Jump to content

Establishing an address and virtual mailboxes


goggleye

Recommended Posts

goggleye

Doing some planning for a move to the Philippines  - would greatly appreciate input on virtual mailboxes and using them as a USA address for a tax and banking address.   I am a new at all this and pretty ignorant.   I could use my daughters address but she is a busy mother and teacher and I don't want to add to her load in life.

I see Traveling Mailbox is pretty well regarded.   they will let you use them as a home address in one of the tax free states.   

If I can avoid taxes in a tax free state   how do you process and file your federal taxes  

Thanks in advance!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Among cruising sailors the service at St. Brenden’s Isle is very well regarded: https://www.sbimailservice.com/

Their website explains it well.

I can tell you that having friends and relatives do it is a hazard. Too many excuses, bias, etc etc.

My US federal tax preparer simply has a power of attorney and that all clicks along effortlessly. The IRS uses his mailing address.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
goggleye

Thanks Daddle I am looking into your suggestions  sounds good  

another question is if I enter the Philippines with my  filipina wife and live in the Philippines with her  how does that affect my visa status  - can I stay in the Philippines with her for free? do I have to check in with immigration?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
5 hours ago, goggleye said:

Thanks Daddle I am looking into your suggestions  sounds good  

another question is if I enter the Philippines with my  filipina wife and live in the Philippines with her  how does that affect my visa status  - can I stay in the Philippines with her for free? do I have to check in with immigration?

You don't have to do anything for a year as long as you get the BB when you arrive...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
goggleye

thanks!   Lots to think through and take care of    taxes,  banking,  getting rid of stuff 

6 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

You don't have to do anything for a year as long as you get the BB when you arrive...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 9:33 PM, goggleye said:

Doing some planning for a move to the Philippines  - would greatly appreciate input on virtual mailboxes and using them as a USA address for a tax and banking address.   I am a new at all this and pretty ignorant.   I could use my daughters address but she is a busy mother and teacher and I don't want to add to her load in life.

I see Traveling Mailbox is pretty well regarded.   they will let you use them as a home address in one of the tax free states.   

If I can avoid taxes in a tax free state   how do you process and file your federal taxes  

Thanks in advance!

I use Traveling Mailbox, it's worked well for me.  I have a/the 'basic' plan with a 'premium' address - 20USD per-month.  I think the 'premium' address is required to get a mailing address that isn't recognizable as a PO Box/Mailbox.

Support has actually been quite good.  I remember that I had a challenge the very 1st time that I went to use the 'premium' address, and that was with the USPS for my forwarding address.  But support helped me figure out the correct format that USPS would accept.  The only other little thing that I can think of is that parcels/boxes end up in Florida, not somewhere local to your 'premium' address.  May not matter at all.

Regarding taxes, I'm assuming that you're asking about establishing residency in the new state where your virtual mailbox 'exists'.  I did do that, I did get a mailing address in a low/no tax state, but I wouldn't be comfortable even trying to address your situation.  Will you be working/generating income in the US, does the old state require a filing stating you've changed residency, does the new state require a filing whether you've earned income or not, etc.  It's just something that someone better versed in US tax laws and regulations should address.  Or you just file in the new state and see if you get challenged. *shrug*  Depending on your situation it may not be too important.  Or it may be very important.

Also, keep in mind that you will may want to/need to have a US phone number capable of receiving text messages.  Or you might get tripped up by a website that requires a text validation.  Many, but perhaps not all have voice and/or email options. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
goggleye
3 hours ago, Mikal said:

I use Traveling Mailbox, it's worked well for me.  I have a/the 'basic' plan with a 'premium' address - 20USD per-month.  I think the 'premium' address is required to get a mailing address that isn't recognizable as a PO Box/Mailbox.

Support has actually been quite good.  I remember that I had a challenge the very 1st time that I went to use the 'premium' address, and that was with the USPS for my forwarding address.  But support helped me figure out the correct format that USPS would accept.  The only other little thing that I can think of is that parcels/boxes end up in Florida, not somewhere local to your 'premium' address.  May not matter at all.

Regarding taxes, I'm assuming that you're asking about establishing residency in the new state where your virtual mailbox 'exists'.  I did do that, I did get a mailing address in a low/no tax state, but I wouldn't be comfortable even trying to address your situation.  Will you be working/generating income in the US, does the old state require a filing stating you've changed residency, does the new state require a filing whether you've earned income or not, etc.  It's just something that someone better versed in US tax laws and regulations should address.  Or you just file in the new state and see if you get challenged. *shrug*  Depending on your situation it may not be too important.  Or it may be very important.

Also, keep in mind that you will may want to/need to have a US phone number capable of receiving text messages.  Or you might get tripped up by a website that requires a text validation.  Many, but perhaps not all have voice and/or email options. 

I think I'm ok on the address   -    that us phone number is a good recommendation to consider  -  I was thinking I will need to work on that or change banks -  Im hoping my google voice number will work out for that .  Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
5 hours ago, goggleye said:

I think I'm ok on the address   -    that us phone number is a good recommendation to consider  -  I was thinking I will need to work on that or change banks -  Im hoping my google voice number will work out for that .  Thanks!

I just used my email address for verification when required to login to sites, like Social Security. They give you an option of texting or emailing a verification code.

Link to post
Share on other sites
SkyMan
On 1/17/2019 at 9:33 PM, goggleye said:

If I can avoid taxes in a tax free state 

If you live here, you aren't a resident of any state so no state tax issues.

9 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

You don't have to do anything for a year as long as you get the BB when you arrive...

I recommend you look into the 13A and if you have time, get one in the US before you leave.  Easiest to do outside the PI.

Also, are you certain you want to drop everything and move here?  Your profile says you've never been here.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
goggleye

 

4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

If you live here, you aren't a resident of any state so no state tax issues.

I recommend you look into the 13A and if you have time, get one in the US before you leave.  Easiest to do outside the PI.

Also, are you certain you want to drop everything and move here?  Your profile says you've never been here.

It appears my profile is not accurate  - thanks for the heads up - I fixed my info on Philippines experience  - before it had I had visited 9 times.   I have been here 9 times over the last nine years.  Each time 35 to 45 days, then a couple of times at Christmas for two weeks  -  I know i don't have the long term living experience many of you have but I would like to try it out there.  I would believe I can try a consular filing later if we wanted to return to the USA but I know that is not guaranteed.

Thanks for the advice on the 13A  - I will try to read up on it 

 

Edited by goggleye
correction
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2019 at 11:08 AM, goggleye said:

I think I'm ok on the address   -    that us phone number is a good recommendation to consider  -  I was thinking I will need to work on that or change banks -  Im hoping my google voice number will work out for that .  Thanks!

Unfortunately, those text messages generated by websites can be problematic.  If you look into it I think that Google Voice will say that those will not work.  There can be an issue with those text messages if the site generating the message uses an abbreviated code as the sending number - and apparently a lot of them do just that.  Some site generated text might work with Google Voice, but again, Google Voice says they will not, they're probably playing it safe. 

Unless something has changed since the last time I was looking into strategies to address this same issue.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
goggleye
21 minutes ago, Mikal said:

Unfortunately, those text messages generated by websites can be problematic.  If you look into it I think that Google Voice will say that those will not work.  There can be an issue with those text messages if the site generating the message uses an abbreviated code as the sending number - and apparently a lot of them do just that.  Some site generated text might work with Google Voice, but again, Google Voice says they will not, they're probably playing it safe. 

Unless something has changed since the last time I was looking into strategies to address this same issue.

Looks like I should make sure my bank will send email codes and not just texts.   Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I prefer email codes because I can just cut and paste. Also, I don’t always have my phone with me when at my PC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Soupeod
10 hours ago, goggleye said:

Looks like I should make sure my bank will send email codes and not just texts.   Thanks

I have google voice and it doesnt work the same here.

i use Coverme an app available for smart phones. 

I have a US phone number that can make and receive calls using data or wifi.

Hope that helps.

3 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I prefer email codes because I can just cut and paste. Also, I don’t always have my phone with me when at my PC. 

Email codes are better IMO.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..