fred42

Easy way to quit smoking?

TequilaSunset

Seriously, I hope you can kick that nasty habit. My parents were 2x packs each a day, I have mild asthma and chronic bronchitis because of that (colds are brutal for me) but fortunately I found the constant gym stuff has reduced my problems quite a bit, but the CB will always be a challenge.  

GOOD LUCK!!

• Like 1

fred42
1 hour ago, TequilaSunset said:

Seriously, I hope you can kick that nasty habit. My parents were 2x packs each a day, I have mild asthma and chronic bronchitis because of that (colds are brutal for me) but fortunately I found the constant gym stuff has reduced my problems quite a bit, but the CB will always be a challenge.  

GOOD LUCK!!

The problem I had was that I actually enjoyed smoking,especially if I`m drinking beer..
The solution I have found is vaping..It`s actually more enjoyable than smoking but at least 95% safer.
As I said..Giving up smokes feels like cheating it`s so easy.. 
This is the cure IMO.

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1

poby
18 hours ago, Province-life said:

Well done, I quit myself with vaping 4-5 years ago, sell it aswell lol.

I'm surprised 12mg isn't killing your throat with a mod? What ohm is your coil? Most use 3mg or 6 tops.

I quit 7 years ago when I started vaping.  Been using 24mg ever since and no plans to reduce.  I like a strong throat hit and I enjoy the nicotine and very glad now that I can get my fix without 95% of the harm caused by a burning tobacco delivery system.

ELEAF IKUUN i80

0.24 ohm coil and 2.9 volt (my preferred setting)

• Like 2

Davaoeno

My take on the whole vape thing after reading the medical reports and research on vaping-  don't be surprised if in the not too distant future vaping will be very much restricted by law  as being dangerous.

[ and no I do not wish to discuss the merits of smoking vs vaping !! lol ]

fred42
7 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

don't be surprised if in the not too distant future vaping will be very much restricted by law  as being dangerous.

I would be surprised if they didn't try to restrict it given the huge amount of tax revenue they are about to lose..Scum bags.

Province-life
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

My take on the whole vape thing after reading the medical reports and research on vaping-  don't be surprised if in the not too distant future vaping will be very much restricted by law  as being dangerous.

[ and no I do not wish to discuss the merits of smoking vs vaping !! lol ]

What medical reports are those? All of the ones showing vaping to be really bad have been debunked, e.g they vape at 10x the heat any vaper would or they keep 'vaping' with their machine for a full minute which no vaper would...

It's already fairly well regulated in the EU, I had to spend around $15k to get 10 flavors tested.

• Like 2

poby
6 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I'm never surprised anymore when paternalistic governments decide to restrict citizen's freedom's on the basis that it's for their own good and we should thank them for it.  Makes no sense of course but it's what governments do.

But until that happens, I am glad I can make the informed decision to vape, knowing it might or might not kill me one day.  I prefer to take responsibility for what I put in my body rather than have that choice taken away.  And if it turns out in a few years, I regret making that decision, it certainly wont be the government I will be blaming!

Edited by poby
  • Like 3

SkyMan
7 hours ago, poby said:

I'm never surprised anymore when paternalistic governments decide to restrict citizen's freedom's on the basis that it's for their own good and we should thank them for it.  Makes no sense of course but it's what governments do.

But until that happens, I am glad I can make the informed decision to vape, knowing it might or might not kill me one day.  I prefer to take responsibility for what I put in my body rather than have that choice taken away.  And if it turns out in a few years, I regret making that decision, it certainly wont be the government I will be blaming!

I could tell you why but then my post would get moved to the CR and I'd get notifications that so and so quoted me in a reply and I wouldn't be able to see the reply because it's in the CR and I'm not a member nor do I want to be one.

Davaoeno
22 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I could tell you why but then my post would get moved to the CR and I'd get notifications that so and so quoted me in a reply and I wouldn't be able to see the reply because it's in the CR and I'm not a member nor do I want to be one.

Being a bit dramatic aren't we?? Hehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CardiacKid

The method I used to quit smoking worked quite well for me. However, I cannot recommend its use to others. After about 50 years of smoking I developed COPD and Emphysema. When I finally quit, I was at Stage 4 and dependent on supplemental oxygen to breathe. Now my  movements are severely restricted and I get to spend lots of time at home. COPD and Emphysema are silent killers. By the time you notice it, you are usually pretty far down the road. Progression of the diseases can be slowed, but there is no cure except a lung transplant. I was cheerfully told by my pulmonary doctor's assistant that lung transplant eligibility ends at age 65 and at age 73 I was out of luck. If you do smoke, keep your affairs in order so your wife is not left clueless about your wishes. If you can't quit for yourself, try quitting for your wife and children. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Irenicus
19 hours ago, poby said:

I'm never surprised anymore when paternalistic governments decide to restrict citizen's freedom's on the basis that it's for their own good and we should thank them for it

I am always surprised when First Worlders say something like this after living in the Third World.

I mean, you can really see that in the Philippines what with non-enforcement of laws and regulations concerning such simple things as helmets, vehicle emissions, littering, counterfeit medications, construction codes, vehicular safety inspections, ocean dumping, raw sewage outlets, sobriety checkpoints, etc. etc. etc.

People are idiots.  That's why government oversight and enforcement is necessary.  Sometimes Big Brother has to step in to protect us from ourselves.

Back to topic:  I quit every year when I visit family and friends in the US.  Vape and patches work great.  But then my dumb ass starts smoking again a few months after I get back to the Philippines.  Hopefully, this next trip will be the last time I smoke.  

• Like 4

SkyMan
On 1/16/2019 at 11:08 AM, Irenicus said:

I am always surprised when First Worlders say something like this after living in the Third World.

I mean, you can really see that in the Philippines what with non-enforcement of laws and regulations concerning such simple things as helmets, vehicle emissions, littering, counterfeit medications, construction codes, vehicular safety inspections, ocean dumping, raw sewage outlets, sobriety checkpoints, etc. etc. etc.

People are idiots.  That's why government oversight and enforcement is necessary.  Sometimes Big Brother has to step in to protect us from ourselves.

Back to topic:  I quit every year when I visit family and friends in the US.  Vape and patches work great.  But then my dumb ass starts smoking again a few months after I get back to the Philippines.  Hopefully, this next trip will be the last time I smoke.  

I agree but there needs to be moderation on this and with factual sense involved.  Cutting off cell phones because someone might trigger a bomb with a phone ignores the fact there are many other ways to trigger a bomb.  Banning cigs or ecigs because the Gov't will later be paying for your health care is smart but perhaps allowing smokers to waive their healthcare rights would be smarter. I wonder if given that choice how many would quit?

Province-life
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

I agree but there needs to be moderation on this and with factual sense involved.  Cutting off cell phones because someone might trigger a bomb with a phone ignores the fact there are many other ways to trigger a bomb.  Banning cigs or ecigs because the Gov't will later be paying for your health care is smart but perhaps allowing smokers to waive their healthcare rights would be smarter. I wonder if given that choice how many would quit?

Smokers pay way more tax than they cost. I've not seen any studies done on it but I'm not sure dying from lung cancer etc would even cost the government more anyway, I expect it's much cheaper than living into your 80s or 90s and being in and out of hospital for 5-10 years.

lamoe
On 1/15/2019 at 11:46 PM, CardiacKid said:

The method I used to quit smoking worked quite well for me. However, I cannot recommend its use to others. After about 50 years of smoking I developed COPD and Emphysema. When I finally quit, I was at Stage 4 and dependent on supplemental oxygen to breathe. Now my  movements are severely restricted and I get to spend lots of time at home. COPD and Emphysema are silent killers. By the time you notice it, you are usually pretty far down the road. Progression of the diseases can be slowed, but there is no cure except a lung transplant. I was cheerfully told by my pulmonary doctor's assistant that lung transplant eligibility ends at age 65 and at age 73 I was out of luck. If you do smoke, keep your affairs in order so your wife is not left clueless about your wishes. If you can't quit for yourself, try quitting for your wife and children. 

My solution was also forced upon me by Mother Nature - had a stroke - 3 days ICU - in essence she said you stop I'll stop you

10 years ago - never had a cig after released from hospital.

Miss it after 45 years of smoking? Damn straight - I still do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CardiacKid
11 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Miss it after 45 years of smoking? Damn straight - I still do.

Same with me. I still look look at a burning cigarette  with a sense of longing.