Jim Sibbick

History Of The Living In Cebu Forum

shadow

Ahhh, memories. Had forgotten much of that, thanks.

• Like 3

Jim Sibbick
5 minutes ago, shadow said:

Ahhh, memories. Had forgotten much of that, thanks.

You must have been a moderator in LINP as well were you?

shadow
1 minute ago, Jim Sibbick said:

You must have been a moderator in LINP as well were you?

For a short time, until Don got pissed at me for mentioning Whitall's sausages!

;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Bama

Wow, thanks for the history lesson.

Had remembered the name Harrington and perhaps a yahoo group or LinP that I joined years ago.

Recall a thread about corruption in the PI was on the website. As I was in Manila then it would have been hard to miss the screaming headlines of the Manila Times.The police chief of Manila was caught running a kidnap for ramson scheme and was storing the victims in the city jails until monies were paid. I posted the story on the website and Don (if I recall correctly) sent me an email busting my tail for even mentioning what had happened. He then banned me from the group. Wasn't sure what to make of that then.Still don't.

• Like 1

Jack Rat

I was a member of the old forum you mention all those years ago. . I remember the likes of Sumo's and some of his old cronies hilarious comments, but often at other members expense. Seemingly the moderators are a little more thin skinned these days, but still there are still one or two characters who don't take themselves too seriously, who keep us smiling.     

• Like 1

hyaku

Went to Ratsky a few times to the get togethers. Also on Saturday night to watch live bands. Back in 200? someone need O- blood for an operation and survival. Herrington refused to put up my request for donors on LinP1. Paul put it on the Yahoo group. 

• Like 2

easy44

Does anyone know if Don H. Is still with us? He is in his 80's by now and I haven't heard from him or about him for a few years. I always got along with Don and enjoyed a chat every now and then.

Edited by easy44
  • Like 1

hyaku

On Facebook as Don A. Herrington. The forum lists members that are also on here.

Edited by hyaku
  • Like 1

Jack Rat

Jim, were the groups cebucitytoday and LivinginThePhilippines3 anyway connected? I was a member of both groups a few years ago.  Possibly Don may have been involved with both groups.

easy44
1 hour ago, hyaku said:

On Facebook as Don A. Herrington. The forum lists members that are also on here.

Yes I saw that, but nothing recent posted.

Chris24

Thank you Jim.  This might be the only place this history is memorialized.  I married a wonderful woman from the Philippines in mid-2000 (we met here in the U.S., she was an OFW), and did not travel to the Philippines until 2007, for a funeral one-year remembrance unfortunately.  After that I found of course Don Herrington's site and joined the yahoo group, and later found some other groups including LinC, which alone has survived that era (as far as I know) as an online community of expats, wannabe expats, travelers and those who otherwise have links to the Philippines.  Your name comes up often from that era and afterward.   Years pass and things change, and it is good to hear from those who experienced it firsthand how events and the overall community evolved over that time.

• Like 5

Irenicus
On 1/13/2019 at 1:28 PM, Jim Sibbick said:

Long before free video sharing services such as yahoo videos or youtube, as far as i can tell, I had the first free Philippines videos available online.

Yep.  I remember watching all of your videos before I came to the Philippines.  You are right, there are so many Philippine expat vloggers now, it's insane.

• Like 2

Jim Sibbick
On 1/14/2019 at 2:29 PM, Jack Rat said:

Jim, were the groups cebucitytoday and LivinginThePhilippines3 anyway connected? I was a member of both groups a few years ago.  Possibly Don may have been involved with both groups.

Sorry, I don't remember Cebucitytoday

• Thanks 1

David_LivinginTalisay

Don H., was among the first foreigners, that  I met after relocating to Cebu from Hong Kong on 1st May 2001.

I can't remember exactly where, and when, we met up in Cebu City and chatted over a meal and some drinks and the names of the others who were there at this Bar/Restaurant, but I am guessing it was in the Fuente Osmenia area?

I recall an invite to his house (up V Ramos Ave, off to the right, if my memory recall, is still working), a while later
Seem to recall Paul Petrea, and J J, being there and perhaps Perry Gamsby. and a few others. I am not sure if 'Big  Jim' was there, however?

Facebook did not exist, back in 2001, nor did decent, affordable Internet connections either, in Cebu!

Those 'sessions'@ Ratskys were something else (never supported or mentioned on Don's Group as far as I can remember)?

https://www.philstar.com/entertainment/2001/09/14/133593/swinging-time-cebu-ratsky-opening

"
Randy Santiago’s friends and family came in full force to grace the opening of Ratsky’s.

Ratsky

Cebu, Cebu

This establishment is already closed.

Stall EC1-C, Ground Floor Ayala Ent. Center, Cebu Business Park, Cebu, Cebu, Philippines

(+63 32) 234-2113

(032) 234-2113

Open from 6pm to 3am daily

I am pretty sure it opened earlier than that on a Sunday.  Our Filipina  'partners would attends 'Mass'
while us 'guys' made the most of the Pizza & UNLIMITED draft SMB BEER, until just before 6PM?

I did attend, some of the Talent Contest  sessions, in the evening with Sha-Sha and Ana-Katrina, @ Ratsky also!

• Like 1