lamoe

Denmark plans to add more land

lamoe

https://newatlas.com/holmene-urban-power-denmark/58004/

Assuming all goes well, construction of the Holmene project is expected to begin in 2022 and be completed in 2040(Credit: Urban Power for Hvidovre Municipality)

View gallery - 4 images

The Danish government and greater Copenhagen mayors, working with Urban Power architecture and planning, have embarked on an ambitious scheme to create nine new islands off the coast of Copenhagen. The massive land reclamation project will provide new space for leisure and industry use, as well as a lot of energy production.

The project is named Holmene (the Islets) and will be located 10 km (6.2 miles) south of Copenhagen. It's a huge endeavor and the nine islands will be made from surplus soil derived from the region's subway and building projects – some 26 million cubic meters (around 900 million cubic ft) – will be used.

The islands will provide around 3 million sq m (roughly 32 million sq ft) of new space, including commercial and industrial areas and a natural landscape for sports and outdoor activities. Green energy is a major focus too and it will boast wind turbines and what Urban Power calls the largest Waste-to-Energy plant in Northern Europe.

Additionally, flood defenses and inaccessible reefs and islets meant for local wildlife will be created.

Construction is expected to begin in 2022 and to be completed in 2040. The construction budget is estimated at €425 million (about US$490 million) and the islands will be created one at a time. The first island should be up and running in about six years.

"The strategy has several advantages," explains Urban Power's Arne Cermak Nielsen. "It can be developed stepwise without leaving the impression of an unfinished project, if a new economic recession appears. Furthermore the islands can be thematically developed, leaving the best conditions for the innovative industry and research within green tech, bio tech, life science and future yet unknown sectors. The quality of being by the water should not be underestimated, and the shores of the islands and the delta that emerge between them has a unique potential."

Sources: Urban Power, Danish Government

image.thumb.png.04f417ed66081206bbcca7a4e88027a4.png

• Like 1

TequilaSunset

Smoke screen... Immigrant Islands

• Haha 5

Headshot

As long as they don't build their islands in the South China Sea, they'll be fine.

Sealover
2 hours ago, TequilaSunset said:

Smoke screen... Immigrant Islands

No, now we put them on a lonely island without ferries and police boat patrols around. It's for rejected asylum seekers and criminals immigrants 

In the Philippines, they built roads before an election, in Denmark they built islands, election coming lol

SkyMan

I imagine a lot of water front owners are pissed.

MickyG

Not sure that they are not extending away from industrial and commercial area.

As they plan to do this one island at a time I suspect that full consultation will be just that, over many years as an ongoing exercise. Denmark has one of the lowest  corruption rankings in the world so I would no be that cynical about Votes et all. It sure ain't the Philippines!

• Like 1

Goetz1965

Build 2 dams between Mactan and Cebu - fill Mactan Strait and you have a huge area of Land to settle...

• Thanks 1

liquido

If your a believer in global warming then Denamrk must not believe it...

Headshot
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

Build 2 dams between Mactan and Cebu - fill Mactan Strait and you have a huge area of Land to settle...

Any idea how deep the strait is?

MickyG
1 hour ago, liquido said:

If your a believer in global warming then Denamrk must not believe it...

I think you will find that they will have a net work of Dykes and pumps built in. in addition they will be measuring sea levels over the next as many years as they need to ensure the height of the islands is good for purpose. i have more faith in their planning and organisational  plus engineering skills. They, like the Dutch  are used to reclaiming. 

lamoe
36 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Any idea how deep the strait is?

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/cebu.htm

Cebu City, the capitol of the province of the same name, is the second largest city in the Archipelago and is a port of entry. Figure Vl-24 shows Cebu Harbor, one of the finest in the Philippines, formed by the strait between Cebu and Mactan Island.

Limits of the harbor are defined by a line extending from Bantolinao Point on the northern tip of Mactan Island, due north to the mainland of the island of Cebu and a line extending from Lauis Ledge on the southwestern tip of Mactan Island to Lipata Point on Cebu. Pilotage is compulsory within the harbor limits.

Cebu Harbor can be entered from the south. The northeast channel is narrow and heavily congested, having a least navigable width of 150 yards and a controlling depth of 26 feet. A bridge connects Mactan Island to the mainland with vertical clearance of 89 feet.

SkyMan
4 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

I've suggested that. They could have both ends as ports.

rfm010

From the title of the thread i thought the danes were invading the brits again.

Sealover
7 hours ago, rfm010 said:

From the title of the thread i thought the danes were invading the brits again.

No, it's not the brits, it's the first step in a secret plan to take Sweden back as a Danish province as China does to the Philippines. Joke aside, I think it can be a good idea, with 380 companies working with it, and factories to supply a part of the daily needs in Copenhagen and in other places. Jobs are good for the economy

• Like 1