Sign in to follow this  
liquido

Will Walmart Ever Come Here

liquido
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Not everything sold in the Philippines is junk, but I think he was talking about the warranties, not the items themselves. If you want to use a warranty, the sooner the better. First of all, they require you to keep the receipt and the box. Then they print the receipts with an ink that disappears after a few weeks. Plus, who is going to keep the boxes for everything the have bought on the off-chance the warranty will have to be used.

Correct

Province-life
4 hours ago, lamoe said:

I've had items accepted for return also but most places make it very difficult.

China has Ali express

Yes that's my point, the Philippines has plenty of big companies also that wouldn't just let Walmart stroll in and take the market.

smokey
1 hour ago, Province-life said:

Yes that's my point, the Philippines has plenty of big companies also that wouldn't just let Walmart stroll in and take the market.

So its up to other companies on who can open up.   

Province-life
13 minutes ago, smokey said:

So its up to other companies on who can open up.   

They can open here, they just might not make a profit.

• Haha 1

liquido
9 hours ago, Dafey said:

My Ex used to buy stuff and use it for a year then return it to Walmart. It was embarrassing but they never blinked an eye just gave her money back or a store credit and shouted 'NEXT' !

Thats the real meaning of customer service unlike here were they say" I apologize for your inconvience but i cannot do shite for you"

• Like 1

ttmctoad

Walmart destroys local businesses. A double edged sword.

• Like 2

Headshot

Walmart only destroys businesses that never had to compete ... and therefore never learned how to compete.

• Thanks 3

shadow

When I was growing up in the late 60s early 70s, my Father owned and ran a small electronics store. He was for several years the only CB radio distributor and repair facility in the area. Slowly, more and more distributors started up, and were in competition with him, or so they thought. Fred Meyer opened a store in the area, and all the other businesses banned together to try and stop progress. They wanted Dad to join them, and he refused. They said "but they are selling radios so cheap, nobody can compete with them." He said, "they will increase my business, as I am the sole authorized repair facility, and after they buy their cheap unit and can't make it work right, they will come to me, I will give them great service, and the word will get around and I will have more business than I can handle."

He was right, 5 years later he retired reasonably well off, while the other distributors slowly just faded away.

Walmart cannot compete with good service. One who gives exemplary service in his field will succeed where others fail!

One lesson from Dad that was true!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

savarity

He was right, 5 years later he retired reasonably well off, while the other distributors slowly just faded away.
Walmart cannot compete with good service. One who gives exemplary service in his field will succeed where others fail!
One lesson from Dad that was true!

Honestly, it kind of sounds like the other distributors were right. Within 5 years the cheap place that moved in had crushed all the competition.

I mean successful retail or distribution businesses are usually sold, not closed, when the owner retires. It sounds like the public chose cheap over quality, which the majority always will.

Stuff from China is so cheap now that for many items I would never even consider having anything repaired, I'd just buy a new replacement. For some things, it's probably cheaper to buy a dozen new then pay for hours of first world professional labor rates to have it fixed.
  • Like 2

shadow
6 hours ago, savarity said:

Honestly, it kind of sounds like the other distributors were right. Within 5 years the cheap place that moved in had crushed all the competition.

I mean successful retail or distribution businesses are usually sold, not closed, when the owner retires. It sounds like the public chose cheap over quality, which the majority always will.

Stuff from China is so cheap now that for many items I would never even consider having anything repaired, I'd just buy a new replacement. For some things, it's probably cheaper to buy a dozen new then pay for hours of first world professional labor rates to have it fixed.

My point was someone giving good service will do fine competing against the huge chain stores, because some people will always pay the price for good service. However, those that died along the way knew nothing about giving good service!

Mt Father took the time to answer their questions and help them with the problems they bought at Fred Meyer, most often for free. They told all their friends, who came and bought from him instead of Freddies.

We are a very small company competing against huge international companies. I have used the same strategy, look at what the people here say about our service;

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/94245-does-anyone-have-experience-with-pinayvisa/

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/109534-a-shout-out-to-shadow-larry-and-romy/

We have thrived while most other small operations trying to make it have failed in this business.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
33 minutes ago, shadow said:

because some people will always pay the price for good service.

I agree with that - if in a Western country . Here I find the average pinoy will always chose " cheap" over " good"  ! 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

I agree with that - if in a Western country . Here I find the average pinoy will always chose " cheap" over " good"  ! 

True, even if it costs them a lot more in the long run. That is why sachets are so popular here. They are cheap (even though the price is high for the amount of product you get).

cookie47
Not everything sold in the Philippines is junk, but I think he was talking about the warranties, not the items themselves. If you want to use a warranty, the sooner the better. First of all, they require you to keep the receipt and the box. Then they print the receipts with an ink that disappears after a few weeks. Plus, who is going to keep the boxes for everything the have bought on the off-chance the warranty will have to be used.
Yes,,, to MY surprise we returned two LED light globes that had failed after 6 weeks.(Two of ten). My wife went through a box of receipts, marched into Ace Hardware with the globes,,, BINGO, Replaced... With a smile.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

My Ex used to buy stuff and use it for a year then return it to Walmart. It was embarrassing but they never blinked an eye just gave her money back or a store credit and shouted 'NEXT' !
Your not alone, KMART Australia has a very generous return policy and my wife made very good use of it.
Eventually i would not go with her..

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

SkyMan
14 hours ago, ttmctoad said:

Walmart destroys local businesses. A double edged sword.

True but not through anything nefarious or even unethical.  I prefer to use local stores, particularly for groceries, but when I need a number of things that would require trips to several different stores I just go to Walmart.  Walmart doesn't even require a receipt for a return if you paid by CC.  

• Like 1

wondersailor
3 hours ago, cookie47 said:

es,,, to MY surprise we returned two LED light globes that had failed after 6 weeks.(Two of ten). My wife went through a box of receipts, marched into Ace Hardware with the globes,,, BINGO, Replaced... With a smile.

I was in Handyman several weeks ago for several weeks ago for a couple of longer bolts. They had the longer bolts but no nuts to make sure they were an exact match. They looked the same although stainless ($). I took them home and nope, wrong threads. The receipt stated 7 day refund. Took them back the next day and when I told them I was bringing them back the store employees acted like I just announced a holdup! They got the store manager who refused a refund or even a store credit despite what the receipt stated. After going round and round I grabbed up the bolts and told the manager that I would keep the bolts but would never shop there again, ever!                                      As far as Walmart being a mom & pop killer, would not the malls and their department stores be also? They haven't and I don't believe Walmart does either. Time marches on, businesses come and businesses go. Who ever meets the customer's needs survives. The way the free marketplace should be. If you want protectionist rules you give up free enterprise. I admit I do love Walmart's return policies and the stores here need a little shaking up in that regard.

• Thanks 1