Sign in to follow this  
liquido

Will Walmart Ever Come Here

towboat72

Why on Earth do we need a Walmart in the Philippines???

We can already buy all the Chinese junk we need.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Woolf
6 minutes ago, towboat72 said:

´Bingo   :not_see:    :thumbs_up:

Headshot

If Walmart were to move real superstores into the Philippines and keep their American business model, stores like S&R and Landers would quickly go out of business. Companies like SM, Metro and Gaisano would have to scramble to change their ways and keep up. For that reason, I don't believe that the powers that be in the Philippines will ever allow Walmart to independently set up stores here. If they do, I will be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

• Like 2

Janneo

I used to do some shopping at Walmart when I worked a little in Beijing. Don't remember it being particularly cheap. Good selection of groceries and other stuff though.

BossHog

Used to shop at the Daegu, South Korea Walmart. Pretty good for baby supplies and stuff. Then they started going out of business because the French firm Carrefour bought them out. They put wine on sale at about a dollar a bottle. Took me three taxis to get it all home. Thanks Walmart!

• Like 2

lamoe
8 hours ago, Woolf said:

´Bingo   :not_see:    :thumbs_up:

8 hours ago, towboat72 said:

Walmart actually has a returns policy that extends for longer than walking out the door.

If they follow the local - you bought it so what if it fails 1 day later policy  - then it will fail.

• Like 2

Province-life

Not as easy as it sounds to just stroll into an Asian country and take over the market. Ebay failed in China, Amazon doesn't do very well there either.

• Like 1

Woolf
9 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Walmart actually has a returns policy that extends for longer than walking out the door.

If they follow the local - you bought it so what if it fails 1 day later policy  - then it will fail.

I have had 2 items exchange at CDR-King 2 days after I bought them

smokey
23 hours ago, Cgu said:

Where is that coming from? Retail stores are allowed 100% foreign ownership, as long as paid up capital is > 2.5M USD. So for Walmart this is not a problem. Also, I think they want to set the limit to 250K USD. There are already some here (like it was mentioned H&M or UniClo....and Ikea in 2020)

For me it poses the question, why would someone in the Philippines want a Walmart here in the first place? It seems ridiculous moving to the Philippines and then wanting the same setup. 

Really why do people drive cars and live in cement houses why no just live in a lein too and.pitch water use a hole in the ground and.banana leaves so if you want to be all living philippines live as they do

• Like 2

lamoe
11 hours ago, Woolf said:

I have had 2 items exchange at CDR-King 2 days after I bought them

I've had items accepted for return also but most places make it very difficult.

11 hours ago, Province-life said:

Not as easy as it sounds to just stroll into an Asian country and take over the market. Ebay failed in China, Amazon doesn't do very well there either.

China has Ali express

liquido
11 hours ago, Woolf said:

have had 2 items exchange at CDR-King 2 days after I bought them

Mostly everything you buy there has to be exchanged in a few days..

• Haha 2

Woolf
44 minutes ago, liquido said:

Mostly everything you buy there has to be exchanged in a few days..

That is NOT mt experience 

I have bought about 6+ routers still good after 6+ years

1 vacuum cleaner still good after 4+ years

+ many other things that I been satisfied with 

Headshot
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

That is NOT mt experience 

I have bought about 6+ routers still good after 6+ years

1 vacuum cleaner still good after 4+ years

+ many other things that I been satisfied with 

Not everything sold in the Philippines is junk, but I think he was talking about the warranties, not the items themselves. If you want to use a warranty, the sooner the better. First of all, they require you to keep the receipt and the box. Then they print the receipts with an ink that disappears after a few weeks. Plus, who is going to keep the boxes for everything the have bought on the off-chance the warranty will have to be used.

• Like 2

lamoe

Was looking at an E-Trike from CDR

Warranty on web = 1 year

In store - SM

Motor 6 months

Battery - none

Dafey
15 hours ago, lamoe said:

My Ex used to buy stuff and use it for a year then return it to Walmart. It was embarrassing but they never blinked an eye just gave her money back or a store credit and shouted 'NEXT' !

• Like 2