liquido

Will Walmart Ever Come Here

Headshot
1 minute ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

maybe or maybe not but you're correct as it does show an example of how a walmart or any other outlet might be opened.  it's very doable. 

Franchising isn't part of Walmart's business model.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Those that do not franchise their brand (like Walmart) not so much.

not so much until the need arises?

3 minutes ago, Headshot said:

You did realize that most of the US brands you see in the malls here are franchises, didn't you?

not until you told me just now.  i rely on you for this kind of stuff. 

MickyG

google facebook.com/walmartphilippines for a store not so near you.

Edited by MickyG

Headshot

It is easy for Walmart to set up stores in China. That is where they source most of their merchandise anyway. It is interesting that Walmart is seen as an upscale brand in China (according to reports).

• Thanks 1

Headshot

All brands that get franchised in the Philippines end up operating under the Filipino business model (which is nothing like the American business model). Maybe that is why some businesses do not franchise. They want their business run the way they say, and not the way a Filipino (or any other nationality) wants to run it. I think corruption is also a huge reason why companies like Walmart refuse to open branches here. The deck is automatically stacked against them and in favor of Filipino competitors.

liquido

I think the Costco concept of starting S&R is or was a  partial owner of [email protected] and they have done fairly well so maybe Walmart could do the same?...

Edited by liquido

easy44
1 minute ago, liquido said:

I think the Costco concept of starting S&R is or was a  partial owner of [email protected] and they have done fairly well so maybe Walmart could do the same?...

My understanding from what I have read is that COSTCO never had any interest in S&R. People assume they did because they saw Kirkland products on the shelf but they were imported by S&R and their warehouse layout was copied. That's why their prices were so high. They had to mark them up from what they paid COSTCO.

• Like 3

lamoe
20 minutes ago, easy44 said:

My understanding from what I have read is that COSTCO never had any interest in S&R. People assume they did because they saw Kirkland products on the shelf but they were imported by S&R and their warehouse layout was copied. That's why their prices were so high. They had to mark them up from what they paid COSTCO.

Same with Members Mark from Walmart at lander's

Also private labeled by Walmart - Simply Right, Artisan Fresh and Daily Chef.

savarity

Walmart's success was it's system, not just low prices. Hard to replicate in the land of "sorry sir, out of stock."

• Thanks 1

smokey
7 hours ago, liquido said:

As a costco guy maybe you noticed if its 10 dollars in costco is very often 1000 peso here could that be tarriff? Or just lots of.taxes

wondersailor

When I lived in the States I quit Walmart as a grocery store. You would go in with a list and between a third to a half of your list you would find a hole on the shelf as they do little restocking till late at night. I personally think they had the "Sorry, sir, not available" down perfectly. Began to think they were practicing their move into the Philippines . 

• Like 1

Cgu
12 hours ago, cogon88 said:

Foreigners or Foreign Corporation can't own a retail store in the Phillippines plus the court system in non existent the only way to build a Walmart is to have 60% Filipino Ownership / China does not have that restriction thats the reason Tesla is Building a New Car plant there 

Where is that coming from? Retail stores are allowed 100% foreign ownership, as long as paid up capital is > 2.5M USD. So for Walmart this is not a problem. Also, I think they want to set the limit to 250K USD. There are already some here (like it was mentioned H&M or UniClo....and Ikea in 2020)

For me it poses the question, why would someone in the Philippines want a Walmart here in the first place? It seems ridiculous moving to the Philippines and then wanting the same setup. 

• Like 2

liquido
7 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Will they? Not likely as the current size of the middle class is not large enough to support a Walmart.

Your right about the middle class here..If there was a substantial middle class here there would be lines around the block waiting to get in a Mega Walmart..Im sure the middle class here is well aware of the popularity of what Walmart has to offer..If the Chinese are loving the 400 plus stores you could imagine what it would be like here..I know here in Davao on any saturday or sunday the parking lot at S&R is 80% filled with SUV's and Pickups...   

lamoe
12 hours ago, smokey said:

As a costco guy maybe you noticed if its 10 dollars in costco is very often 1000 peso here could that be tarriff? Or just lots of.taxes

Markup by middlemen - in this case 3 (4 shipments) - Costo = 1 (2 or 3 shipments)?

Hot sauce - made in Costa Rica, sold / shipped to company in Irving  Texas, sold / shipped to company to Manila, sold / shipped to Robinson's (warehouse), shipped to Fuentes store

Edited by lamoe