liquido

Will Walmart Ever Come Here

liquido

I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in China and he told me there where over 400 Walmarts in China.How can they compete with ll the cheap crap that comes from there?.I was in disbelief when he told me that..He asked me how many we have here and I told him none.We came up with all kind of answers why not but what do you think the real reason is?At first I thought it could be the supply chain but then im thinking it does not seem to be a problem with China and they are strict as hell...

• Like 1

lamoe
5 minutes ago, liquido said:

I was talking to a friend of mine who lives in China and he told me there where over 400 Walmarts in China.How can they compete with ll the cheap crap that comes from there?.I was in disbelief when he told me that..He asked me how many we have here and I told him none.We came up with all kind of answers why not but what do you think the real reason is?At first I thought it could be the supply chain but then im thinking it does not seem to be a problem with China and they are strict as hell...

Would start in Manila(?)  and since most of the stuff in Walmart is from China the supply logistics to get it there are actually less?

They do have very good market analysis / location vs demographics departments.

Walmart is renowned as the "small business killer" - Maybe they figure the cost of fire insurance would be prohibitive?

• Like 1

liquido
9 minutes ago, lamoe said:

- Maybe they figure the cost of fire insurance would be prohibitive? 

Good point

Edited by liquido

SkyMan

If it is doable they would have done it.  That is a lesson for those thinking to start a business here.

• Like 2

cogon88

Foreigners or Foreign Corporation can't own a retail store in the Phillippines plus the court system in non existent the only way to build a Walmart is to have 60% Filipino Ownership / China does not have that restriction thats the reason Tesla is Building a New Car plant there 

Edited by cogon88
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Headshot

Will Walmart ever come here?

Short answer: NO.

• Like 3

jtmwatchbiz
31 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Will Walmart ever come here?

Short answer: NO.

even though the title was posed as a question,   i believe the topic was posted to encourage discussion and not a stern answer like yours.  i think it is entirely possible some walmarts may open locally and just like other foreign companies they could set things up according to local laws ownership-wise.  look at all the other foreign corporations operating here.  it's interesting to learn in this thread that walmart is in China so time will tell if they follows suit and come here too. 

smokey

Gee who puts up 100%of the money to control 40% of the store??? 

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
2 minutes ago, smokey said:

Gee who puts up 100%of the money to control 40% of the store??? 

ummm...wouldn't that be any number of American corporations that have opened up outlets here?  i think any drive down a main road or stroll in a mall will answer your question.

Woolf

I was very surprised to see  H&M (Hennes & Mauritz) here

smokey
8 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

ummm...wouldn't that be any number of American corporations that have opened up outlets here?  i think any drive down a main road or stroll in a mall will answer your question.

And are all stores owned by main or are they just franchises?  So here is a win win you open a walmart here 

Edited by smokey

jtmwatchbiz
6 minutes ago, smokey said:

And are all stores owned by main or are they just franchises?

i think that is a question which could be applied to any outlet or store,  but your question as to who has been answered.  it's done every day here by foreign corporations.  . 

cogon88
13 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

Most of the franchises such as McDonald, Burger King etc are owned by local Politician or Family they usually buy the franchise rights for the entire country. Then sub the franchises to their allies. There are no US corporate owned stores that I know of here I may be wrong

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Headshot
21 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

Any company that franchises their brand will gladly set up shop here (franchises totally owned by Filipinos). Those that do not franchise their brand (like Walmart) not so much. You did realize that most of the US brands you see in the malls here are franchises, didn't you?

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 1

jtmwatchbiz
2 minutes ago, cogon88 said:

There are no US corporate owned stores that I know of here I may be wrong

maybe or maybe not but you're correct as it does show an example of how a walmart or any other outlet might be opened.  it's very doable.