JohnSurrey

Tenant wants a puppy dog...

JohnSurrey

I have a small property in the UK which I let out.

The tenant wants a puppy dog, which I'm (surprisingly) ok about as the guy's been there two years already and no problems etc.

Anyway... to cover the potential damage I planning to increase the rent and possibly ask for a larger deposit to repaint and re-carpet when he moves out...

Anyone had a similar situation and taken alternative measures ?

jtmwatchbiz

our family has some rental property in Connecticut and generally pets are allowed.  we find it's kind of tough nowadays to find decent reliable tenants so since they all came with good references pets are no biggie.  i don't know about the UK but where i come from carpeting isn't so popular anymore so none of our places have it.  i suppose if carpeting was still popular in our area it would be a concern. 

• Like 2

Davaoeno
1 hour ago, JohnSurrey said:

Anyone had a similar situation and taken alternative measures ?

I had a similar situation . I ended up in suing the guy for thousands of dollars for damages and getting him and the beast from Hell evicted. !!!  Your experiences might be different of course.  Those puppies dont look so cute when they have destroyed your carpets, destroyed your furniture and destroyed your yard. If you are lucky they havent bitten the neighbors kids. 

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
1 hour ago, Davaoeno said:

I had a similar situation . I ended up in suing the guy for thousands of dollars for damages and getting him and the beast from Hell evicted. !!!  

your opinion is the opposite of mine and you got me very upset so now i'm going to sue you!. 

• Like 3

wondersailor

It has been my experience in the southern US to require a pet deposit of between $100 and $200 per pet (cat or dog). Fish or birds I haven't a clue.

• Like 1