Jim Sibbick

8 month tourist visa extension

Jim Sibbick

Any one have any idea how this happened

Sent my passport for a 6 month extension on Wednesday with a reputable agent. It arrived back today with 2 extensions. A 2 month extension and a 6 month extension. All receipted correctly with immigration stamps on the receipts showing departure date in 8 months. No stickers in passport though, which I was already expecting after reading other forums. 

P7930 for first 2 months including ACR-I card then P8340 for next 6 months.

SkyMan

Other than asking the agent why they didn't do 2 6 month extensions, is it a problem?

Woolf

I have heard of something like this before

Someone asked for a 6 months, but got only 2 month

he complaint, they could not change what they had already done

as far as I remember they even asked  manila head office

what they did, was as in your example, they gave him another 6 months  so 8 months in total

Kreole

Unless there is someone else who had this experience, then I am the one who must have written about it last year.  It was just an oversight.  I had 6 month extension written on my form, but the agent did not note that and gave me the automatic 2 month extension.  When I pointed this out to the BOI, they realized their mistake and made good even better, by issuing me an additional 6 month visa.  Thus 8 months. 

I was surprised and very thankful.  However, do not take this as an example of what to expect; the BOI just went out of its way to correct their mistake.  By the way, I did not "complain"; I just asked why the 2 month visa instead of the 6 month I had requested.

Edited by Kreole
  • Like 1

Woolf

@kreole

ok  this is the one I remember

Jim Sibbick
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Other than asking the agent why they didn't do 2 6 month extensions, is it a problem?

One minor problem, I believe if I had done it the other way around, 6 months then 2 months, it would have cost about P1000 less. In the scheme of things.... nothing really. 

BUT

I would have felt might pissed off though if my plan was to leave in 6 months time. 

Kreole

Of one thing we foreigner should be infinitely thankful to the Philippines immigration laws is the fact that we are allowed to stay in the PH for up to 36 months before being required to leave the country.  This is remarkably generous.  In addition, we are also allowed (2) 6 month extensions within that 36 month period.  Compare this to other countries which are much more restrictive.  And to top it off, there is no penalty for doing a turnaround and return to the PH within 24 hours.  Some other countries will not allow you to return for 3 months (+/-) once your visa permit has expired.  And I have no problem paying the fees, whatever the costs, because the service they are providing is really generous.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan

@Jim Sibbick So how did that happen?  Did you just give them your pp and a bunch of money?  The agencies know what the fees are so did you ask for 2 or 6 months why did they over charge you? 

7 hours ago, Kreole said:

In addition, we are also allowed (2) 6 month extensions 

More depending on the office you go to.

Jim Sibbick
9 hours ago, SkyMan said:

@Jim Sibbick So how did that happen?  Did you just give them your pp and a bunch of money?  The agencies know what the fees are so did you ask for 2 or 6 months why did they over charge you? 

I handed over passport, bio info and money approximating immigration costs plus fees. They were just going to adjust the difference in cash when dropping off the passport. 

Jim Sibbick

I am now thinking it was a stuff up either by immigration or the agent. Most likely the agent as they didn't blame anything on immigration.  I just looked at the date on the receipts. The 2 month extension receipt is dated  9th January  and the 6 month extension receipt is dated 10th January.

JohnSurrey

Think I had it on mine... but I think it was at the beginning - the 59 day non-visa or whatever it is ... followed by six months on another visit... May have been my ACR card was running out too - which might also have been your position.