Sign in to follow this  
GBT62

LTO Starts Implementing New Policy On Driver's License - Medicals

GBT62

Before you go to the LTO from next week for a license or renewal ..... a new medical requirement ... I wonder if the shack across the road from LTO on Bacalso is accredited ? :scratch_head:

https://news.abs-cbn.com/business/01/07/19/lto-starts-implementing-new-policy-on-drivers-license

LTO starts implementing new policy on driver's license

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Jan 07 2019 08:07 PM

MANILA - The Land Transportation Office (LTO) on Monday advised drivers applying for a license that starting this week, some of its offices will only accept medical certificates submitted online by accredited clinics and doctors.

The LTO said the new policy also applies to drivers applying for student permits as well as those who are renewing their license.

The new policy took effect on Monday in the National Capital Region (NCR) and in Region 11. LTO-NCR published a list of accredited clinics and doctors on its Facebook page.

The policy will also be implemented in Regions 5, 4A, 4B, 7 on Monday, January 14. It will take effect on Jan. 21 in Regions 6 and 9; in Regions 1, 2 and 3 on Jan. 28; and in Regions 10, 8, Cordillera Administrative Regiona and CARAGA on Feb. 4.

LTO Region 1 Director Teofilo Guadiz said the measure is meant to address the issue of fake medical certificates.

People applying for a license, however, said the LTO should have accredited more clinics and doctors first before rolling out the new system.

Many are complaining that the new system has resulted in long lines in accredited clinics and made the license application process slower instead of speeding it up.

"Kailangan ko makipagsapalaran sa lisensya lang, (I needed to endure a lot just to get a license)," said Richard Dofredo, who was applying for a license.

Guadiz, meanwhile, said the situation would improve in the coming days.

"Hindi pa po kasi na-accredit lahat yung mga clinics so nagkakaroon po ng backlog (There's a backlog because many clinics have yet to be accredited)," Guadiz said.

"We apologize for what we call the birth pains since this is just the first day of our operations," he added.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Out of all the problems with vehicles and drivers here, I don't think medical is high on the list. 

• Like 6

GBT62

I spent an a 9.5 hour day at that office last year to get my license (unfortunately it was the week photo licenses were released also) - so avoiding going there for a renewal to find out after a couple of hours or so of lining up "sorry sir, you needed to do that medical online - come back later" is high on my list of knowing :huh:

Forewarned is forearmed.

From the article - it doesn't look like the introduction is going smoothly

• Like 1

Headshot

When will Region 7 stop requiring drugs tests (as ordered by Duterte) as part of the medical exam?

Bama

Might have read this wrong----thought that the online medical was an requirement if you were trying to renew your DL online only. Internet suggests that the online renewal system is working through out the PI but found when you go to sign up and request an appointment that only limited sites are available.For example the only place to get an appointment in Region 8 is in Ormoc City.

1 hour ago, GBT62 said:

LTO Region 1 Director Teofilo Guadiz said the measure is meant to address the issue of fake medical certificates.

In T Town the medical tests were pretty lame but certainly not fake as they were done a couple of doors down from the LTO

MickyG

looks like the guys making a killing with the drugs tests are now making a killing with this instead.

Wonder why they need a medical at all. eye sight test should be sufficient if they have already passed their driving test

So much for do dirty instructions to reduce contact with government and red tape

Edited by MickyG

Woolf
13 minutes ago, MickyG said:

looks like the guys making a killing with the drugs tests are now making a killing with this instead.

Wonder why they need a medical at all. eye sight test should be sufficient if they have already passed their driving test

So much for do dirty instructions to reduce contact with government and red tape

?????

Drug test is only in region 7  (cebu region) was dropped a few years ago everywhere else in Philippines

I think it will be dropped in region 7 soon

The medical if for renew also

As far as I know the price for medical is regulated

Only diff I see is that you no longer hand carry the papers  it is send electronic to LTO  from the doctor

MickyG

Yes,  the drug test was dropped but not the ambition by a select few to gain an income at public expense...they have found a way. Some people in the LTO who have lobbied for this are making a killing. I wonder how much it cost under the table to get the accreditation.

You suggesting the medical for a license renewal has been dropped as well?

I can understand why all commercial license holders should be tested at each renewal

SkyMan

Thanks for this notice btw. My wife 's license expired last June and she was still dragging her heels so I sent her to renew the Friday before this was implemented.  Someone else will have to be the Guinea pig for the new process/costs and tell us all about it here.

hyaku
On 1/10/2019 at 2:16 PM, Bama said:

Might have read this wrong----thought that the online medical was an requirement if you were trying to renew your DL online only. Internet suggests that the online renewal system is working through out the PI but found when you go to sign up and request an appointment that only limited sites are available.For example the only place to get an appointment in Region 8 is in Ormoc City.

In T Town the medical tests were pretty lame but certainly not fake as they were done a couple of doors down from the LTO

The woman in the shack near my LTO with stethascope around her neck was far more intent on finding out if I was single and available than giving me a medical. She simply asked if I was ok, took the money and gave me document. Same thing at the regional hospital a few years ago. Got a certificate from a doctor I did not even see as she was in a meeting.

• Like 1