JohnSurrey

Tricycle For School Run?

JohnSurrey

We use a tricycle for the school run.

Just wondering  how easy it is to buy our own and have the wife use it for the school run and pick up other kids/ya ya's and parents going to school and back with their kids?

Seen the EMCOR tricycle for PHP 160k not sure how that compares to the traditional model...

• Like 1

bkb1

It's easy, I bought a Honda TMX 150 Supremo a couple years back. Had a sidecar made for P18,000. Had the registration updated to reflect the sidecar and off to the races... The TMX Honda is heavy duty and made for a sidecar, mounts are already on the frame, the gearing is perfect for a sidecar and it comes with 2 extra r shocks for sidecar use.

20394919_460502620990066_879138186_o.jpg

20447470_460502634323398_858503619_o.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

oztony

A woman, without miles of practice, would more than likely have quite a few problems safely and proficiently handling a setup like this , the single front wheel and two rear wheel , India version, would be a lot easier IMO ....

image.png.9f8f7170ed199f44ebfd762932efe6c5.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Woolf
Dafey
5 hours ago, oztony said:

safely and proficiently handling a setup like this

When did that become an issue to be on the road?

7 hours ago, JohnSurrey said:

have the wife use it for the school run

Hey John, does your wife have a license? Recently the PNP have been setting up check points further and further into the province so I would make sure she is 100% legal.

• Like 4

GBT62

Haven't seen a lot of the Bajaj's (or is that Bajaji ?) in Cebu city - but last week in CDO they seemed to be everywhere.

Like most vehicles here they seemed to be able to carry 10 times their own bodyweight - albeit a little slowly on the main city streets (am guessing they were doing 30km'h -ish).

I don't see a top speed anywhere for them - but for school runs and non-highway I'd say they look to be okay. If I lived in a province I'd consider one for my gal - once I test drive to make sure they aren't as tippy as a reliant robin ...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

fred42
Posted (edited)

I noticed that the Honda and Suzuki`s (150) have trouble getting up some steeper hills here but not the Kawasaki Barako`s (175). This model was designed specifically for a side car as a heavy duty chain and sprocket is supplied and two shock absorber`s are fitted as standard on rear.
We bought one for 86K and had a 4 seater tricycle side car built (35k)..People sit back to back.
The side car is 4" wider than regular trikes as I designed the frame with a wheel arch.. 
The seat in the back pulls out easily for cargo and we asked them for a roof rack.
kawasaki-barako-ii-slant-front-view-full

Edited by fred42
  • Like 2

Woolf

With a motorbike with side car, you have the problem when accelerating the motor tends to turn to the right

and during decelerating and braking it tends to turn to the left, specially when there is no brake on the sidecar

you will not have that problem with the Bajaj, so should be safer to use, specially for an untrained driver

the Bajaj has a 200 cc engine 

• Like 1

Woolf
42 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

If I lived in a province I'd consider one for my gal - once I test drive to make sure they aren't as tippy as a reliant robin ...

The Relient Robin have the engine just behind the front wheel, lots of weight on the front

The Bajaj has the engine at the engine at the far back, most the weight over the 2 rear wheels

should make it more stable

The bajaj looks a lot like the Piaggio Ape

Cant upload picture, here it is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piaggio_Ape#/media/File:Ape_Calessino.jpg

• Like 1

Jim Sibbick

My girlfriend wants a motor scooter for school runs and grocery runs. I told her I don't want a motor scooter as i will not ride it and we should buy a tricycle so she can drive me around. 

She will not agree with a tricycle. So right now, she has nothing. 

Besides, long term, it is probably cheaper to pay for a Pot Pot  It is only P5 per trip.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz

interesting topic but why 3 wheels?  at that point you may as well go for 4 wheels and get a small car.  would be much safer to drive and for kids as well. 

• Like 3

JohnSurrey
19 minutes ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

interesting topic but why 3 wheels?  at that point you may as well go for 4 wheels and get a small car.  would be much safer to drive and for kids as well. 

I was thinking of her carrying other passengers to and from school and using it during non-school time for income.

The four wheels would make it a Taxi I guess... which we don't have here yet!

• Like 1

SkyMan
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JohnSurrey said:

using it during non-school time for income.

Now you've opened a whole new can of worms.  LTFRB franchise, permits, income tax, Professional DL?  And don't forget jealous competitors...

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Woolf
7 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Now you've opened a whole new can of worms.  LTFRB franchise, permits, income tax, Professional DL?  

+ special passenger insurance

yellow license plat  = public utility 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_Philippines

• Like 1