cookie47

Foreign Nationals Warned Against Disrespecting Immigration Officers

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

Surely any interaction is an exchange between two equal adults regarding the rules as stipulated. 

When you get off the plane after 18 hours and want to gain access to the country and there is a government official deciding whether you can or not there is nothing at all " equal " about it !!

And i believe few filipino celebrities consider themselves as " equal" either !! lol

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 4

Woolf
SkyMan
1 hour ago, musicman666 said:

Here we go again with this word respect ....it’s code for we are above you because we have the power ...it’s also tied in with words like privelage that also come up on a regular basis.

in reality countries are like huge companies ...they have their company policies and when two or more companies get together they can agree on a contract to allow their citizens to move between each country as long as they abide by the rules laid out beforehand.

so when dealing with the reps of each country the citizens know what’s expected of them to gain access. What I can’t understand is this idea that has been fermented over the years is that the citizen must respect the immigration officer more than they respect them. Surely any interaction is an exchange between two equal adults regarding the rules as stipulated. 

The immigration officer isn’t a mini king ...he’s just a regular guy like anyone else. 

Sure the foreigner didn’t meet the criteria and he vented ...ok but that didn’t change anything  as of course it should be but please drop the respect bullshit ....it’s just a guy who tried to bend the rules and failed.....and the rep did his job by enforcing  the rules of the contract.

The respect needs to go both ways.  I'm sure the immigration agent didn't start shouting at him. He didn't get what he wanted and went off.

• Like 3

BossHog
Posted (edited)

“It was very upsetting for me. And I’m sorry that I somehow took my frustrations out on the Officer. But never did I ever call anyone stupid, nor an idiot much less brag about being a celebrity. I know for a fact that the officer is merely doing her job,” he said.

Labrusca further apologized and said his “long flight from Canada is not a perfect excuse.”

https://entertainment.inquirer.net/312331/tony-labrusca-apologizes-for-outburst-vs-immigration-officers#ixzz5biDAFcR5

Oh I dunno, if I had to spend time in the Canada I'd probably go loopy too. He probably got tired of being polite all the damn time. This I can completely understand.

That being said,  he does seem to have mastered the Canadian art of apologizing!

Edited by BossHog
  • Haha 5

musicman666
11 hours ago, SkyMan said:

The respect needs to go both ways.  I'm sure the immigration agent didn't start shouting at him. He didn't get what he wanted and went off.

If you took the time to read my post ...I did say treat each other as equals so of course both parties respect each other as you would any other human being ...but in the media it’s quite obvious the respect of the immigration officer is considered some kind of extension to the overall respect of the country and trumps the respect of the traveler like the officer is a prince of the kingdom. I think if the immigration officers lost the attitude then there would be less angst at immigration. 

Let me give you an example ....the immigration officer at cebu asks me how long am I staying ...I say I’m not sure but a few days. She asks me if I have a return ticket ...I say yes ...she asks me when is the return date ....I say to her the date which is like a week but I mention politely that could I still have the 31 days please as I might stay longer than the ticket thinking she might make that my return date stamp.

now she replies to me by saying ...do not question an officer on the amount of time I will give you ...you get what you will get.

Wtf....now I still got the 31 days but what was she going on about when she she said “do not question” me.

what is she the bloody queen ...why the shitty attitude.?...I’m not allowed to make a simple request within the bounds of what I would normally get anyway??

let me stress I was well dressed with long pants etc and in no way was I being disrespectful to her in the slightest. ..but I think she was disrespectful to me. That is my point.

Kreole
19 minutes ago, musicman666 said:

If you took the time to read my post ...I did say treat each other as equals so of course both parties respect each other as you would any other human being ...but in the media it’s quite obvious the respect of the immigration officer is considered some kind of extension to the overall respect of the country and trumps the respect of the traveler like the officer is a prince of the kingdom. I think if the immigration officers lost the attitude then there would be less angst at immigration. 

Let me give you an example ....the immigration officer at cebu asks me how long am I staying ...I say I’m not sure but a few days. She asks me if I have a return ticket ...I say yes ...she asks me when is the return date ....I say to her the date which is like a week but I mention politely that could I still have the 31 days please as I might stay longer than the ticket thinking she might make that my return date stamp.

now she replies to me by saying ...do not question an officer on the amount of time I will give you ...you get what you will get.

Wtf....now I still got the 31 days but what was she going on about when she she said “do not question” me.

what is she the bloody queen ...why the shitty attitude.?...I’m not allowed to make a simple request within the bounds of what I would normally get anyway??

let me stress I was well dressed with long pants etc and in no way was I being disrespectful to her in the slightest. ..but I think she was disrespectful to me. That is my point.

"Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."  I agree that respect should work both way, but those in positions of power always have the advantage and will exercise it at will.  That is my life experience and is probably universal.  There is a saying in Cuba, "Give a Cuban a little bit of power and they are insupportable."  The Cuban immigration is the same, and the American can even be worse.

That said, the only confrontation I have ever had was with a young immigration official, and it occurred in Cebu 2 years ago when I was exiting the Philippines.  I wrote a post about him, as being the most offensive, bullying and aggressive immigration officer I had ever encountered in my life.  He had a chip on his shoulder, and immediately accused me having a business in the Ph. since I had stayed for 3 years (legally).  I respectfully replied that I was retired, living on a pension and stayed in the Ph. because I like the people and the climate.  He shouted, "Are you calling me a liar?"  etc. etc. And he escalated it from there. 

I was in shock, really, because I am, by nature, always respectful and courteous to everyone.  When I realized he was just baiting me to offer some resistance, I  stopped responding to his berating questions and accusations until he got tired.  He finally ended his assault by saying that he was going to put a restriction on any future stay in the Ph. should I ever return.  Since I was doing a visa run, I was very concerned that I would be refused entry.  However, that did not happen. 

So, friends, beware of where the power lies, and do not go on the defensive or even bother to question them; be courteous and apologetic if necessary.  There are always more than just a few rotten apples in any immigration station in any country of the world; the Ph. is no exception.  How you deal with them will determine your entry or exit.

• Like 1

Semper paratus

How does one handle it when an immigration officer at one of the offices puts the bite on you for some cash, and the reason may or may not be they real law. If you pay it isn't right and if you don't pay they can make it really miserable for you with extra trips for this or that, so I am told by someone I met once. That was quite a few years ago so I don't recall all the details, and have no idea who the guy is or where he ended up. Any similar experiences ?

Salty Dog

There was an Beauru of Immigration lawyer who came from Cebu to Dumaguete and met people in the mall and even CRs for their 13A applications. He was collecting his fee under the table.

I heard he got busted finally for corruption.

• Like 1

shadow
On 1/5/2019 at 11:17 AM, SkyMan said:

The BB Visa is just a 1 year tourist Visa and you have to leave before the end of the year or extend.  The AHole in the article thought he was special because his parents were Filipinos but he was born in the US and so not a former Filipino.  They should have put him back on the plane.

A Filipino is defined as one born of one or more Filipino parents, it matters not where the birth takes place. So if either of his parents were Filipino at the time of his birth, he is legally a Filipino. If they were former Filipinos at the time of his birth, he has no claim to Filipino citizenship. 

SkyMan
31 minutes ago, shadow said:

A Filipino is defined as one born of one or more Filipino parents, it matters not where the birth takes place. So if either of his parents were Filipino at the time of his birth, he is legally a Filipino. If they were former Filipinos at the time of his birth, he has no claim to Filipino citizenship. 

It's possible one or both of his parents were not yet naturalized at the time of his birth, however,  he would have to have some proof of this. Easiest fix for him in this case would be for one or both of them to reacquire PI citz (which they never lost) and then he can get a PI pp but I'm not sure if this is an option if they weren't dual at the time.  In my opinion they never lost PI citz and have been dual all this time but the bureaucrats may differ.