Sign in to follow this  
GBT62

Hiroshima, Japan

GBT62

I have visited Hiroshima twice.

A beautiful modern city that I would consider living in, if Japan were an easier place for foreigners to retire.

The bay and surrounding islands are lovely, the climb up Mt Misen on Miyajima Island had amazing 360 degree views and even worth the long, hot hike up in the middle of summer.

Like many locals and tourists, I went to see the Hiroshima Carps play (and lose :( ) the baseball at Mazda Stadium (the backpack Asahi beer was delicious). Fried Octopus on a stick at the baseball is very different to hot dogs though....

image.png.08d7a7300a204eae19a1e8e027d09075.png

- and devoured a mountain of okonomiyaki at the the crazy Okonomimura building.

I also paid my respects at Hiroshima Memorial Peace Park and read the peace ribbons - and the next day visited Kure City on the outskirts of Hiroshima - going to the Yamoto Maritime Museum.

The museum has a scale model of the largest battleship ever built in history (Yamoto) - as well as displays of Kaiten (kamikaze torpdeo) and other WWII war machines. Kure City was the centre of naval and commercial shipbuilding for many, many years.

image.png.8075a7cb2173085a4602ffbb26c5d5db.png

https://yamato-museum.com/en/

The museum itself that day - had very few visitors - mostly older ones and foreign tourists like myself. The volunteer guides enjoyed trying out their English skills :)

A bad panorama I made of the submarine on the footpath just up the road from the museum....

image.png.f931fb8df4cf0748d89e66da595a1f08.png

There were very few older, obvious survivors in the city, but did see 2 or three in public places.  Just  like the locals and other foreign and Japanese tourists I let them be and didn't feel the need to interrupt their day (specially as I have zero Japanese language skills).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
56 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

I have visited Hiroshima twice.

A beautiful modern city 

Manila could take a lesson there. Blow it up and start over.

• Like 1

hyaku

Been there more than a few times. Hiroshima and Nagasaki are both compulsory destinations for school trips.  

RR3

Nice report. Yes, Hiroshima very worth visiting. From Miyajima Island I remember the many red deer and makaki riding them and picking ticks.

GBT62
Posted (edited)

Yeah, the deer were all over around ground level - but it was the stuff up the mountain that I remember most.

The eternal flame at the shrine near the mountain summit - burning for over 1200 years, tended by a monk that carries water up the mountain every day. The Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park flame was lit off that flame.

The pack of thieving wild monkeys up there (like the old American Express ads) .... not many were there on my last trip up there though.

The Japanese teen and older girls in high heels and almost formal wear or jeans - hiking up the rough trail towards the summit in summer. These tracks aren't graded and smooth like national parks in AU .... pretty damn rustic and rocky in places with some steep gradients. Certainly not suitable for high heels. Mind you, there were no signs to say what the trail was like...

And of course the food - so many treats in the many shops - the Taiyaki fish-shaped cake/waffles with custard and choc fillings are one of my faves :thumbsup:

image.png

Edited by GBT62
  • Like 4