Took My Wife And Daughter For Their First Horse Ride...

oztony

SkyMan

I've thought about taking my wife for a ride here but the horses look malnourished and it seems like it would be cruel. 

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Dafey

Looks beautiful Tony!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Showed my wife the photos and she's jealous...also says hi!

Her only time riding was on a swayback that you could probably touch the ground while in the saddle, being led by a dude with his hand on the bridle. Guess I have to take for the real thing now!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
oztony
5 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I've thought about taking my wife for a ride here but the horses look malnourished and it seems like it would be cruel. 

Hearing you loud and clear on that ....some of the saddest looking animals I have seen are horses in the PI....

4 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Looks beautiful Tony!

Yeah sure is ...I grew up there and although in a remote location it is only a 35 minute flight from the city I now live in , bit like the ol wild west down there still ...say what you mean and mean what you say , the locals are the toughest bunch I have ever come across in Aus...wanna be bigshots from the mainland soon find that out ...:)

• Like 2
oztony

@BossHog  My bro has a bit to do with Parks and Wildlife , has got specific licences to enter Crown Land and protected areas etc.. anyway on his property he has a nesting pair of Sea Eagles , who maintain a 5 square  kilometre area ...he has agreed to show Parks and Wildlife where the nest is ..(and me) ...these birds are magnificent and while working on his house we see them on most days .....

image.png.b90123d9cab097809d58e0e9d0f7fd16.png

• Like 7
BossHog
13 minutes ago, oztony said:

these birds are magnificent and while working on his house we see them on most days .....

Very cool. White-breasted Sea Eagle*. (Haliaeetus leucogaster). We get them here too; a few very small islands near Siargao have nesting pairs. But nothing in great numbers and you have to really go out of your way by boat and get lucky to see them.

*In the Philippines it's usually called the White-bellied Sea Eagle.

Horse ride on the beach looks awesome and, wow, that's a really late sunset! Always dark by 6 PM here.

• Like 3
oztony
12 minutes ago, BossHog said:

and, wow, that's a really late sunset! Always dark by 6 PM here.

We go into daylight saving time in this part of the country in summer ....still daylight at 5;30 am in the morning ....so with that many hours of daylight it is great in the early evening ...bbq , beer drinking ...going to the beach etc.....

Wife took these pics 2 days ago , which is a view from the place I grew up ....

image.thumb.png.440b689d55cc5fde540f96d6fe1cddb6.pngimage.thumb.png.5edec77a55fb4438c5700dfcc6d5ae34.png

• Like 5
SkyMan
33 minutes ago, BossHog said:

and, wow, that's a really late sunset! Always dark by 6 PM here.

I checked the difference between longest and shortest days here and it was like 17 minutes. 

oztony
24 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I checked the difference between longest and shortest days here and it was like 17 minutes. 

Love the equator but long hours of daylight in summer are a treat compared to short winter days ...we have up to a 5 hour difference in daylight from shortest to longest day .

• Like 1
oztony

Some work we did this time round on the house ....material selection is critical , if you get it wrong you won't have a house in a few years because winter conditions are very harsh and everything will either rot or rust so all fixings are stainless and we have to build to BAL.29 bushfire rating because of the location so lots to consider to get it right...

image.thumb.png.361d10c8d0aeb402c4394e20a5a6c46c.pngimage.thumb.png.5abc9b159f526fcf5aaba4336d0bd8c3.png

• Like 5

Excuse my ignorance of Oz building methods but in pic #2 what are the tubular pieces that are protruding from the bottom of the wall ? What are the walls made of ? Pic #1 when enlarged on my ancient PC suggests a material with the graininess of particle board (OSB) but I'm sure that is not it.

SkyMan

Stucco for brush fires?

37 minutes ago, oztony said:

Love the equator but long hours of daylight in summer are a treat compared to short winter days ...we have up to a 5 hour difference in daylight from shortest to longest day .

Yeah3, I had problems with SED during the winter. 

oztony

A few years ago , after 8 years of getting messed about by a corrupt Mayor / town planner , we moved a building which was in poor condition from one side of the island to the other , after we cut it in half and loaded it with a crane on 2 semi trailors and also used my bro's bull dozer to get the building to it's current location ...The corrupt Mayor called in the Justice Commission who flew in and investigated ....and the J.C. decided that the building was a movable structure because we had the steels under it (which we needed as support for the move) and the building sitting on 2 structural strip footings with core filled blockwork ....yes it was a mistake for this asswipe (THE MAYOR) to try and mess with us in the first place ...his days are now numbered on the island as he is about to be brought undone by the Integrity Commission ....but anyway ...new Council ...new town planner ...new mayor ...(all locals and not from away) and all the approvals are now in place ....people from away just don't get it ...that you can't come to a place like this and push locals around ...your time becomes very short on the island ....

So the structure (frame) is 50 year old seasoned Tasmanian Oak which has been dismantled , denailed and now rebuilt with galvanised nails and all lintels solid from top of window/door opening to top plate on the frame . the cladding is 7.5 mm thick fibre cement board with a sand texture paint applied as a finish ...this is stage 1 , the bedrooms , laundry . bathrooms etc. will probably run at approx 150k and stage 2 ...the kitchen /living dining area will go at about 170k ....so he will be getting a 500k house for about 320k...but hey ...what are brothers for..:hi:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This thread still on riding horses?

Some 100 m N of old mall is Your chance for riding horses. A short ride 50 p. Kids love it, was their 1st riding horse experience. Horses come from same farm as below. 

For more advanced riding in Manga Hills contact Planet Action. 

• Like 1