Sign in to follow this  
to_dave007

Blocked by Ad Blocker Blocker

to_dave007

LINC member Bounder (Negros) tells me that he can't log in, because apparently he has some ad blocker on his computer..  But he's tried everything to disable this ad blocker.. unsuccessfully .  Doesn't even know WHAT ad blocker is blocking him.  The LINC message he receives says he could by pass the ad blocker blocker if he made LINC donation, but until he can unblock the blocker he can't get far enough into LINC to pay to bypass the ad blocker blocker.  Hence..  he is currently blocked by the blocker blocker, and can't get in, and can't fix it.

Is that clear?

If I get PM from mod I can provide email address if needed.

If I see here that it's been fixed I'll tell him.

Edited by to_dave007

Salty Dog

The ad blocker detection software on the forum is applied by groups:

Elite Member

So I can't disable it by the individual.

Maybe some of the experts out there can come up with a way to find out what ad blocker is installed and how to disable it on bounder's computer.

I've heard that Microsoft Edge has a built in ad blocker, but I don't use it, so I'm not familiar with it.

We don't need to hear what you think about in terms of the pros or cons of such software, or the blocking of access to the forum to those using such software.

• Thanks 2

Davaoeno
Posted (edited)

I have had this problem and nothing, and I mean nothing would let me sign in- until I installed and ran CCLEANER FREE. No need to pay for their updated cleaner

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Thanks 5

Jim Sibbick

I have adblock plus. If it is enabled, I can't access LINC. 

However, I don't have to be logged in to LINC to turn it off.

To turn it on or off for any site, I just click on the ABP button in the task bar of my web browser. Ad Block plus opens up. For me there is a slide. Slide left to stop it working on that site. Slide right to start it working again on that site. This action has no affect on the operation of any other site

• Thanks 2

T.S.

Escape key closes the warning temporarily... on Chrome at least.

• Thanks 2

Soupeod
On 12/31/2018 at 5:02 AM, to_dave007 said:

LINC member Bounder (Negros) tells me that he can't log in, because apparently he has some ad blocker on his computer..  But he's tried everything to disable this ad blocker.. unsuccessfully .  Doesn't even know WHAT ad blocker is blocking him.  The LINC message he receives says he could by pass the ad blocker blocker if he made LINC donation, but until he can unblock the blocker he can't get far enough into LINC to pay to bypass the ad blocker blocker.  Hence..  he is currently blocked by the blocker blocker, and can't get in, and can't fix it.

Is that clear?

If I get PM from mod I can provide email address if needed.

If I see here that it's been fixed I'll tell him.

I need to know what browser he is using to log in. 

And confirm he doesnt have another adblocker extension installed.

Salty Dog
4 hours ago, Jim Sibbick said:

To turn it on or off for any site, I just click on the ABP button in the task bar of my web browser. Ad Block plus opens up. For me there is a slide. Slide left to stop it working on that site. Slide right to start it working again on that site. This action has no affect on the operation of any other site

You can do the same thing when the popup appears in LinC. Then it will remember the setting for LinC so you won't have to start it for other sites or stop it for LinC again.

bounder

Thanks for all the input.  I am using the ESC key to temporarily disable the popup.  CCleaner didn't resolve the issue and there is no tab on the task bar for ABP, so that doesn't seem to be an option.  

I am using Chrome and am on Windows 10.  This issue started about two or so weeks ago....perhaps via a Windows update?

It is inconvenient, but as soon as the funds are added to my PayPal account, I will donate and that should resolve the issue.  Besides, I should be financially supporting this great site anyway.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

• Thanks 3

GBT62

it's an issue for Windows 10, Chrome and STANDS Adblocker also.   Whitelisting this site to allow ads makes no difference - the blocking still occurs.  I just use Firefox separately now for LINC and enjoy the various ads.

At least here they format correctly - I only had ad blockers enabled by default because a lot of sites (prime example being news.com.au) the ad formatting and sizing is inconsistent, making the text near to impossible to read at times as the page moves up and down with each scrolling ad change...

• Like 1

greatplace

I  have had this problem for a few days now.  I have just logged back in and seems to have gone away now................so whats up about that??????????????? no adblocker

Jim Sibbick
10 hours ago, bounder said:

Thanks for all the input.  I am using the ESC key to temporarily disable the popup.  CCleaner didn't resolve the issue and there is no tab on the task bar for ABP, so that doesn't seem to be an option.  

I am using Chrome and am on Windows 10.  This issue started about two or so weeks ago....perhaps via a Windows update?

It is inconvenient, but as soon as the funds are added to my PayPal account, I will donate and that should resolve the issue.  Besides, I should be financially supporting this great site anyway.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I am using windows 10 and chrome too. Both fully up to date. 

Is there an ad blocker programme showing in your list of installed programmes?

GBT62

Also, some are browser plug-ins or extensions - so won't show in installed apps/programs - but will show up in the browser settings/options

Busted Dick

Just to add to this conundrum... until yesterday I hadn't accessed these forums for weeks because I was getting the ad-blocker pop-up despite having disabled the ad-blocker on my browser.  However, after raising it yesterday on the LINC Facebook group, I learned a workaround that works for me (the ESC key).  I use Opera browser which was created out of Chromium.  Google Chrome, which others on this thread are having problems with, is also an offspring of Chromium.  So the problem seems to be related to the Chromium/Opera/Chrome family.  Chromium and Opera are open source (ie, the programming code can be examined); Chrome, being a Google 'product' is not; however they all share the same common ancestry.  Unfortunately I do not have the expertise to be able to resolve this but I thought it worth posting just in case there is someone on here who might have?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1