Metro Supermarket in Ayala Reopened

Headshot

They reopened Metro Supermarket in Ayala today in its original position (before the fire). I didn't go in, but it appears to be at least as big as it was before.

• Like 3
to_dave007

????  Not sure what you mean.  Aren't they still tearing the damaged building down?  Did it reopen in new building?  I'm not so familiar with that Metro..  but not sure what you mean.

Headshot

I'm not sure what they are doing in the old Metro Department Store in the floors above the Metro Supermarket, but the supermarket, itself, on the ground floor, is open. Like I said, I didn't go in, but from the entrance, where they held a grand reopening ceremony, you could see a long ways back into the store. It is open. The temporary store, across the hall from the main entrance, was still open today, but I suspect that it will be closed shortly.

They had several store employees wearing sashes in two lines (on either side) in the front of the store welcoming customers in. That was this afternoon.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
liquido

Always wondered why there is no free standing grocery stores in the RP...All in malls...Ok there is the membership S&R and Landers..

Headshot
49 minutes ago, liquido said:

Always wondered why there is no free standing grocery stores in the RP...All in malls...Ok there is the membership S&R and Landers..

Absolutely NOT true.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, liquido said:

How about Fooda

• Like 4
SM Hypermart in the city !
Savemore at Maribago ,Mactan
Robinson's at Tamiya ,Mactan .

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

• Like 1
liquido

Here in Davao I have not found one...The above ones that were posted above are there not other types of businesses associated with them like fast food restaurants ..etc?

Headshot
1 minute ago, liquido said:

Here in Davao I have not found one...The above ones that were posted above are there not other types of businesses associated with them like fast food restaurants ..etc?

There are at least a dozen stand-alone supermarkets here in the Cebu metro area (or at least supermarkets that are away from a mall).

to_dave007
3 hours ago, Headshot said:

There are at least a dozen stand-alone supermarkets here in the Cebu metro area (or at least supermarkets that are away from a mall).

even more in the province..  like the Metro in Carmen..   

Goetz1965

Only the top floors were damaged from the fire, so the Basements and ground floor was "unharmed".
Ayala cleaned that up and the will reopen B1 and B2 with the Hardwarestore in Q1 2019 too.

But I will wait before I enter it the first time at least some weeks - I have no consciousness to the structure after that fire !

It burned for days with huge amounts of water flowing down walls, floors, and I have no idea what that did to the concrete, steel bars and support in the lower areas.
And as Philippinos easily just dry and clean up and then put some cement over the old .... I don't want to be in there when the base collapses ....

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Only the top floors were damaged from the fire, so the Basements and ground floor was "unharmed".
Ayala cleaned that up and the will reopen B1 and B2 with the Hardwarestore in Q1 2019 too.

But I will wait before I enter it the first time at least some weeks - I have no consciousness to the structure after that fire !

It burned for days with huge amounts of water flowing down walls, floors, and I have no idea what that did to the concrete, steel bars and support in the lower areas.
And as Philippinos easily just dry and clean up and then put some cement over the old .... I don't want to be in there when the base collapses ....

Properly prepared concrete - properly being the key word - is not affected by water after curing.

The greatest danger was probably during and immediately following the fire.

https://www.brighthubengineering.com/concrete-technology/117817-concrete-curing-in-challenging-conditions/

"Concrete Curing in Hot Conditions

Even in hot conditions, curing requires special attention. The problems in such conditions are opposite of those in cold conditions. In very hot and humid regions, heat loss and continuous evaporation results in lack of moisture from the surface of concrete and thus leads to cracking. Such weather conditions require a high water-cement ratio, which means the strength of concrete is going to be affected. In such conditions retarding agents can be used. Using Type II cement is also helpful as it generates less heat and helps in preserving moisture content. An adequate supply of water, and keeping the concrete wet after placement, is important so that concrete does not crack and strength is not compromised at all."

• Like 1
Jim Sibbick
10 hours ago, liquido said:

Not sure if it meets your criteria but the 2 Metro supermarkets on Colon are not in malls. One supermarket is in the Cebu Century Hotel complex where the cinema used to be. The other is a block away. ATM machines and parking at ground level. Go up the travelator to the supermarket. Go up the escalator to the next level where they are selling TV's, other electrical goods and clothes. 

There is also a definite stand alone, no other business attached supermarket in Ormoc City. Can't remember the name now though.

All depends on what country and even part of the country you're from

Some would consider this a stand alone

The food store owns the gas station

image.png.d77bd9684f371bde897b16ef1a8278f2.png

but not this - Aldi is a discount (off brand) food store

Capture.PNG

Edited by lamoe