to_dave007

American Non LINC Member in Negros - Assistance for his widow

RogerDuMond
13 hours ago, bounder said:

I do like the suggestion of a doctor producing a death certificate for the decedent and that may be an option.  

Section 6. Death certificate and register. – No human body shall be buried unless the proper death certificate has been presented and recorded in the office of the local civil registrar. The physician who attended the deceased or, in his default the health officer concerned, or in default of the latter, any member of the family of the deceased or any person having knowledge of the death, shall report the same to the local health authorities, who shall issue a death certificate and shall order the same to be recorded in the office of the local civil registrar. The death certificate, which shall be issued by the attending physician of the deceased or, in his default, by the proper health officer, shall contain the following data be furnished by the person reporting the death; (a) date and place of death; (b) full name, (c) age, (d) sex, (e) occupation or profession, (f) residence; (g) status as regards marriage, (h) nationality of the deceased, and (i) probable cause of death.

https://psa.gov.ph/civilregistration/civil-registration-laws/act-no-3753

• Thanks 1

Bama

In my experience not having a death certificate can cause future problems.

When my wife's mom died her death certificate was never was picked up and the hospital where it was located got washed away by Yolanda. A few years later when her dad died not having  moms death certificate made dividing up family lands difficult.

• Like 2

RogerDuMond

It also appears that the death should have been certified within 32 days to the PSA, so I would try getting a copy from the Philippine Statistics Authority.

The certificate is forwarded, within 48 hours after death, to the local

health officer who will review the certificate and affix his signature in the

“Reviewed By” portion and direct its registration at within 30 days.

Death Registration: Legal Mandates, Rules and Procedures

Who is Responsible in Reporting the Event and

Preparing the Certificate of Death/Certificate of

Fetal Death (COD/COFD)?

For Death that Occurred in the Hospital

When a death occurs, the physician who last attended the deceased

or the administrator of the hospital or clinic where the person died is

responsible to prepare the COD and certify as to the cause of death.

The certificate is forwarded, within 48 hours after death, to the local

health officer who will review the certificate and affix his signature in the

“Reviewed By” portion and direct its registration at within 30 days.

https://www.doh.gov.ph/sites/default/files/publications/MEDICAL_CERTIFICATION_OF_DEATH_0.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bounder

The final update on this topic.

The widow was able to get a temporary certificate of death from the local health office, but the civil registry would not record it.  However, with the temporary certificate of death Kent was entombed on Sunday, January 6.  It was a small group.  I was the only foreigner in attendance.  

The widow, Lyn, seems to want to move on and have not heard from her since the funeral.  Since she is not in a hurry to pursue the death certificate, I am not in a hurry to get it procured.  As for Social Security, the Embassy has been notified, but as far as I know, they won't act upon it until they are in receipt of a certificate of death.  

In a situation like this, sometimes it is better to walk away than to stick one's nose where it isn't wanted.  So, this will be the last update from me.  Oh yes, and thanks for all the input.  I really appreciated that as it has provided important and perhaps useful information for future reference.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

savarity

Well, right because... in theory, depending on her level of access... maybe the widow would be better off without the certificate... id think of it as none of my business to butt in.

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..