to_dave007

American Non LINC Member in Negros - Assistance for his widow

to_dave007

It's my understanding that the body HAS been released from the hospital and has been embalmed and is currently at the widows house. At issue is the death certificate.

Again.. all of this comes second hand, through Bounder.

to_dave007
2 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

You do realize Larry that that statute says to get the patient or the body released you need a promissory note with a mortgage to cover it or someone elses  guarantee. In my experience that is what the hospitals insist on . The newspaper article previously quoted In this thread says you dont  need the promissory note but in reality you do

From the sound of it..  no-one has the assets in this case to really back up a guarantee or a mortgage.  The man was on a minimal pension.. I think SSS..  without much if any savings.  So his wife would be high and dry..  and his remaining USA family not much better off.

Hospital can insist on promissory note..  or take the cash in hand..  and what's needed is someone strong enough to convince them that 1/2 bird in hand is better than 1 promised bird in bush.  I suspect that "cash in hand" will be king.

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, to_dave007 said:

From the sound of it..  no-one has the assets in this case to really back up a guarantee or a mortgage.  The man was on a minimal pension.. I think SSS..  without much if any savings.  So his wife would be high and dry..  and his remaining USA family not much better off.

Hospital can insist on promissory note..  or take the cash in hand..  and what's needed is someone strong enough to convince them that 1/2 bird in hand is better than 1 promised bird in bush.

My thoughts exactly Dave. Companies here get away with bullying people because many pinoy not only dont know their rights but also they have been raised from birth to be submissive.   Sometimes it just takes one strong person standing up for his rights to make a difference . And- as you said- 50% is always better than nothing ! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog

If he doesn't have anything to leave her, including his Social Security and they already have his body, what difference does it make if they get a death certificate or not...

• Like 7

RogerDuMond
11 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

If he doesn't have anything to leave her, including his Social Security and they already have his body, what difference does it make if they get a death certificate or not...

If the death certificate is needed in the U.S. to straighten his affairs, it seems like the U.S. family could look to the State Department to get it for them. Their congressman would be a good place to start.

• Like 1

to_dave007

Wish I was in Bacolod.. This is likely worth a call to Arizona to talk to the sister..  then simply accompany the widow to the hospital for a frank talk to the right person.

• Like 1

savarity
Why in Hell do you all accept this?

I'm curious what another embassy would do? Write a strongly worded letter to the hospital?

HTM
1 hour ago, savarity said:

I'm curious what another embassy would do? Write a strongly worded letter to the hospital? 

Fine a way to help, Depending on the country and the Law.
Some country's have way to help there people.

savarity
Fine a way to help, Depending on the country and the Law.
Some country's have way to help there people.

That sounds more like a hope or a belief.

I don't know what an embassy could do either, but am more naturally pessimistic, so I assume it would be nothing substantial. Maybe make a phone call to the hospital, at most. I guess the wife could at least try and ask the embassy.
  • Like 1

HTM
9 hours ago, savarity said:

That sounds more like a hope or a belief.

No that's by knowledge and experience!

Irenicus

I knew George. When he first came to the Philippines, he actually brought a Route 66 necklace from his souvenir truck stop to give to my girlfriend.

A good man.

RIP.

• Like 4

savarity
No that's by knowledge and experience!
Well, it only sounded that way due to the lack of any detail in the answer.

Jawny

If the body has been released, it may be possible to have a death certificate from another doctor. When I bought some property owned by a group of siblings, the parents had been long deceased. In order for them to prove they had inherited the property, a death certificate was needed.  They had a local doctor determine cause of death (from 20 years earlier.....congestive heart failure). The certificate was obtained and the transaction continued.

As far as having some USA embassy staff support, that is not at all likely. It may be that other nationalities have more hands-on support from consular staff.  Not so with the USA. The US citizens service office will provide a list of attorneys. They will also provide ten copies of a consular report of death.  There may be assistance providing notification to various federal agencies such as the Veterans administration and such. 

There are many Filipinos with the mistaken belief that a pensioner receiving an SSA annuity will have a survivor benefit for the family.  In many cases, no SSA benefits will be provided. Hence, a death certificate may be of little use.  This is only speculation on my part.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

bounder
Posted (edited)

Since I am temporarily able to access the forum, I will provide an update.  

We conferred with local Barangay Officials with no success.  They told me, he is a foreigner and the matter should be taken care of by the US Embassy.  The local mayor would not provide any assistance due to the fact he is a foreigner.  Today, the wife will assist the widow by going to the Catholic church to find out why he cannot be buried without a death certificate and then will visit with Kent's sister to see how much money there is to resolve this issue.   I do like the suggestion of a doctor producing a death certificate for the decedent and that may be an option.  

In the end, it will require a visit to the head of the medical center to get this resolved.  The family are squatters living at the bottom of a steep hill in a one room house in the middle of nowhere.  Kent was making improvements to the structure at the time of his illness.

I guess what troubles me is that he had warning signs of something wrong, but did nothing about them until it was too late.  He ended up in the hospital in November and was never released until his death (stage 4 colon cancer).  What bothers me the most was that they would not release him because he had debts with the hospital which increased incrementally the longer he stayed.  In the end, he could not afford pain medication and thus his last few weeks were pretty miserable.  In the last three weeks of his life, all Kent ever said was that he just wanted to return to his home (in Himamaylan City) to die.  

She will not get his SS benefits as she doesn't meet the requirements for survivor benefits  (they were only married for one year).

A lesson to be heeded.  If you have medical symptoms, don't ignore them and get checked out.  

Edited by bounder
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jawny
12 hours ago, bounder said:

We conferred with local Barangay Officials with no success.  They told me, he is a foreigner and the matter should be taken care of by the US Embassy.  The local mayor would not provide any assistance due to the fact he is a foreigner.  Today, the wife will assist the widow by going to the Catholic church to find out why he cannot be buried without a death certificate and then will visit with Kent's sister to see how much money there is to resolve this issue.   I do like the suggestion of a doctor producing a death certificate for the decedent and that may be an option.  

In the end, it will require a visit to the head of the medical center to get this resolved.  The family are squatters living at the bottom of a steep hill in a one room house in the middle of nowhere.  Kent was making improvements to the structure at the time of his illness.

It was worth a try, but not surprised the local officials offer no assistance.  The embassy will not provide assistance and the locals just say that as a way of putting the monkey back on the back of the family  

Interesting to note that the assistance is not for the deceased foreigner  It is for the Filipino family (widow).  More correctly, the hospital is to benefit the most if assistance provided. That is, payment for services rendered. 

12 hours ago, bounder said:

She will not get his SS benefits as she doesn't meet the requirements for survivor benefits  (they were only married for one year).

Not clear why a death certificate is important for any "affairs" referred to.  The SSA benefits have to be stopped but that is done by informing the SSA at the embassy. If there was a direct deposit to a Filipino bank, as well that is to be stopped. 

Since I’ve lived here, I’ve never had a family member get a death certificate. Funeral services were paid for and delivered. Burial completed sans certificate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Commercial Banner Advertisers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..