hilyfe

Is it worth it using off grid solar kit

Or

solar generator in philippines

Where to buy solar panels in philippines?

• Like 1

Dafey

How much electric do you need? What appliances and for how many hours a day?

I'm not an engineer but I'm sure these questions need to answered first to figure out if the investment is economical.

How much is your electric bill now?

Daddle

I will probably use some solar in our new home. We are at the end of the powerline with frequent “brown outs”. It will be just enough to power a few LED lights, a fan, security cameras, internet and charge the phones. I have long time experience with this on my sailboat. I’ll use plain old deep cycle lead-acid batteries. About 400 Amp-hours worth, a simple solar controller, about 400 Watts of panels, and where possible use 12 Volt lights and fans. A small inverter can run the little things if necessary.

Expect it to run things for a few days. We don’t keep much truely perishable food, if any, in the fridge, so an icebox can stand-in for that power hog.

I will tell the Asawa that there is not enough power for the TV so I can get a few pleasant hours of relief from screaming and sobbing on the Tele-Serialies.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Dafey

Sounds like you already have a pretty good grip on what your needs are. And if you are willing to go without some conveniences your needs are not huge.

To answer your original question, with frequent brown outs you may be best going with a solar array. Our electric is pretty stable in western Leyte so we chose a gas generator for the few times we need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

SkyMan

To determine what you need you're supposed to go around with a meter and see what each appliance or whatever uses and then approximate how much you use that and add it all up. There's so much approximation that you'd probably be more accurate just throwing a dart in a board and assuming that's your daily usage.  It seems simple to me to just look at your ebill and divide the months usage by the number of days in the cycle. That gives you a fairly real world number and then you can decide how many days you're comfortable storing and buy what you need to cover that.  A day or two is probably fine is you have mains or a generator as backup. 

• Like 3

lolhahaha

I've seen solar panels for sale in a few malls. The prices are completely outrageous compared to the US though. At least double from what I remember paying for the different components several years ago.

Also the panels that I saw didn't appear to be the same quality either.

• Like 1

SkyMan

All-Batteries has them. Also there's a solar guy in Duma with decent prices and grid tied stuff and a solar installer in Ormoc.

• Like 1

Janneo
11 hours ago, Daddle said:

I will probably use some solar in our new home. We are at the end of the powerline with frequent “brown outs”. It will be just enough to power a few LED lights, a fan, security cameras, internet and charge the phones. I have long time experience with this on my sailboat. I’ll use plain old deep cycle lead-acid batteries. About 400 Amp-hours worth, a simple solar controller, about 400 Watts of panels, and where possible use 12 Volt lights and fans. A small inverter can run the little things if necessary.

Expect it to run things for a few days. We don’t keep much truely perishable food, if any, in the fridge, so an icebox can stand-in for that power hog.

I will tell the Asawa that there is not enough power for the TV so I can get a few pleasant hours of relief from screaming and sobbing on the Tele-Serialies.

Same problem with brownouts here. Having a system like the one you described would be great. Do you have an idea of what the cost could be?

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Janneo said:

Same problem with brownouts here. Having a system like the one you described would be great. Do you have an idea of what the cost could be?

A grid tied system does nothing to help with blackouts.  No grid, no solar.  On off grid system can be set up to switch over to the grid if the batteries run too low.  But if that happens during a blackout...  But most of the time you'd be running full solar.

• Like 1

Goetz1965

What for you need solar then, in which capacity ?
I have just basic UPS for my computer to shut down in case, but for Aircons you need high capacity and then the question is easy to answer with "If you have that money".

Solar makes sense during daytime to power the zircons and thus reduce cost for that, but it still takes years to pay off. To save electricity for brownouts you need big batteries and electronics and that's still too expensive nowadays compared to a gasoline generator. 

• Like 1

Daddle
10 hours ago, Janneo said:

I would expect about P100,000 for what I described. Could spend much less or much more. It is very hard to know what is needed in advance. From my sailboat experience...10 years in SE Asia on solar...all I know for sure is everything is variable. If you are only trying to have some comfort during brownouts...like lights, fans, TV, internet then you may not need solar. Just a big battery charged from the utility grid, and in a pinch by an obnoxious gas generator.

To survive off grid for a few days or more then solar is a great option to extend the battery life. But sometimes it is cloudy for days on end and solar just doesn’t produce.

If you need air conditioning to sleep, or keep a refrigerator full of steaks and ice cream you will need a gas generator and fuel to run all day and night for a few days.

So pretty hard to know. What I would do, for my simple lifestyle, here in the rainforest where brownouts are weekly and typically extend for a few hours but often enough for a day or more, is have a large battery charged by solar panels. I detest running a generator and prefer the politics of solar self-sufficiency.

I like RENOGY solar panels and TROJAN deep cycle batteries. 

Helps to have considerable electrical experience. Or a good friend that does.

• Thanks 1

Janneo
2 hours ago, Daddle said:

I would expect about P100,000 for what I described. Could spend much less or much more. It is very hard to know what is needed in advance. From my sailboat experience...10 years in SE Asia on solar...all I know for sure is everything is variable. If you are only trying to have some comfort during brownouts...like lights, fans, TV, internet then you may not need solar. Just a big battery charged from the utility grid, and in a pinch by an obnoxious gas generator.

To survive off grid for a few days or more then solar is a great option to extend the battery life. But sometimes it is cloudy for days on end and solar just doesn’t produce.

If you need air conditioning to sleep, or keep a refrigerator full of steaks and ice cream you will need a gas generator and fuel to run all day and night for a few days.

So pretty hard to know. What I would do, for my simple lifestyle, here in the rainforest where brownouts are weekly and typically extend for a few hours but often enough for a day or more, is have a large battery charged by solar panels. I detest running a generator and prefer the politics of solar self-sufficiency.

I like RENOGY solar panels and TROJAN deep cycle batteries. 

Helps to have considerable electrical experience. Or a good friend that does.

Thanks for the reply Daddle. Yep, it's some comfort I'm looking for. It gets boring quickly sitting in the dark with a flashlight reading a book. The brownouts are frequent ( about 30 since august ) but they rarely lasts longer than a day. My needs are pretty small and mostly just needed during the dark hours. Lights and phone charging being the important ones. Internet next. Running a computer and/or a TV would be a bonus, but probably not worth the increase in cost.

The fridge usually stays cold long enough if I'm careful. No need for aircon here, or even fans.

Thanks for pointing out the options. I have been pretty clueless and not put much thought into it. I will look into a battery charged from the grid. 

Woolf

Here is a thread about battery backup

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/96366-led-security-and-night-light-with-battery-back-up-completed/

Another thread

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/91784-led-12-vdc-lighting-problems/?tab=comments#comment-1193678

I think there are more earlier thread started by rogerdat

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1