Sign in to follow this  
Salty Dog

Trolls

Trolls  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Forum Get Rid Of The Habitual Trolls?

• No
    • Yes
    • Give Them A Warning
    • Give Them A Suspension

Richard K

ok.. do as you will... I will do as I have been.
My "gut" tells me this is to get rid of adverse.
Otherwise why qualify "troll"in such an obscure way?
Why not just get rid of any opinions that do not fit the "norm" here?
Why post a poll?.. I mean... you have the power...

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

RogerDuMond
4 minutes ago, Richard K said:

Why not just get rid of any opinions that do not fit the "norm" here?

Because that is not the definition of trolling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog

So far 36 members have viewed this thread, but only 13 have voted… 

Richard K
1 minute ago, RogerDuMond said:

Because that is not the definition of trolling.

Actually it is... in the current vernacular.
it is used on every forum and blog that does not adhere to the main forum/blogs agenda..
which certainly pertains to this one...
 I have been "trolled" on here.. sometimes relentlessly... there is hardly a post I make..because it is not of the general agenda.. that is not trolled.. most of mine could be categorized as "difference of opinion"... (separating the sarcastic stupid shit)  but it becomes somehow a troll bang-fest.

• Like 1

Mr. Mike

Richard...you crazy touch hole you.:kidding:

• Haha 5

Cgu

Put an actual real post, which you consider trolling, so we know what your definition is. I am sure the member does not mind.

Honestly I haven't seen any (maybe one:wink: ), except different opinions (hard ones, but ok)

The existing rules suffice.

Edited by Cgu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CardiacKid

My idea is to warn first, and then suspend if the poster is flagrantly trolling. Differences of opinion do not constitute trolling. The Forum should present as many opinions as possible for Newbies. Rose colored glasses viewpoints should be balanced with harsh reality. In the past, many groups presented only the bright side, and arguably ruined lives when the truth bit them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

savarity

I think that can work the other way too.  If a forum includes too many derisive individuals that can deter others from joining or participating.   So you would end up excluding by being inclusive.  
I think the real answer to this is, it depends.  Are they normally contributory or is the forum better off without them?  Are they generally sour or do they just have a problem with one or a few individuals, or maybe just having a bad day or week?  I'd be in favor of banning new members that come out swinging but for older members I'd go with a warning/suspension first.  Definite trolls should go though.

In my mind, the definition of a troll is someone playing a joke, saying something they don't really believe just to get a reaction out of others. Cast out some controversial bait and see if anyone bites.

Sounds like your definition can include anyone "sour."

This forum already has a very harsh reputation of showing people the door. Since before I started living in SEA in 2012 I've joined other sites, posted stuff, but didn't join this one on reputation, what's the point in joining a site that's just going to toss you off? Did a year ago, but didn't start posting till after the changeover, things seemed more open.

Still, I've noticed a couple people I liked were given the boot, and there seems to be new rules in the last week, plus here's a proposal to clamp down on "trolls," which may be interpreted as 'people found to be annoying.' 4chan is full of trolls, I've yet to see good troll post on here, but before any comment I post on this site, the first thing I think is, "better not," and at most only put down an edited and bland comment. Walking on egg shells.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

shadow
15 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

So what is a troll?  At LinC it appears to be someone with a different point of view, or someone who supports the other side of politics or heaven forbid someone who dares to quote something that indicates they may have a superior knowledge on a particular subject.  Some past members who made very informative posts have sadly been chased away on very dubious grounds.

In my opinion if this trend continues not only will new members not happen, but what's left will be a small circle of 'closed minded boguns' nit picking at each other until the forum self destructs.  Members (active) are what is needed and they need to be ATTRACTED to LinC, not frightened off by the the often baseless personal attacks that occur. 

For what its worth I think participation in the forum should be like chatting with a mob of blokes in a bar. Say anything you like but stay away from discussing politics and religion and never make a derogatory comment about the other bloke or his family, or you should and will end up on your arse!! Simple!  :good:

I have a different point of view. I think a Troll is someone who repeatedly makes posts just to rile up others.

So you are calling me a Troll?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

RangerUp
14 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

What say you all... 

Generally speaking, moderators are necessary to do things like merge similar-threads, remove  illegal content, basic things like that.

Once they get too involved in "over-moderating" content, editing posts, removing comments, that's when the problems start - especially if they start playing favorites.  Let the members post what they want, if they want to go off-topic, if they want to 'troll', if they want to cry about 'trolls',  let the other members decide how to respond to them. Nice and transparent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dafey

We are all Trolls.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Edwin

We no longer have a troll problem.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jester

The problem with trolls is they drive the worthwhile members away.   I bitched about one on another forum 2 years ago, he is still there and has driven 3 good members away. I seldom go there myself anymore. 

• Like 7