Salty Dog

Trolls

Trolls  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should The Forum Get Rid Of The Habitual Trolls?

• No
    • Yes
    • Give Them A Warning
    • Give Them A Suspension

Salty Dog

What say you all... 

Headshot

Who is to say which members are trolls. Typically people think that anybody who doesn't agree with them is a troll. That is fairly subjective. When the new owner took over, he said he wanted to be more inclusive. Isn't that working out? 

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

TequilaSunset
Who is to say which members are trolls. Typically people think that anybody who doesn't agree with them is a troll. That is fairly subjective. When the new owner took over, he said he wanted to be more inclusive. Isn't that working out? 
Start a topic... They will come

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Semper paratus
RogerDuMond
54 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Who is to say which members are trolls.

I can think of one, but my answer is no, as normally habitual trolls don't last very long here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Salty Dog
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

When the new owner took over, he said he wanted to be more inclusive. Isn't that working out

You tell me. Haven't you had issues with how certain members seem to be trolling you without any repercussions… 

The current owner has already provided his input, but he has defered to staff for the final decision. 

Those who often make valuable contributions to the forum, probably do get away with more than others. Where as a troll who mostly just posts to pick on others and never provides valuable input, is much easier to think of as disposable. 

• Like 4

TequilaSunset

Where as a troll who mostly just posts to pick on others and never provides valuable input, is much easier to think of as disposable. 

Oh oh... I know of one!!!

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Salty Dog
4 minutes ago, TequilaSunset said:

Oh oh... I know of one!!! emoji14.png

Don't we all… :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Headshot
45 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Don't we all… :rolleyes:

And that was my point. I would bet that if every member were to name three trolls on the forums, everybody would have different lists. If you are talking about members who intentionally attack others just because they think it is funny, then my answer would be different, but the term "troll" is just too broad. I would hate to see membership in the forums to become a popularity contest. There is at least one person on staff who would like to see me gone, and I would hate to think that this could be used just to oust those who don't always agree with the established viewpoint. The value of the forums is, at least partly, that you do get differing viewpoints, and that those viewpoints may cause you to think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

EOMFD464
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

:troll: 🤣

• Haha 5

Bama

Since you asked Dog then I will offer up my 2PHP.

I  understand that in the CR a lot of things are overlooked.There can be a bit of BS slung from time to time.

To cut down on what I perceive to be trolling, I believe that requiring a link to substantiate a persons post that they claim is factual might be useful-----especially in the Politics section. 

If a person is simply stating their opinion then they would certainly be entitled to do so unfettered.

Edited by Bama
  • Like 1

Richard K

Well.. I am an opinionated touchhole... I am not of the general barrel here but I am none-the less..in my own convoluted way a sarcastic twat. 
A "troll" to me is someone that somehow finds the need to address every single post of someone's (or some tropic) in some adverse and demeaning way...and at times becomes to the "personal" insult aspect....leaving the "general"  type of broad brush paint anyone that is in disagreement and directed to the poster.
Is this what you are referring to?
What are the parameters of this "poll" 

• Thanks 2

RogerDuMond
5 minutes ago, Richard K said:

What are the parameters of this "poll" 

The parameters are no, yes, give them a warning, and Give Them A Suspension

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Chris24

Warning and suspension.  The warning is for those who don't know better or maybe just reacted poorly to something.  The suspension is for true trolling behavior where someone is clearly deriving amusement from overly stirring the pot at others' expense.  The suspension denies them their fix so they can go troll elsewhere for a while and come back if they have something helpful to contribute.  

I used to moderate a forum, and don't think LinC has a problem with trolls as online forums go.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
6 hours ago, Headshot said:

When the new owner took over, he said he wanted to be more inclusive. Isn't that working out? 

I think that can work the other way too.  If a forum includes too many derisive individuals that can deter others from joining or participating.   So you would end up excluding by being inclusive.  

I think the real answer to this is, it depends.  Are they normally contributory or is the forum better off without them?  Are they generally sour or do they just have a problem with one or a few individuals, or maybe just having a bad day or week?  I'd be in favor of banning new members that come out swinging but for older members I'd go with a warning/suspension first.  Definite trolls should go though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1