RR3

Angkas - Bike Taxi In Cebu City

smokey

Election time so lets be extra nice to the little guys

badian
13 hours ago, savarity said:
15 hours ago, badian said:
I use habel habel motorbike taxis in Cebu all the time. I must take about 30 hubel hubel journeys for every car taxi one. I only use car taxis when it is raining heavily or sometimes when I am with a girl. The last time I used a car taxi was when I needed to move a fridge somewhere about six weeks ago. That is the kind of situation where I ever would use cartaxis. Car taxis are too slow and too expensive - 

Interesting, I've asked the habel guys hanging around on bikes outside places in the business area how much for (wherever) and the price was always about the same as a car/taxi. So I just stopped asking years ago and use Grab mostly now. Which is about 80p minimum.

it must be your manner of asking, or you just didn't ask Filipino people who use hubel hubels all the time, what the fares are. 

hubel hubel motor fares should be about half, or perhaps a little more than half, of what a car taxi fare should be. So a 100 peso car taxi translates into a 60 peso hubel hubel. I even use them for long distances - out to Compostela from Cebu sometimes. A 600 peso negotiated car taxi fare out of the city to Danao, would be about 350-400 on a motorbike. 

the drivers are always OK. They never try to overcharge ridiculously.  They might ask like 80 for a fare you know, should be about 60. They never ask for something silly, like 200. 

in heavy traffic - which is when hubel hubels come into their own and totally waste the competition - they always want to charge more. They claim the extra because they have to work much harder, weaving in between the traffic. It is a reasonable request. SM to Fuente on a hubel hubel to Fuente, should normally be 50 or 60 when a car taxi is 100. But when traffic is gridlocked on a Friday night at about 6pm, 80 or 90 is a reasonable fare. 

hubel hubels are best over short distances of 1km or less. 10-15-20 peso fares. Sometimes they want charge a difference price, in a different direction. Going TO a mall, where they can easily pick up the next fare after dropping you off, might cost 5 pesos less, than going AWAY from a mall, where it is less easy for them to pick up the next passenger.

• Like 1

savarity

it must be your manner of asking, or you just didn't ask Filipino people who use hubel hubels all the time, what the fares are. 

Very true, but is it really a lower price if I can't access it? It's a bit like dealing with a street fruit seller in that way. So, I just don't bother. And the drivers themselves are Filipino, so yes I did ask Filipino people, lol.

badian

the fare should be 60% of the car taxi fare in normal conditions, in heavy traffic their utility increases. Instead of getting you there in half the time that a car taxi would, in heavy traffic they can get your there in a fourth of the time. That means they are worth more. It entitles them to charge an extra 30%. 

I'm amazed at how honest the drivers always are. I've never had even one that really overcharged a lot. They also remember you even if you don't remember them. Unlike with car taxis, very few foreigners ever use hubel hubels so you stand out and it is less of a task for them to remember you - because of the nature of the travel, they get up a lot closer to you on a motorbike. You are not hiding away behind a barrier in the back like a passenger in a car usually is. 

savarity

So, if I'm following that correctly, you're saying they charge about 90% of a taxi fare during busy conditions? That sounds more like the quotes I heard.

Anyway, they're not for me; dangerous, uncomfortable, cost about the same, don't like wearing the helmet, and I'm never in a hurry to get anywhere ;) But used them a few times back when the bridge to Mactan was under repair. Certainly understand why some people would choose that option if they were in a hurry.

badian

90% of the time it is about 60%. Only in the very busiest times do they ask for more and in my opinion it is a justified request. You're getting a service that is three to four times faster than a car is, for less money. A car will take about 80 minutes to get from like Basak, Lapu Lapu to Lahug, Cebu city on a Friday at about 6pm. A hubel hubel will do it in 15 or 20. I don't find being a passenger on a motorcycle in metro Cebu 'uncomfortable' at all, and it's a lot more comfortable having someone else doing the driving in the metro area than driving myself, which I used to, and which I don't miss one jot. 

Sundays and holidays, when there is no traffic at all compared to in the week, I never even use hubel hubels except for short hops of 25 pesos or less. It is jeepneys then. On those days jeepney - even if you need to change and get two or three - becomes the most cost effective form of transportation.

Soupeod
5 hours ago, badian said:

90% of the time it is about 60%. Only in the very busiest times do they ask for more and in my opinion it is a justified request. You're getting a service that is three to four times faster than a car is, for less money. A car will take about 80 minutes to get from like Basak, Lapu Lapu to Lahug, Cebu city on a Friday at about 6pm. A hubel hubel will do it in 15 or 20. I don't find being a passenger on a motorcycle in metro Cebu 'uncomfortable' at all, and it's a lot more comfortable having someone else doing the driving in the metro area than driving myself, which I used to, and which I don't miss one jot. 

Sundays and holidays, when there is no traffic at all compared to in the week, I never even use hubel hubels except for short hops of 25 pesos or less. It is jeepneys then. On those days jeepney - even if you need to change and get two or three - becomes the most cost effective form of transportation.

IMHO waste of time, get a grab taxi and your life is not in danger for an extra 100P.

• Like 1

badian

never even had even a semi-iffy moment as a passenger on a hubel hubel. The drivers are of a good standard and better than car drivers are. Car drivers are the ones that take the most risks as they risk compensate. 

they're just the best form of transport here by a mile. Maybe sitting in traffic jams for hours doesn't matter to the average old-boy retiree but believe me, even SUV owning CEO's of companies in IT Park use hubel hubels when they need to attend meetings in like Mandaue or Lapu Lapu, they have a busy day , and they're in a bit of a hurry.