Dafey

Closet Build

Bama
13 minutes ago, Dafey said:

What we have is fine but for a few pesos more we could have purchased slow closing hinges as an upgrade.

Looks like first class work.Thanks for sharing.

The slow closing hinges that you mentioned IMO are subject to early failure.Please note how 1/2 of the hinge has to be countersunk into the door (on the right in the pic). In my case anyway there is too little material left for the hinge screws to bite into long term. The doors being made of plywood doesn't help the situation as it's difficult to counter sink accurately using basic hand tools. When the door starts to loosen up over time then an over sized screw is often used.When this option fails then you have to use a long nut/bolt assembly and drill completely through the door to install. That's where I'm at now with several of my cabinet doors.

Someone might have a better idea.Would like to see a pic of the hinges used in your build.

hinge.jpg.b4031c764812ced28622c25611431112.jpg

• Like 1

colemanlee
25 minutes ago, Bama said:

The slow closing hinges that you mentioned IMO are subject to early failure.Please note how 1/2 of the hinge has to be countersunk into the door (on the right in the pic). In my case anyway there is too little material left for the hinge screws to bite into long term. The doors being made of plywood doesn't help the situation as it's difficult to counter sink accurately using basic hand tools. When the door starts to loosen up over time then an over sized screw is often used.When this option fails then you have to use a long nut/bolt assembly and drill completely through the door to install. That's where I'm at now with several of my cabinet doors.

Someone might have a better idea.Would like to see a pic of the hinges used in your build.

Ive got those on the doors to our cabinets...half of them are broken now, we plan on using regular hinges in the new house...

• Like 1

Jester
12 hours ago, Bama said:

I use this type of hinge,  there are definitely different grades of quality.  The cheap ones just do not last.  I like the Blum, easy to find in the US, don't know about P's.

I have not installed any in plywood, however they are used often in MDF (particle board) and seem to last.  Instead of each wood screw you drill a hole for a plastic insert, and use a special Euro screw that expands the plastic.  The system was devised for use in MDF.

https://www.amazon.com/Blum-70-0532-Dowel-10-6-Hinges/dp/B074V95BTV/ref=pd_cp_60_1?pd_rd_w=XKPoG&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=ABVWEX6R2W4JHWZ34R6G&pd_rd_r=448c0b5f-02dc-11e9-b994-2beee4ad06be&pd_rd_wg=WozDg&pd_rd_i=B074V95BTV&psc=1&refRID=ABVWEX6R2W4JHWZ34R6G

The last batch of hinges I bought came with the insert pre installed.  Again I have no idea where you would find these in the PI's but is the way I would do it.

Also have to make sure you use enough hinges and when installing 3 and up on a door, extreme care must be used to make sure they are all lined up,  no margin of error for that.

IMG_0458.JPG

Edited by Jester
  • Like 2