Sign in to follow this  
Rexsmith

How To Invest In The Growth Of The Philippines

bigpearl
19 minutes ago, Irenicus said:

You could always roll the dice and invest in a lending company.  I have been with one for four years and getting around 19%.  

Possible downside is it turning into a Ponzi scheme......

We roll the dice daily, all of us whether financial or simply crossing a busy road or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Most times we get up and dust off the bruises and carry on.

With regards to my minimal experience with lending companies in PH. Mostly private provincial lenders, my partners cousin was a lender and made great money for 2 or 3 years until many of the borrowers defaulted, many of these loans unsecured and even more secured by non existent assets  and naively secured docs. (more fool him) (fixers perhaps) You may be the exception to the rule and have probably done your home work 10 times over. Great returns by the sounds of it and does it include 5-6% CPI increases? Taxes etc?

Pyramid schemes have been around forever (insurance companies roll with this, selling new policies to cover losses/boost profits) and one simply needs to get in early and get out before the dice is rolled. From my experience in PH money loaned is money lost, but not always. Dollars can be invested and recoup good returns. Really depends on how astute the investor is.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1

Irenicus
9 hours ago, bigpearl said:

many of the borrowers defaulted, many of these loans unsecured and even more secured by non existent assets  and naively secured docs. (more fool him) (fixers perhaps)

The company I invested in provides secured loans (vehicle, house, property) exclusively to OFWs.  So far so good - but again, such investments are still high risk.

• Like 2

smokey
22 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

I am sure in the eyes of the majority of purchasers anywhere in the world a house is still seen as an investment, I know I do. I have known of many, many "love struck" foreigners here in the Philippines who have lost their life's savings by 'investing' in property. And as stated simply, Foreigners can't own property in the Philippines. 

Married couples build houses and the house is called community property guess if the wife plays hardball and says take your half with you that can be done

bigpearl
11 hours ago, smokey said:

Married couples build houses and the house is called community property guess if the wife plays hardball and says take your half with you that can be done

We all hear you Smokey and generally this is how it goes but not always, astute members on this site and others that have done their homework (mostly requires years of study and boots on the ground experiences) employ levels of protection whether they be a condo owned by the member or simply rent (probably one of the safest) or have conjunctival property/lease. I think a key issue is not to involve family and keep them at arms length, Do your business only with your better half, share, listen then as always make rational decisions. Good luck and prosper through these emotional and financial times but always remember the wallet is in your pocket.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by bigpearl
  • Like 1

Jack Rat
7 minutes ago, bigpearl said:

We all hear you Smokey and generally this is how it goes but not always, astute members on this site and others that have done their homework (mostly requires years of study and boots on the ground experiences) employ levels of protection whether they be a condo owned by the member or simply rent (probably one of the safest) or have conjunctival property/lease. I think a key issue is not to involve family and keep them at arms length, Do your business only with your better half, share, listen then as always make rational decisions. Good luck and prosper through these emotional and financial times but always remember the wallet is in your pocket.

Cheers, Steve.

Boots on the ground yes, years of study no .  but a little common sense also goes a long way.

smokey

Shit happens always keep one year cash on hand and use a bank not here and all else can and will be worked out.  .. At my age its all about relaxing and let the next generation invest

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1