Sign in to follow this  
Rexsmith

How To Invest In The Growth Of The Philippines

smokey

If i was to do it over i would put any extra in a tier 2 and rent a nice condo get bored move to another nice condo

• Haha 1

Cgu
2 hours ago, smokey said:

If i was to do it over i would put any extra in a tier 2 and rent a nice condo get bored move to another nice condo

You can still do it!

Davaoeno
39 minutes ago, Cgu said:

You can still do it!

why would he want to rent a condo when he already owns a huge house ??

Cgu
21 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

why would he want to rent a condo when he already owns a huge house ??

Because he said if he would do it again...maybe some regret in it, but he still can do it!

Jack Rat
21 hours ago, Province-life said:

Small business is the only one I'd do.

Land and real estate has been going up fast but no guarantee it will continue to do so. Rent returns are crap, 5 mil condos rent for 20k

The really smart guys leave the majority of their dosh in their own home country. I can't understand why someone would put their hard earned cash down on a property they can't legally own outright. How many times over the years have I seen a love struck foreigner and in good faith, sign up for a property with his newly acquired lover then after a year or two finds himself given the heave-ho, it is seldom these guys recoup any of their investment. 

One can easily find a comfortable house or condo to rent for less than 20000 pesos a month, and quite often furnished. Even if a foreigner leases a block of land for 25 x 25 total 50 years which is legal in the Philippines, the rules of ownership can still be amended at any time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Cgu
5 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

The really smart guys leave the majority of their dosh in their own home country. I can't understand why someone would put their hard earned cash down on a property they can't legally own outright. How many times over the years have I seen a love struck foreigner and in good faith, sign up for a property with his newly acquired lover then after a year or two finds himself given the heave-ho, it is seldom these guys recoup any of their investment. 

One can easily find a comfortable house or condo to rent for less than 20000 pesos a month, and quite often furnished. Even if a foreigner leases a block of land for 25 x 25 total 50 years which is legal in the Philippines, the rules of ownership can still be amended at any time. 

I do not call that an investment if you buy or build a house because of love. Strange definition of investment. I do not consider the house I live in an investment, maybe some do.

As said before Philippines is still growing fast in the property sector and there are good opportunities and ways to invest in it. But if your investment is led by your little head nowhere in the world it will be successful.

Edited by Cgu

Jack Rat
11 hours ago, Cgu said:

I do not call that an investment if you buy or build a house because of love. Strange definition of investment. I do not consider the house I live in an investment, maybe some do.

As said before Philippines is still growing fast in the property sector and there are good opportunities and ways to invest in it. But if your investment is led by your little head nowhere in the world it will be successful.

I am sure in the eyes of the majority of purchasers anywhere in the world a house is still seen as an investment, I know I do. I have known of many, many "love struck" foreigners here in the Philippines who have lost their life's savings by 'investing' in property. And as stated simply, Foreigners can't own property in the Philippines. 

Davaoeno
12 hours ago, Cgu said:

I do not call that an investment if you buy or build a house because of love.

Its called an investment in your future ! Not all investments are totally about money .

• Like 1

Cgu
1 minute ago, Davaoeno said:

Its called an investment in your future ! Not all investments are totally about money .

All investments are into the future. If someone comes here and builds a house for love,  he  does not think about making money and we heard lots of stories how it goes.

This topic is about making money in the Philippines, not about feelings etc. So for me these 2 things have to be strictly separated.

Jack Rat
30 minutes ago, Cgu said:

All investments are into the future. If someone comes here and builds a house for love,  he  does not think about making money and we heard lots of stories how it goes.

This topic is about making money in the Philippines, not about feelings etc. So for me these 2 things have to be strictly separated.

Making money in the Philippines for a foreigner goes something like this..To make a million you spend two million!

Cgu

I  suspect most in this forum had bad experiences or heard stories about it..not sure.

I experienced the opposite where foreigner had and have good businesses here. 

I just came back from a trip from Siargao and was positively surprised how many foreigner have started an expanded their business there. Most in resorts and most are very young!! (Mostly European, Spanish, French etc.) and are doing very well. Also, if you talk to the locals it is well known that it is owned by foreigners. There is always a way to secure your investment, as the risk are known - so no problem there. The unknown risks are the problem like in any investment. But that is being an investor, you take on risks to get above normal returns. Otherwise stick to your saving account!!

Stories like expat lost because the wife separated him is mostly not investments and doing business here. I hear stories from other countries like US where the husband was stripped clean after a divorce. Same same, but different.

Jack Rat
1 hour ago, Cgu said:

I  suspect most in this forum had bad experiences or heard stories about it..not sure.

I experienced the opposite where foreigner had and have good businesses here. 

I just came back from a trip from Siargao and was positively surprised how many foreigner have started an expanded their business there. Most in resorts and most are very young!! (Mostly European, Spanish, French etc.) and are doing very well. Also, if you talk to the locals it is well known that it is owned by foreigners. There is always a way to secure your investment, as the risk are known - so no problem there. The unknown risks are the problem like in any investment. But that is being an investor, you take on risks to get above normal returns. Otherwise stick to your saving account!!

Stories like expat lost because the wife separated him is mostly not investments and doing business here. I hear stories from other countries like US where the husband was stripped clean after a divorce. Same same, but different.

And spend only what you are prepared to lose!

• Like 1

Cgu
3 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

Yes of course. Or young enough to start over again, like enterpreneurs do. A rule of thumb is the 100 minus age wealth % you can put a higher risk investment.

bigpearl
2 hours ago, Jack Rat said:

100% agree Jack and while yes there is good input both positive and negative one has to remember that no matter the country when it comes to investing there are always risks, the greater the return = higher risk, safe = lower returns as we all know.

Current investments in OZ return us on average 8% after tax. Take into account an average CPI increase of say 2% then our net return is only 6%. We don't work these investments and most are passive.

Potential investments in PH can obviously be risky no matter fixed interest or the share market but as many here know there are riskier business ventures in PH as well as a plethora of other countries that return big dollars providing one does their homework and has a hand in managing the investment.

An example. We purchased in PH. Yes in my partners name, 25 x 25 year lease to me, ownership of buildings and improvements etc etc, absolute beachfront house and lot has increased in value 50 to 60% in 2 years. (watch the market, I did for years and found a good deal) We will also invest 50 to 60K Aussie dollars (depending on how hard we haggle to secure) setting up a business, purchasing assets in a secure industry suggested by my better half that was assured a 35% + return,,,,,,,, wait baby let me do the figures please. My figures revealed a 25/6% return, Somewhat conservative as I am I allowed a 20% return nett. Yes we can afford to blow 50K as the ROI is worth it and it will keep my better half busy until we find another opportunity while growing our initial investment.

Lose it we may though very doubtful but if so will have fun along the way. Always learning.

Hey BTW this is only me and my experiences and while some may try to shoot me down I have spent enough time in PH to be comfortable enough to move here and am very happy with my/our decisions and my future in this country.

Cheers, Steve.

Edited by bigpearl

Irenicus
On 12/16/2018 at 7:19 AM, Rexsmith said:

General question. How can one take advantage to the growth in the Philippines? I have read and heard that buying apartments here are generally not a good investment.

You could always roll the dice and invest in a lending company.  I have been with one for four years and getting around 19%.  

Possible downside is it turning into a Ponzi scheme......

• Like 1