Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Front Vs. Top Load Washer

HeyMike
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

I"ve seen stuff get tied up.  I bought my Whirlpool with agitator here 10 years ago.

So, did you get rid of the Whirlpool?

Enuff
Went with the 10.5Kg Samsung for 41,550 from Echo.  SM Cebu was about p500 more for the display model while Echo had 2 unopened units in the warehouse. I decided not to get the W/D version for about 6500 more. It just didn't seem worth it.  We can use solar and if she needs something fast she can iron it. 
This thing is heavy.  Substantially heavier than our similar sized Whirlpool top loader.  Came with a damn German type F plug. WTF? Does this look like Germany?  You would think Samsung would do some kind of market research. Had to cut that shite off and put on a real type B plug. Also came with a hose designed to clamp onto a faucet or a spigot without threads using 4 little screws that might work for a while.  The manual says there's supposed to be a nipple for a real spigot but it wasn't in the box.  Echo is supposed to be sending one out. I'm using the hose that was on the Whirlpool for now.
Setup was pretty easy. Removed 4 shipping stabilizer bolts and drained something out of the front.  Adjusted the feet. And then ran some calibration thing.  It's amazingly quiet. The only noise when the water was going in and I think that was just the first time pushing out the air. I had to go outside and look in the door to see if it was still running. 
The water gets really hot. We probably won't use hot a lot but this was kind of a test run with mostly some of my work clothes.  I didn't time it but pretty sure it was under an hour without prewash.  One feature that might be kind of useful is the delayed wash.  You can have it wait 1-24 hours to start.  So you can set it up and then go spend a night somewhere and then when you get back your clothes are just finished and ready to hang up without spending a lot of time clumped in the washer.  Not really a selling point but nice to have. 
Wife likes it so I'm happy with it.

23lbs a load, that thing will rust out from sitting long before you see any benefit.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

SkyMan
34 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

So, did you get rid of the Whirlpool?

No, still sitting on the porch until I feel like hauling it to the junk shop. 

34 minutes ago, Enuff said:

23lbs a load, that thing will rust out from sitting long before you see any benefit.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Benefit of what?  Really, doesn't seem that big inside.  I'm going to have to get a scale to see if we're stuffing it enough.  We've been filling it loosely without packing it but more could be pushed in if that's not up to the max. We tend to save up laundry rather then doing a load every day or every other day or whatever.  I think it's more efficient to one load in a large machine then 2 in a smaller machine. 

• Like 1

HongKongPhooey
27 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Not a dig at you but this started ringing in my brain when I read that-

• Like 1

HeyMike
36 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

If it is still okay, I would like to get the water inlet valve from the machine before you junk it. I tried the white vinegar soak to no avail, and Lazada has what looks like the same valve, but all of them are 110 volt solenoids on them and I need a 220 volt, of course. Let me know if this is okay. Thanks SkyMan.

cookie47
If it is still okay, I would like to get the water inlet valve from the machine before you junk it. I tried the white vinegar soak to no avail, and Lazada has what looks like the same valve, but all of them are 110 volt solenoids on them and I need a 220 volt, of course. Let me know if this is okay. Thanks SkyMan.
@HeyMike,
Just a though again, I'm following the thread with interest.

As you are going to access the suspect valve.Have you got the facility (Multimeter) to check the voltage at the valve. This would at least give you some comfort that the valve is actually being told what to do.....

Inlet valves also "in most cases" give a distinctive CLUNK when the washer is set to operate.

Also I'm not sure if you said if it was a hot and cold model. If it has both hot and cold inlets you can swap the valves assuming that they are not both faulty (unlikely). I'm not aware IF the electrical properties of the valves are different, but do know the hot is painted red... (In my case)....

Obviously swapping the valves with Skymans is going to be the first and easy and logical option.
Unfortunately these washers have a logic circuit board which controls the process that tells things what to do and when.
They (The circuit boards) are very susceptible to fail due to power surges due to lightening strikes.

Sorry to sound doom and gloom but I'm trying to help and reduce a lot of head scratching....

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
28 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

As you are going to access the suspect valve.Have you got the facility (Multimeter) to check the voltage at the valve. This would at least give you some comfort that the valve is actually being told what to do.....

If the solenoid is being activated you may find it runs at 110v.  So then the Lazada ones would work, but yes, if you want mine that's fine.

• Like 1

cookie47
If the solenoid is being activated you may find it runs at 110v.  So then the Lazada ones would work, but yes, if you want mine that's fine.
Yeh, the Australian ones are 230 volt, so I'm only Guessing it would be the same or so here in ph.

I'm just being cautious to conclude the correct diagnosis for the best outcome.

Substituting your valve is the easiest option.

I'm a bit old school in both experience and age and do like to diagnose the problem rather than "lets give this a try"

But that's me

HeyMike
1 hour ago, cookie47 said:

@HeyMike,
Just a though again, I'm following the thread with interest.

Inlet valves also "in most cases" give a distinctive CLUNK when the washer is set to operate.

Also I'm not sure if you said if it was a hot and cold model. If it has both hot and cold inlets you can swap the valves assuming that they are not both faulty (unlikely). I'm not aware IF the electrical properties of the valves are different, but do know the hot is painted red... (In my case)....

Obviously swapping the valves with Skymans is going to be the first and easy and logical option.
Unfortunately these washers have a logic circuit board which controls the process that tells things what to do and when.
They (The circuit boards) are very susceptible to fail due to power surges due to lightening strikes.

Sorry to sound doom and gloom but I'm trying to help and reduce a lot of head scratching....

Thanks Cookie again. I don't have a multimeter, but you are correct, the meter would tell me if the solenoid is the problem or if it is something else.. I don't have 1 here, but I see Lazada has many multimeters in all price ranges. I may have to get one.

I did switch the plugs around and tried all the settings. The unit does have a hot water and cold water inlet valves. And it is strange that both solenoids would go at the same time. The meter would tell me where the problem is.

It takes less then 5 minutes to remove the valve unit. It is the trouble shooting that takes the time. The machine makes no noise at all when i try to fill it... no humming that I would expect, or any noise or thuds. Completely dead.

I can't afford a new machine, so I will fix this one, or continue to fill the machine tub with a water hose. This works fine for the wash cycle, but the rinse cycle really should be spraying water as it goes through that cycle. 

HeyMike
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

On my valve unit it does say 220 volt. I am going to ask around and see if a neighbor has a multimeter. But I would like to come up and get the unit from your machine. It takes 5 minutes to remove it from the machine.

cookie47

Thanks Cookie again. I don't have a multimeter, but you are correct, the meter would tell me if the solenoid is the problem or if it is something else.. I don't have 1 here, but I see Lazada has many multimeters in all price ranges. I may have to get one.
I did switch the plugs around and tried all the settings. The unit does have a hot water and cold water inlet valves. And it is strange that both solenoids would go at the same time. The meter would tell me where the problem is.
It takes less then 5 minutes to remove the valve unit. It is the trouble shooting that takes the time. The machine makes no noise at all when i try to fill it... no humming that I would expect, or any noise or thuds. Completely dead.
I can't afford a new machine, so I will fix this one, or continue to fill the machine tub with a water hose. This works fine for the wash cycle, but the rinse cycle really should be spraying water as it goes through that cycle. 
I've Got two multimeters, don't buy if not needed.
Am in Consolacion if i can help. Don't have transport.
Going to Daanbantayan tomorrow day trip
Otherwise home at all times..

HeyMike
38 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

I've Got two multimeters, don't buy if not needed.
Am in Consolacion if i can help. Don't have transport.
Going to Daanbantayan tomorrow day trip
Otherwise home at all times..

Thanks Cookie, maybe when I get the valve from SkyMan, I can stop at your place and pick it up.

Woolf

You can get a multimeter from cdr-king  as low as 120 php

even the 120 ph one will do the job for you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

cookie47
Thanks Cookie, maybe when I get the valve from SkyMan, I can stop at your place and pick it up.
No problem

• Thanks 1

HeyMike

Okay, I want to put a period on to the situation of my broken washing machine (I know everyone has been waiting with baited breath (I know it's bated, jk)).

So, I invested in a multimeter, and yep, no continuity on the solenoids on the water valves. So, when I went to the States I ordered a new water valve. It was a little hard to find, too. Everyone had the 110 volt valve, but very hard to find the 220 volt valve. Anyway, finally found one for $65. Installed it last week, and now I have a working washing machine again. Hallelujah, ... the end. 

• Like 1