Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Front Vs. Top Load Washer

HeyMike
28 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Valve does not have to be in machine - can be in line to it with extended wires if replacement does not fit same space- would need to splice interior hose

If repair shop near take old one and get a generic

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=water+solenoid+valve&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4l.home.search.go.239e6ef0YXiEuu

Thanks lamoe. Lazada has only 1 solenoid valve for whirlpool, but it does look close to the one in my machine. It is strange because the prices are from 646 pesos up to 3116 pesos for the same unit.

edit: Lazada does have other valves for Whirlpool, but it is the blue ones that are very similar to mine.

Edited by HeyMike

GBT62
5 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

It is strange because the prices are from 646 pesos up to 3116 pesos for the same unit.

Are the crazy expensive ones from South Korea ?   I notice all the time that the same item available from NCR or China on Lazada - will be 5 to 10 times the price when it says the origin is South Korea ..... no idea why.

Silly question - because my ex used to have the same water issue with her Whirlpool - are both hot and cold taps connected and turned on at the tap - if you are selecting a warm wash ? 

She used to select a hot or warm wash - useless because the new house only had a single cold water connection (the hot wasn't connected at all). She'd then complain to me the machine wouldn't fill up or run. One press to a "cold" cycle and it worked as designed. The lack of water pressure (due to no hot water hose) on the solenoid sent a signal to the machine - stopping it from filling any water....

Of course - if all is connected fine - plan A is you hopefully have a stuffed soleniod. If it is the logic board .... they are more of a PITA to replace.

Salty Dog
5 hours ago, SkyMan said:

... I was considering a w/d combo but the dryer part would only be for the rare emergency and I think in that case we could just use the iron so the added cost isn't justified...

With the speed that these new front load washer spin, the clothes come out nearly dry if not loaded to full.

• Like 2

HeyMike
22 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

Are the crazy expensive ones from South Korea ?   I notice all the time that the same item available from NCR or China on Lazada - will be 5 to 10 times the price when it says the origin is South Korea ..... no idea why.

Silly question - because my ex used to have the same water issue with her Whirlpool - are both hot and cold taps connected and turned on at the tap - if you are selecting a warm wash ? 

She used to select a hot or warm wash - useless because the new house only had a single cold water connection (the hot wasn't connected at all). She'd then complain to me the machine wouldn't fill up or run. One press to a "cold" cycle and it worked as designed. The lack of water pressure (due to no hot water hose) on the solenoid sent a signal to the machine - stopping it from filling any water....

Of course - if all is connected fine - plan A is you hopefully have a stuffed soleniod. If it is the logic board .... they are more of a PITA to replace.

I too only have cold water here and had only 1 hose connected. I can only select the cold setting. The water does not come into the machine at all (it used to). I do fill the washer through the top and the cycles do work, except no water will come in through the valves.

After the clothes wash in the wash cycle, the spin cycle does work. I then have to refill the machine from a hose connected to a faucet for the rinse cycle (usually 3 times because the washer can not spray water during the rinse and spin cycle). It's an ordeal, but beats doing the wash by hand.

Edit: I just looked and, yes, the more expensive ones are from S. Korea

Edited by HeyMike

Bama

Perhaps unr

5 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

I too only have cold water here and had only 1 hose connected. I can only select the cold setting.

I also only have cold water available to the washer.I found that if I only connected one hose that the washer leaked out of the unused hot connection.I then teed off the the cold water hose and connected to both the hot and cold side.Washer runs,fills,rinses as advertised with no problems.

• Like 1

SkyMan

On hot/cold. Some of the washers I looked at have 2 inlets and some just cold. Some of those with just cold have a temp setting so there is an internal heater.  The ones with 2 inlets select just hot cold or both for warm and you need your own heater. 

• Like 1

GBT62

If you were in Cebu - I'd say your solenoid was seized with mineral deposits - and to soak it in vinegar for 30 mins. I have to do my kettle, shower and tap nozzles every few weeks to clear them- and even the toilet float mechanism every 2 or 3 months when it seizes.

The water here is so damn hard with minerals....

• Like 1

HeyMike
8 minutes ago, Bama said:

Perhaps unr

I also only have cold water available to the washer.I found that if I only connected one hose that the washer leaked out of the unused hot connection.I then teed off the the cold water hose and connected to both the hot and cold side.Washer runs,fills,rinses as advertised with no problems.

I can't remember if I had to plug off the hot water inlet. Friggin machine has been broken for so long. I would have seen water leaking if it was leaking. I never tried connecting both the hot and cold to a "t" or "y" connector. It may be worth a try.

HeyMike
1 minute ago, GBT62 said:

If you were in Cebu - I'd say your solenoid was seized with mineral deposits - and to soak it in vinegar for 30 mins. I have to do my kettle, shower and tap nozzles every few weeks to clear them- and even the toilet float mechanism every 2 or 3 months when it seizes.

That is a very real possibility here. In fact, that is going to be my next step. The mineral deposits are incredible here. In fact, when take a shower, I have to take another shower just to wash off the minerals from the first shower (wink).

Bama
42 minutes ago, HeyMike said:

I can't remember if I had to plug off the hot water inlet.

I too tried to plug off my hot water connection and it just  found somewhere else to leak. The tee  did the trick----perhaps not having equal water pressure on both sides of the inlet valve was the problema.

The tee wasn't easy to find BTW. One can find British and American pipe threading here that doesn't interchange. I got mine off of Lazada. The plastic garden tee that you can get at Citi doesn't work.

Edited by Bama

hyaku

First time I have ever heard of anybody using hot wash here. I have been in Asia nearly forty years. First thing I found was they used cold wash. The powders are made for that. 

Woolf

My LG has a build in heating element, only one water inlet

Front loaders use less water

saves on electricity as less water to heat

• Like 1

HeyMike
11 minutes ago, Bama said:

I too tried to plug off my hot water connection and it just  found somewhere else to leak. The tee  did the trick----perhaps not having equal water pressure on both sides of the inlet valve was the problema.

The tee wasn't easy to find BTW. One can find British and American pipe threading here that doesn't interchange. I got mine off of Lazada. The plastic garden tee that you can get at Citi doesn't work.

What you say is a possibility, but the machine did work for like 2 years without a problem. But at this point, I am open to try anything. I am going to try GBT62's suggestion first. If that don't work, I will "t" off the hot and cold. And if that don't work, I will buy a new solenoid valve.

If none of that works, I will have to use my old washer.... my mother-in-law... just kidding.

Bama
55 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

Perhaps not practical to deal with---perhaps you are renting but I wouldn't put up with the hard mineral water mess at my house if at all possible.Is there no type of water filtering system that could be installed ???

A friend of mine lives in Cape Coral, FL where the water can rot plumbing fixtures off the wall in no time.They use some outdoor type of filtering system that seems to help quite a bit. 

Edited by Bama

HeyMike

As for myself, I am sure a water filtering system would work, but we have been dealing with this for over 10 years. Someday I will invest in the system. You are right about the fixtures rotting away... especially the cheap chinese garbage.