Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Front Vs. Top Load Washer

SkyMan

Still trying to decide on a washing machine to buy. Seems like Samsung is the favorite.  I was considering a w/d combo but the dryer part would only be for the rare emergency and I think in that case we could just use the iron so the added cost isn't justified. Anyway, are there any pros/cons to front load or top load? Does one use less water or soap?  Does one clean better? Last longer?  Quieter? Faster?

Looking for answers from those with more extensive experience with both.  Salamat 

lin

Well we've had both types.  Currently we have a Samsung front loader.  Best machine we've ever had.  Utterly reliable never had a hiccup in five years.  Top loaders tend to tie the load in knots, even the so-called high efficiency washers tend to do that. The front loader tumbles them in a "sloshing" action, the clothes come out untangled.  The wife says the clothes last longer because the seams aren't stressed by being tangled. 

• Like 5

SkyMan

And is there something I can do with the old Whirlpool besides junk yard? 

Woolf
HeyMike
6 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

And is there something I can do with the old Whirlpool besides junk yard? 

Ha, I have an old Whirlpool top loader and the water will not enter the machine. Where the hose connects to the machine is the problem, I think. There are 2 inlets, 1 hot, 1 cold. I have to put the water in manually into the tub. Everything else works, it just will not load the water.  (The wire screen is clean).

If you break the old washer up for parts, I would be interested in buying the water inlet unit. I don't know what it is called.

PS: My Whirlpool broke down after 2 years.

Salty Dog

My Kenmore is built by LG...

prod_12126204312.jpg

Woolf
HeyMike

Thanks Woolf. Yes, that is the part I believe to be the problem. Water solenoid valve, I will remember that.

Salty Dog

I hads mine open today to change out the door boot.

I didn't realize it had shock absorbers..

51Ao4E-dGOL._SX425_.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

liquido
1 hour ago, lin said:

Well we've had both types.  Currently we have a Samsung front loader.  Best machine we've ever had.  Utterly reliable never had a hiccup in five years.  Top loaders tend to tie the load in knots, even the so-called high efficiency washers tend to do that. The front loader tumbles them in a "sloshing" action, the clothes come out untangled.  The wife says the clothes last longer because the seams aren't stressed by being tangled. 

My sister in the USA has a Samsung front loader also...She says the samething..Uses alot less water..All Hi Tech

• Like 3

TimL

Front loader is definitely the ticket. Much gentler on your clothing.  

• Like 3

SkyMan
3 hours ago, HeyMike said:

Thanks Woolf. Yes, that is the part I believe to be the problem. Water solenoid valve, I will remember that.

If you want to come  remove it you're welcome.  I don't know how many varieties there are. Mine's about 10yo.

lamoe
4 hours ago, HeyMike said:

Ha, I have an old Whirlpool top loader and the water will not enter the machine. Where the hose connects to the machine is the problem, I think. There are 2 inlets, 1 hot, 1 cold. I have to put the water in manually into the tub. Everything else works, it just will not load the water.  (The wire screen is clean).

If you break the old washer up for parts, I would be interested in buying the water inlet unit. I don't know what it is called.

PS: My Whirlpool broke down after 2 years.

Valve does not have to be in machine - can be in line to it with extended wires if replacement does not fit same space- would need to splice interior hose

If repair shop near take old one and get a generic

https://www.lazada.com.ph/catalog/?q=water+solenoid+valve&_keyori=ss&from=input&spm=a2o4l.home.search.go.239e6ef0YXiEuu

Edited by lamoe
  • Thanks 1

Jack Rat
4 hours ago, lin said:

I have a Samsung top loader 6.5kg. I purchased it for around 11000 pesos 7 or 8 years ago,  it has never missed a beat and it is used daily. Lately I have been thinking it might be about time to replace it. Maybe a Samsung front loader is the way to go.

• Like 1