Mahogany Wood Chips & Shavings

Enuff

My wife works for a furniture company and daily they have a supply of mahogany wood chips and or shavings leftover.

I'm trying to consider uses:

1. Mulch for Gardens

2. Livestock Bedding

3. Smoking Meat

4. Enrich Garden Soil

5. Absorbable walkway

Anyone have any other suggestions?

1d4a51569e6918c951d67e89c2bf73a3.jpg5b9b843e2b825a9099d4f23b8116cd30.jpg

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

I would experiment in a small area of plants if using for mulch.  I noticed some of my plants do not like oak sawdust for mulch. 

No idea on bedding, but wood chips make great paths. 

to_dave007

I use sawdust and shavings to enrich soil..  we just mix it in..  

Headshot

A lot of tropical trees have toxins in them. Some poison the soil around them others produce toxins when burned. For instance the wood of mango trees produces toxins in the smoke when burned. I would be very leery of using wood from any tropical tree for either mulch or for smoking meat unless you find out for sure it is safe first.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Headshot said:

A lot of tropical trees have toxins in them. Some poison the soil around them others produce toxins when burned. For instance the wood of mango trees produces toxins in the smoke when burned. I would be very leery of using wood from any tropical tree for either mulch or for smoking meat unless you find out for sure it is safe first.

This is very good advice.  Unfortunately, most people will not investigate before using.  If mahogany does let off toxins, then a lot of Filipinos are exposing themselves to damage.

Headshot

The other problem is that a lot of what is called mahogany in the Philippines is actually other species of trees. Most people don't really know or care as long as it looks like mahogany (and a little bit of stain works wonders).

The other problem is that a lot of what is called mahogany in the Philippines is actually other species of trees. Most people don't really know or care as long as it looks like mahogany (and a little bit of stain works wonders).
It's from a furniture manufacturer, good chance they know mahogany

Headshot

Look up lauan. It is called Philippine mahogany, but it isn't actually a mahogany. Most true mahogany in the Philippines was logged long ago. I'm not even sure if it is still legal to log true mahogany anymore.

https://www.wood-database.com/lauan/

• Like 1

We have had about 200 sacks of these shavings dumped in some of our borders.. No evidence of poisoning..Stuff still grows.

• Like 3

Mahogany is a tree from the americas. Maybe the PI had some, but most of what is called Mahogany here is something entirely different. Probably called mahogany because that name gets a better price.

Mango wood, and the skins of the fruit, contain the same irritant as the west’s poison ivy/oak/sumac. Can be dangerous to touch or burn for some people. Harmless to other plants so okay for mulch except perhaps on a playground or footpath.

Took the filipina wifey to my country place in California. Plenty poison oak there. She is apparently tolerates it just fine. No reaction. Perhaps from a childhood intimate with the mango trees and fruit everywhere here.

We can end the discussion on the type of wood, it's mahogany not luaun, birch, beech, redwood, oak or anything else. They manufacture doors and cabinets. They import their wood. Please back on topic for uses for mahogany chips/shavings

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wood1.jpg

4 hours ago, Enuff said:

Please back on topic for uses for mahogany chips/shavings

• Like 2