ThomasR

Shipping Container Home

Headshot
34 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I'm not confident that it would withstand typhoon/tropical storm force winds. I'm betting that puppy would get blown away.

Doesn't look very secure either. A guy with some sort of pry tool could get past those sliding glass doors in a New York Minute. I would put a good fence around it.

The Anika Beach Resort on Bantayan took a direct hit from class 5 Yolanda, and it came through just fine (they had some trees damaged). I think how container homes come through a serious typhoon is more dependent on how well they are anchored than anything else. The shipping containers themselves can withstand just about anything as long as they are firmly anchored to the ground (and roofs must be firmly anchored to the container).

Provided adequate anchoring is provided, roll-up slat doors over any doors or windows would pretty much make the home impervious to any storm, and it would make it pretty bomb-proof from a home security perspective as well. I'm not sure how a conventional home could be made more secure.

Personally, I can't see myself living in a single-wide container, but maybe three or four containers joined side-by-side might work. That would give you an area of 24' x 40' or 36' x 40' to work with. It would certainly allow you a lot more latitude with the interior design. Welding containers together side-by-side using I-beam or flat bar reinforcement seems to be pretty commonplace.

Kabisay-an gid
9 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The Anika Beach Resort on Bantayan took a direct hit from class 5 Yolanda, and it came through just fine (they had some trees damaged). I think how container homes come through a serious typhoon is more dependent on how well they are anchored than anything else. The shipping containers themselves can withstand just about anything as long as they are firmly anchored to the ground (and roofs must be firmly anchored to the container).

Provided adequate anchoring is provided, roll-up slat doors over any doors or windows would pretty much make the home impervious to any storm, and it would make it pretty bomb-proof from a home security perspective as well. I'm not sure how a conventional home could be made more secure.

Personally, I can't see myself living in a single-wide container, but maybe three or four containers joined side-by-side might work. That would give you an area of 24' x 40' or 36' x 40' to work with. It would certainly allow you a lot more latitude with the interior design. Welding containers together side-by-side using I-beam or flat bar reinforcement seems to be pretty commonplace.

I was talking about the one in the OP photo, not container homes in general. I already mentioned the importance of proper anchoring in one of my earlier posts, so see no need to rehash that.

A single container wouldn't be big enough to really be livable, so the three or four containers you mentioned would be about right, but then you're talking about a good bit of money.

Kyoob was selling a pretty basic two container model for about 1 million PHP five years ago, so a three or four container model in 2019 would be considerably more than that.

Add those rolling security doors you were talking about, and you're getting to a pretty high price point. 

You could come out cheaper buying a budget/economy condo.

If container homes are such a good deal, you would think at least a few people here on LinC would actually own one. 

However, in my years on LinC, I have yet to find even one member who actually owns a container home.

IMHO, the shortcomings outweigh the advantages.

My two centavos, YMMV.

• Like 1

jtmwatchbiz
18 hours ago, ThomasR said:

I'm thinking about shipping container home. It's earthquake-proof and fireproof. What do you think?

i love them. 

7 hours ago, fivestarph said:

There is a newish Japanese restaurant in Saturnino Road on the way to Maria luisa which comprises two containers one atop the other.

there are a couple commercial enterprises right here in capitol located in nicely done up containers.  one is a fairly popular bar/resto.

2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Doesn't look very secure either. A guy with some sort of pry tool could get past those sliding glass doors in a New York Minute. I would put a good fence around it.

no different than any single family building with sliding glass doors.   our concrete home with sliding glass doors is protected by a wall and gate. 

• Like 1

ThomasR

Shipping Container Home in Sweden.

Beautiful+4x40+ft+Shipping+Container+Hou

source