ThomasR

Shipping Container Home

ThomasR

I'm thinking about shipping container home. It's earthquake-proof and fireproof. What do you think?

Simple+shipping+container+home+made+of+t

source

• Like 1

Headshot

I know there have been several topics on container homes, but here are a couple.

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/80727-innovative-home-designs/?tab=comments#comment-993386

https://www.livingincebuforums.com/topic/107190-shipping-container-homes/?tab=comments#comment-1440564

I see you commented in one of those topics, so I know you've seen them. There are lots of cool plans for container homes out there. One thing though, if you want the home to be somewhat insulated, then finishing a container home will likely be as labor intensive as building a new home using conventional materials. They can be quite nice though. I stayed at the Anika Beach Resort on Bantayan Island back in 2013, and all of the rooms were built using shipping containers. It appears they have survived the years since then (including getting hit by Yolanda).

https://anikaislandresort.com/

Kabisay-an gid

Container homes have been discussed several times over the years here at LinC, but I don't recall anybody who actually owned one.

I believe the expat who owned Kyoob Inc. in Mandaue died, and I don't believe he ever really got the business "off the ground" before he passed on.

Does anybody here at LinC actually own one, or know somebody in the Philippines who does?

There are drawbacks - most of the manufacturers build with used containers, as brand new containers are quite expensive.

If there's any rust on the container they use, the container can deteriorate over time.

Drilling holes in the container for pipes and wiring can adversely affect structural integrity.

You have to make sure it's insulated properly, or you'll get "cooked" by the Philippine tropical heat.

And it sure better be anchored properly, or typhoon/tropical storm force winds will blow you away.

fivestarph

There is a newish Japanese restaurant in Saturnino Road on the way to Maria luisa which comprises two containers one atop the other.

I have dined there a few times and the work done is quite impressive, I will take a couple of photos when I pass by later today.

Edited by fivestarph
  • Like 2

Davaoeno

There is now a Japanese restaurant in Davao built out of containers.

And last month I met a woman here who  is a builder and she told me she just built a small hotel here for someone out of containers.  I asked if she used used or new containers and she said new. She said she bought them in Manila.  Apparently the extra 50K a container is worth it to avoid the rust and any structural defects in the used ones. 

• Like 1

lamoe
11 hours ago, Headshot said:

. They can be quite nice though. I stayed at the Anika Beach Resort on Bantayan Island back in 2013, and all of the rooms were built using shipping containers. It appears they have survived the years since then (including getting hit by Yolanda).

We stayed last year - still in fine shape - good maintenance

Day trip to check them out might be in order

Edit: Just saw London - day trip might not be advisable - wait till you get here :db:

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

lamoe

She's not included - get your own

Didn't take pics of outside of others

Windows only on one side

Only allowed 1.95 meg per post

Notice the huge awnings

Door is to CR for size of this unit reference

Actually a great bachelor pad

20170915_110455.jpg

20170915_110053.jpg

20170915_110048.jpg

Edited by lamoe

Headshot
2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Drilling holes in the container for pipes and wiring can adversely affect structural integrity.

The containers are built to hold up to six other fully loaded containers on top of them, but the main structure is in the corners (not the walls). I have seen containers with an entire sidewall removed (and still with structural integrity), but I think the prudent man would use some steel reinforcement above the wall to make sure. In any event, if only the high containers (9 feet tall inside) are used, then all wires and pipes can run between the top and the suspended ceiling, and the only wires and other utilities in the walls will be running vertically with the corrugations.

However, it would be a pretty unsatisfactory house that didn't have any windows and doors cut into the sides. It would depend on the size of the holes whether they would require any additional reinforcement. Certainly, holes cut for wires or pipes would have no structural effect at all.

2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

You have to make sure it's insulated properly, or you'll get "cooked" by the Philippine tropical heat.

A steel box without proper insulation would be hell.

53 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

Apparently the extra 50K a container is worth it to avoid the rust and any structural defects in the used ones. 

Most avoid the used containers, not because of structural integrity, but because you have no idea what may have been in them before you buy. A single chemical leak inside a used container could cause all kinds of health issues down the road for anybody using the container as a house.

• Like 1

Kreole
31 minutes ago, Headshot said:

The containers are built to hold up to six other fully loaded containers on top of them, but the main structure is in the corners (not the walls). I have seen containers with an entire sidewall removed (and still with structural integrity), but I think the prudent man would use some steel reinforcement above the wall to make sure. In any event, if only the high containers (9 feet tall inside) are used, then all wires and pipes can run between the top and the suspended ceiling, and the only wires and other utilities in the walls will be running vertically with the corrugations.

However, it would be a pretty unsatisfactory house that didn't have any windows and doors cut into the sides. It would depend on the size of the holes whether they would require any additional reinforcement. Certainly, holes cut for wires or pipes would have no structural effect at all.

A steel box without proper insulation would be hell.

Most avoid the used containers, not because of structural integrity, but because you have no idea what may have been in them before you buy. A single chemical leak inside a used container could cause all kinds of health issues down the road for anybody using the container as a house.

Excellent advice, unless there is some way to guarantee the the container was used for a specific non hazardous product.

Headshot
21 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Excellent advice, unless there is some way to guarantee the the container was used for a specific non hazardous product.

There isn't any way to trace the previous loads from a single container. That is why most use new containers or at least containers that were only used once (since it is possible to determine the last load).

Kabisay-an gid
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

Most avoid the used containers

I've heard and read just the opposite, most manufacturers in the Philippines prefer used for an obvious reason -  new containers can cost up to three times as much, which cuts into profits big time. So most manufacturers look for rust-free used containers.

Plus used containers can be purchased locally in the Philippines and delivered quickly, whereas new ones that come from places like China and the USA take considerably longer to get here, and incur significantly greater delivery charges - hiking the price of new containers even more.

Properly done plumbing and wiring holes will not affect structural integrity, but you need to make sure you use a qualified and experienced manufacturer of container homes, because improper drilling/cutting can indeed cause problems.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid

Headshot
12 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I've heard and read just the opposite, most manufacturers in the Philippines prefer used for an obvious reason -  new containers can cost up to three times as much, which cuts into profits big time. So most manufacturers look for rust-free used containers.

Plus used containers can be purchased locally in the Philippines and delivered quickly, whereas new ones that come from places like China and the USA take considerably longer to get there, and incur significantly greater delivery charges - hiking the price of new containers even more.

Properly done plumbing and wiring holes will not affect structural integrity, but you need to make sure you use a qualified and experienced manufacturer of container homes, because improper drilling/cutting can indeed cause problems.

Well, honestly, single-load containers are like new, since you can determine what they had in them for a single load. However, containers that have carried multiple loads are considerably more risky.

• Like 1

to_dave007

There is building project..  right now...  commercial I think..  with 2 or 3 shipping containers..  on the road from JY Mall up to Marco Polo hotel on north side of road.

Kabisay-an gid
16 hours ago, ThomasR said:

I'm thinking about shipping container home. It's earthquake-proof and fireproof. What do you think?

Simple+shipping+container+home+made+of+t

source

I'm not confident that it would withstand typhoon/tropical storm force winds. I'm betting that puppy would get blown away.

Doesn't look very secure either. A guy with some sort of pry tool could get past those sliding glass doors in a New York Minute. I would put a good fence around it.