Jump to content

Why Aren't Millennials Spending?


Salty Dog

Recommended Posts

Fair enough..  but my EMT niece and her teacher husband bought a nice suburban 3 BR house in Ottawa, and rented out their basement for the first few years to a friend of theirs to help pay the mortgage.  Now..  10+ years later the room mate is gone..  and 3 kids fill the house..  and the mortgage no longer stretches their finances.
I won't talk about employment opportunities for the over 50 set..  as I know those opportunities are scarce.  It's one of the reasons I am in the PI.
No question about it though..  todays millennials face an employment market that is very different than the one we had in the 70's.  My point is that, despite the differences, there are STILL opportunities for those willing to put in the effort.  There are STILL millennials who build a successful livelihood and life.  Hard work STILL has value.  The dream still exists..  even in Canada.
Didn't say it was easy.  Just said it was still possible.
Yes, from all I hear, certain labor (especially government sector) is pretty good in Canada. As another poster pointed out too.

Sure, there will always be success stories, but I think what the numbers are telling us, is that many are falling behind, and things are much more difficult in the labor market now.

Some will just say it's the younger generations fault, but I don't think human beings change all that much in just one generation. Industries and labor markets, on the other hand, now that's a different story.
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • lamoe

    6

  • to_dave007

    5

  • savarity

    4

  • Salty Dog

    3

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After high school, 1962, applied for a job as a tool makers apprentice. The guy said I can't hire you as you haven't completed your military service.  !967 after serving 4 years I went back to that sa

I'm blatantly biased because I am proud of my kids.  I believe that opportunity exists for those willing to work for them. My 35 year old daughter is an architect..  with a free Masters degree co

You divide the world into WORKING CLASS and HIGHLY EDUCATED AND AMBITIOUS and you seem to suggest working class folks have nothing to aspire to. My brother.. the father of my millennial EMT niece

Z's

59 minutes ago, savarity said:


Some will just say it's the younger generations fault, but I don't think human beings change all that much in just one generation. Industries and labor markets, on the other hand, now that's a different story.

Not saying it's their fault either - in a way

Look at various recent generations and will see that humans change the fastest of all

Loosely the Greatest (WWII) gen begat the peacenicks (Boomers - Viet Nam)  who begat the Yuppies / DINKS who begat the Millennial who begat the Zs (present day entitled ANTIFA)

Left some distinctions out.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Fair enough..  but my EMT niece and her teacher husband bought a nice suburban 3 BR house in Ottawa, and rented out their basement for the first few years to a friend of theirs to help pay the mortgage.  Now..  10+ years later the room mate is gone..  and 3 kids fill the house..  and the mortgage no longer stretches their finances.

I won't talk about employment opportunities for the over 50 set..  as I know those opportunities are scarce.  It's one of the reasons I am in the PI.

No question about it though..  todays millennials face an employment market that is very different than the one we had in the 70's.  My point is that, despite the differences, there are STILL opportunities for those willing to put in the effort.  There are STILL millennials who build a successful livelihood and life.  Hard work STILL has value.  The dream still exists..  even in Canada.

Didn't say it was easy.  Just said it was still possible.

That is why my friend moved to Canada, he can do much better there!   He also did an apartment in his basement and is renting it out.  It is a beach town so he is doing very well with it. 

little statistic  25% of millennial's are living at home in the US as they cannot get good jobs or afford housing!

The soaring cost of housing is one reason Canada's young adults are increasingly living at home with their parents.

More than one in three Canadians aged 20 to 34 now live with their parents, Statistics Canada said in a release of 2016 census data on Wednesday, the highest level on record.

 

 

 

Edited by Jester
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites



Z's
Not saying it's their fault either - in a way
Look at various recent generations and will see that humans change the fastest of all
Loosely the Greatest (WWII) gen begat the peacenicks (Boomers - Viet Nam)  who begat the Yuppies / DINKS who begat the Millennial who begat the Zs (present day entitled ANTIFA)
Left some distinctions out.
 


The vast majority of people in each of those years were just average, and didn't fit into the stereotypes about the age. Also, are you calling soldiers who fought in Vietnam, "peacenicks?"
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, savarity said:

The vast majority of people in each of those years were just average, and didn't fit into the stereotypes about the age. Also, are you calling soldiers who fought in Vietnam, "peacenicks?"

Calling myself a Peacenick? Nope 

You're right the vast majority just want to get on with their lives.

Each generation is know by the stereotypes the media chooses to exploit.

Flappers - Greatest -  Silent - Beatniks - Peacenicks - Yuppies - Yippies - Dinks - ANTIFA are just a few
 

Quote

 

https://genhq.com/FAQ-info-about-generations/

8. What are three key trends that shape generations?

The three key trends that shape generations are parenting, technology, and economics. For example, many Baby Boomers have the parenting philosophy, “We want it to be easier for our kids than it was for us.” This philosophy, in turn, helped create and reinforce Millennials’ sense of entitlement, which is now a hotly debated topic.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..