Stay Or Leave The Philippines? Your Thoughts Please. So Confused!

aiden9991

smokey

All reasonable ans. But reminded of a song by the white rapper.   IF I HAD A MILLION DOLLARS 

In arizona my wife has 5 friends from the philippines 3 are there with their new husbands who are richer and younger then their last ones 

Edited by smokey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aiden9991

• smokey

• Bama

• Jester

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

hey wait a minute.  i go to high end men's salons frequently.  oh...shit.   maybe i should have kept that to myself.   how do i edit? 

Google says -- " High End Mens Salon "  - usually a reference to an establishment frequented by gay men .   I wouldnt be worried either ! 

Not necessarily a good idea, IMHO, especially if the husband is quite a bit older than the Filipina asawa. Filipinas who've been living in North America, Europe or Australia for quite some time -

30 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

The problem with these few cases is not who the husband allows his wife to associate with, but his initial choice of a spouse. If you have to "handcuff" your wife to keep her from leaving, then you have more serious problems and they are of your own making.

My wife is not a prisoner and I don't want one!   She has a driver license, car, money in the bank, credit cards etc and knows where the door is.

Her job drives the insecure, jealous, control freaks off the deep end, she is a hair stylist in a high end mens salon and I do not lose one moments sleep over it.   

Choose wisely.     

• Like 8
Davaoeno
16 minutes ago, Jester said:

high end mens salon

Google says -- " High End Mens Salon "  - usually a reference to an establishment frequented by gay men .

I wouldnt be worried either ! :D

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
Tradewindze
22 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

i think your idea and plan is a good one.  i would say keep working on it.  

I agree. The only way you are going to find out if it will work is by trying. It will be good for your kids and your parents. You should know well before 6 months if its the right move. If not, you haven't burned your bridges to Cebu. 

• Like 2

I have a few friends who moved to UK/US once the kids were ready for tertiary education, so you still have time if you want. 

My friends made sure that their kids fulfilled the requirements for their chosen universities overseas and applied early. So if you want this option, make sure that your kids have the proper requirements here (chose which schools in the Philippines, which are accepted by the Universities in the UK. There are plenty of links and information on the web from UK universities).  Your kids should not have problems as they are UK citizens, Also, university is a change for all kids (friends environment etc.), so in any case it will be a change for them and they are (more) prepared for that.

It will give you also time to apply UK citizenship for your wife (I am not familiar with this, but you would know what are the requirements).

One of my friend also stayed in the Philippines, but the kid went on his own to the UK. At this age it is possible as well. Many kids are away from their parents anyway during the university study. 

This will give you more flexibility to stay or move to the UK.

Edited by Cgu

The detailed and elaborate responses so far to my initital post has generated, is very much appreciated.

Everyone possesses a distinguishing point of view and its so fascinating to read all the diversifying comments. Well the flight is booked for Feb 2 and I have decided not to burn my bridges to Cebu as yet. I understand that children do in fact come first but not at the expense of being miserable in the UK. I originally left the UK since i was 21 when i was travelling. It is such a challenge to return to a life in the UK. I like numerous others have quite lost their true identity and just blending back into that British way of life could no longer be appealing. 

Is the British education system really worth it? When it comes with all the social problems such as underage drugs and alcohol, exposure to teenage pregnancy,  usage of profanity yes may sound like im winging but its not as prevalent here in private schools and schools in general. You dont hear kids gping round using foul language like back in the uk. Teachers here do seem to be more caring than the uk. This is one observation my wife and mother madee. Correct me if wrong . Keep the input coming guys open to all sorts of comments and views. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, petecebu said:

@aiden9991

did you eventually work out how to get / transfer your money from the sale of your car, etc to the UK?

Last thing you need when back there is a no cash access headache to kick off with.

Yes figured it out.

I wired the money from my wifes bpi account to the uk. Approx few 4,000 gbp. For some reason bdo didnt allow it with mu peso account. They required i open a usd account with a min bal. Of 10,000 . The rest of it im going to hand carry approx 4,000gbp. I believe I'm legally allowed to carry max  10,000usd.

The rest of it leave it here in the account.

Im sure there are alternatives however i felt the most secure method was bank to bank transfer.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

hey wait a minute.  i go to high end men's salons frequently. 

oh...shit.   maybe i should have kept that to myself.   how do i edit? 

Golly gosh perhaps all my years at the barbers for 50 P are wasted? Mind you there are some sexy barbers out there, probably not game to visit a high end mens salon or divorce might be in the air.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, petecebu said:

Good luck ..where in UK you heading to?

Lancashire

• Like 1
oztony
7 hours ago, bob the builder said:

Dont listen to much to people comparing living expense

The whole conversation was started by the OP to get varying opinions ...pro's and con's ...I believe "living expense" would indeed factor into that scenario here , going back to the UK after a 10 year absence with no trade or professional qualifications after BPO  work in the Philippines (not saying this is the case , but another scenario) could create some very real hardships in regards to getting set up and being in a secure position ...everything is relative here.. own wealth , wealthy supportive family ..ability to secure decent paying work ...

My wife has been in Aus. for nearly 16 years but for the first 2 years all she wanted was to go home , there a lot of adjustments for people to make when deciding to live/move their family to another country ...for a guy moving to the Philippines to be with his wife/partner is relatively easy .................compared to the other way around , unless they are able to find a good support base when they arrive ..ie other Filipina's that are grounded and stable , and Kabisay hit the nail on the head with his earlier post as to what can go wrong ....

5 hours ago, aiden9991 said:

I understand that children do in fact come first but not at the expense of being miserable in the UK.

I rest my case.............

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
43 minutes ago, petecebu said:

ee lad, well a go foot of our stairs..lol...

know it well 

What part?  

Rishton haha

bob the builder

Oz tony i was giving my opinion that living expencesin uk are not massivly different to here, i spend about a 1000 quid a month here when in the uk costs about 1300 quid a month here my income is zero uk 6000 a month not complicated to figure out even for an australian is it.

oztony
5 hours ago, bob the builder said:

Oz tony i was giving my opinion that living expencesin uk are not massivly different to here, i spend about a 1000 quid a month here when in the uk costs about 1300 quid a month here my income is zero uk 6000 a month

This is your circumstances , there could be a great deal of difference to some one else's particular circumstances , I am not disputing your figures in regards to your circumstances..

6 hours ago, bob the builder said:

not complicated to figure out even for an australian is it.

Ah , OK , do you really think that was necessary ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Ozepete
1 hour ago, oztony said:

This is your circumstances , there could be a great deal of difference to some one else's particular circumstances , I am not disputing your figures in regards to your circumstances..

Ah , OK , do you really think that was necessary ? 

Better tell Bob that many very smart Poms have come to Australia, and the smarter they are the sooner they came!  :as-if:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4