aiden9991

Stay Or Leave The Philippines? Your Thoughts Please. So Confused!

Panserhansen

I took the wife and kids to Norway a few years ago after consulting with the wife and we don't regret one bit. Filipinas have no problems adopting to cold weather or a different culture. She has started her own company as well and we have both plenty of work.

All the kids speak Norwegian fluently now, and are well integrated in the society, both school, friends and sports/activities.

I wouldn't mind retiring in the Philippines, but as for now I don't miss the Philippines at all. I enjoy that things work as they should, internet is never down, groceries never out of stock, electricity is always there, but most of all the safety of knowing that all of us will be admitted at any hospital with no cost at all.

• Like 4

Jester
1 hour ago, Panserhansen said:

I took the wife and kids to Norway a few years ago after consulting with the wife and we don't regret one bit. Filipinas have no problems adopting to cold weather or a different culture. She has started her own company as well and we have both plenty of work.

All the kids speak Norwegian fluently now, and are well integrated in the society, both school, friends and sports/activities.

I wouldn't mind retiring in the Philippines, but as for now I don't miss the Philippines at all. I enjoy that things work as they should, internet is never down, groceries never out of stock, electricity is always there, but most of all the safety of knowing that all of us will be admitted at any hospital with no cost at all.

It's me,  I could not adapt to the cold weather:oldtimer:

• Like 4

Province-life

pretty certain you'd be better off financially in the UK even if you earned the same money (expect you'd earn more too), free hospital,school and lower tax would more than make up for the Philippines being a little cheaper in general.
Other factors are up to you to decide.

Cgu
19 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

Presumably there are some schools in the Phils with Western standards of education?

Up to secondary school yes, but employers are only interested in your university degree. So university matters. Any western university degree beats a Philippines university degree for employment. If it is only to secure the kids future make sure they will go a university in the UK.

• Like 1

trthebees
On 12/15/2018 at 10:00 AM, Cgu said:

Up to secondary school yes, but employers are only interested in your university degree. So university matters. Any western university degree beats a Philippines university degree for employment. If it is only to secure the kids future make sure they will go a university in the UK.

Agreed. And I feel for poorer Philippine families who have made real financial sacrifices to  send their children to any university. But it does appear from my experience with my wife's family here that some college entrance requirements are less demanding of school academic achievements than in the West [ a bit all-encompassing the description "the West", as I don't know about the USA].

However, here is a fact. I worked in Saudi and was involved in recruitment for the company's engineering department. The Saudi HR head had a very restricted list of universities from which degrees would be acceptable at face value from the Philippines and India, our main sources of staff. Also Pakistan, Egypt and other countries, though our recruitment was less from these. If an applicant's qualification was from a less recognised university, their CV had to be stronger in relation to real experience, work "stickability" and maybe achievement. And this was just to get them selected for interviewing from 100's of applicants when HR visited the Philippines looking for electricians, technicians, QC staff, production supervisors etc.

I regret any snob factor of this, but any recruitment from "The West" accepted the value of qualifications that were presented, leaving a level playing field for the assessment of the applicant's other abilities.

• Like 1

Oz Jon
On 12/16/2018 at 2:25 PM, trthebees said:

...... The Saudi HR head had a very restricted list of universities from which degrees would be acceptable at face value from the Philippines .......

That doesn't surprise me.

I noted (a few years back) that Australia recognised degrees (and other tertiary  qualifications)  from very few Phil Universities/Professional Bodies as acceptable for it's skilled immigration intake.

My own experience ( in a sample of one !) was that one locally well regarded university had produced an Engineering  Graduate (who i knew and had supported) with knowledge well short of what is expected from an Australian BE.

I suspect that this was not a unique case.

Bama
On 12/16/2018 at 11:25 AM, trthebees said:

The Saudi HR head had a very restricted list of universities from which degrees would be acceptable at face value from the Philippines and India, our main sources of staff.

Would you be so kind as to share the list of PI universities whose degrees were accepted by SA ?

3 hours ago, Oz Jon said:

My own experience ( in a sample of one !) was that one locally well regarded university had produced an Engineering  Graduate (who i knew and had supported) with knowledge well short of what is expected from an Australian BE.

This is one of my greatest concerns with the nieces we are putting through school here in the PI---that academically they won't measure up and if they seek work out of the country their opportunities will be limited or non existent. 

smokey

We have one with mechanical and civil engineering from san carlos not good.enough for us and a.nurse.also she took nilex test to see if.she.could.work us but passed.only 3 of.the 6 sectionn

sunnybanana1913

You could try living in UK with your family for a few years save some cash and move back if they dont get adjusted or dont like it. 

sunnybanana1913
On 12/7/2018 at 7:45 PM, Jester said:

From what I see the bulk of the Philippinas and kids  that come to the US seem to adapt very well and most of them would not return to the PI's

Also in our circle most of the wives work and contribute to the household income, some help with the husbands business. 

Most of the   Filipinos that Mved recently to USA  at my workplace in California miss Philippines all the time and wish they could move back. 

• Like 1

smokey
9 hours ago, sunnybanana1913 said:

Most of the   Filipinos that Mved recently to USA  at my workplace in California miss Philippines all the time and wish they could move back. 

Maybe they hate california? My wife refuses to come back till they fix the traffic problems

• Haha 1

Jester
9 hours ago, sunnybanana1913 said:

Most of the   Filipinos that Moved recently to USA  at my workplace in California miss Philippines all the time and wish they could move back. 

That is interesting, different perspectives, different people.   What I have noticed is that the ladies that become single, from death or divorce stay here in the US. Usually  kids are involved.  While I am sure they miss the PI's most do not go when they have the opportunity.

That is just what I see in my limited circle.  Of course if I lived in CA I might want to move to the PI's also :thats-funny:

• Thanks 2

Cgu
4 hours ago, smokey said:

Maybe they hate california? My wife refuses to come back till they fix the traffic problems

So never...

• Haha 1

TequilaSunset

Not much to add really, just to say this was a pretty good read for 6 pages... Okay, I will add one thing... Fek Cali! :P 

smokey
7 hours ago, Cgu said:

So never...

Last time here was 6 weeks after 2 weeks she said maybe i go back early its too much hassel to be here traffic is stupid