aiden9991

Stay Or Leave The Philippines? Your Thoughts Please. So Confused!

trthebees

My tuppence worth.

Having a reasonable life in the UK is going to depend on your personal work skills. The gov minimum for visa purposes of 18600 won't give much of a life after tax if you have to rent, get a car, pay fuel bills, council tax etc. [Although used decent cars are very cheap, my Golf was £500, nothing like the Phils prices, 1K should be OK plus 600 insurance as you've been away and 250 road tax].  And work availability is going to depend on what part of the country you'd go to. What with rent deposits, letting agent fees etc, extra clothes, so many other things I reckon you need to go with 5 or 6K for initial expenses. 

Even if you live with family to start with, your wife may prefer her own place. And cooking food more to her taste than just joining in with your UK family all the time for 6 months.

If your wife stays for the whole 6 months, your going to have to time the visitors visa application for fairly close to travel time cos they date the 6 months from when they issue it. I have had it in the past that they've given 6 months from the planned travel date, but lately it's been from date of issue. I guess you could try to ask. Oh, and go to VHS Cebu first before applying. In Jan this year we applied on line, as you do, and after huge confusion found that the UK gov site puts you into the new system used by Manila. Cebu still used the old Visa4UK system. So we had to go to Manila to file the papers. Incredible, I think they're franchises, so check with Cebu before applying.

For some 10 years now my wife has come back with me on a visitors visa. Initially...some 20 years ago...gawd that long!...she came with a permanent visa and could work, and stayed for some years. Although if I sensed her phone calls home were costing more more, and suggested she visit back to the Phils she would be packing the next day. So expect that if you stayed permanently. 

It's great that you're working in the Phils. Into retirement now, but If i could have found work [engineering] I'd have been more settled. Even with a 13a, engineering is a reserved occupation. And we are based in the far province. Only you know how secure your job is there, but these days that seems to apply anywhere. Probably easier to pick up something in the UK if unemployed, depending on where you live than it would be for a UK citizen in the Phils.

The UK pension is well worth getting back into. Even at 37, you really do have to lay some plans for retirement. If you get back in the UK system, maybe it's possible to buy the missing years. 

The NHS is obviously good. Certainly for emergencies.

Education in the Phils has been well covered on LinC by others with much more knowledge than me. in the UK, from my grandsons who live near me when I'm here in splendid Somerset, I can see that the schools and the system does encourage them individually very well to develop and gain knowledge and, from 16 to 18, further academic qualifications or vocational training. A committed child can do well anywhere, but I just feel that the UK system does benefit the average pupil.

If it was me, I'd give it a go for the 6 month visit. See if you can get your children in a school for a term. See how much you miss the Phils, though for your wife, as she can't officially work on a visitors visa to keep fully occupied and feel part of the broader community, there's more chance she'll be thinking of the Phils.

You're at a good time of the year to start planning because say April is the best time to visit with early spring heading into summer. And those lovely late evenings. 

I'm back to Cebu next week, I tend to bounce backwards and forwards but I am retired with no children to organise now.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

savarity

You should go back if you can earn more there.

Enuff

Let's face it, social security ain't gonna happen so don't put any eggs in that basket. I'm 49 and by the time I get to retirement age, might be 70 by then, it won't be shit.

Is life cheaper in the Philippines vs. UK or USA, most definitely.

Are there good schools available, absolutely. Some are even free. All of my family has graduated from public schools and ever family member was either validictorian or something with honors. Not because they are smart but because they are forced to work hard, very hard. Their Lola takes no shit from them and it shows in their education.

Income is based on many things. If in UK or USA I could make 6 figures and have tons of bills to match. Freeze my ass off half the year and work nonstop. Wife can do the same. Here wife works too, 6 days a week, 9 hours a day but works with 2 family members and make an absolute killing selling lunches prepared by her parents at home. She makes enough that we eat for almost free. We are s compound of 9 and it costs us about p80 a day for food. As far as utilities go that runs about p10k monthly. So our total costs for 9, including transport is well under p30k monthly. With 5 of the 9 have full time jobs, it's not an issue.

I know I'm not going back!

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Jester

From what I see the bulk of the Philippinas and kids  that come to the US seem to adapt very well and most of them would not return to the PI's

Also in our circle most of the wives work and contribute to the household income, some help with the husbands business. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

Aiden, you don't say what school you send your children to, but CIE in Mandaue is the probably equal of any school in Britain, and is based on the British curriculum. Since you live on Mactan now, that would be an option for your kids (provided you can afford the tuition). You might ask them about their track record for placing their graduating students into top-rank schools. I don't know how CIE has done, but the International School of Manila placed 13 students in Ivy League schools in the US this year (some of them on full scholarships). That is a better result than any secondary school I know of inside the US. CIE might have similar results with top British schools. It is certainly worth checking out.

Of course, that does nothing to mitigate the diseases present here that could destroy a future overnight, but kids living in good neighborhoods and going to upper echelon schools are much less likely to come into contact with those diseases than kids going to run-of-the mill schools and living in poor neighborhoods. Most tropical diseases are preventable, some by vaccine and some by avoidance.

As far as your work situation, only you can determine what is best for you. Are you happy in your present situation, or are you ready for a change?

Bama
50 minutes ago, Enuff said:

Let's face it, social security ain't gonna happen so don't put any eggs in that basket. I'm 49 and by the time I get to retirement age, might be 70 by then, it won't be shit.

I have heard this sentiment about SS (US) not being there when its time to retire for way over 40 years-----yet its still here. I expect it to be around in one form or another 40 years from now.

Whatever the case, if you are going to work and not contribute to SS then you need to make your own retirement.Most people don't have the discipline to do this---the years slip by and next thing you know you have worked your last job and you are broke. Early investment in diversified IRAs can be the key here. Invest as much as you can stand and then stay out of it until you have reached minimum disbursement age.It takes discipline and a certain amount of guts to stay in the market long term as it goes through its normal ups and down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
5 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

Also, your kids may have a hard time adapting to schools as they are likely to be behind kids of the same age.

A friend of mine took his 8yo daughter back to the US and she caught up pretty fast.  I think they did some night school tutoring for a while to bet her on track.  School took care of it.  But if this is a concern I can imagine the sooner the better would be a good idea.

You need to talk to them about it for sure because if they aren't on board, it won't work.  But I wouldn't put too much into it if they're "all for it" either.  Their only basis of knowledge is from peer's hearsay and what they've seen on TV and what you've told them.  It's like when a newbie wants to move here and we always advise them to come for long visits first.  At least a few months at a time.  Coming here for a couple weeks in vacation mode paints a very wrong picture.  They may be all excited about moving to the UK without knowing how their lives will be completely changed.  They will have home sickness when the realities set in and you'll have to decide if you want to ride it out or abort.

Ultimately, you have to make the decision but realize that you may have to reverse that decision at some point.

• Like 1

Headshot

Whether an education in the Philippines is up to par with an education in the US or in the UK is totally dependent on which school you put your children in. The education a child receives in the best schools here (CIS, CIE and SHS Ateneo de Cebu) is equal to just about any public (or regular private) school you will find in the West. Granted, the education children receive in public schools here sucks (with the exception of the National Science High Schools). Most of the small to medium-sized private schools here don't offer a really great education either. But there are some very good schools here too. What education your child receives depends largely on what school you put them in. Parents need to do their homework too (in finding the right school).

• Like 1

smokey

You know what i see is many 55 plus guys most if not all with outside income reality is money you need it when your 65 the kids think of their future unless you own the call center and make 50.000 us a year then stay if not get moving the philippines is not going anywhere. Sure lots of good schools here but 2 kids will cost you an easy 8 thousand us a year or more if your job fades what is your back up plan your asking old guys who most of us retired military and struggle by on 40.000 plus a year shee some of the guys telling you to stay might be 50 60.000 a year you need more income so you can retire some day

Edited by smokey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

smokey
46 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Whether an education in the Philippines is up to par with an education in the US or in the UK is totally dependent on which school you put your children in. The education a child receives in the best schools here (CIS, CIE and SHS Ateneo de Cebu) is equal to just about any public (or regular private) school you will find in the West. Granted, the education children receive in public schools here sucks (with the exception of the National Science High Schools). Most of the small to medium-sized private schools here don't offer a really great education either. But there are some very good schools here too. What education your child receives depends largely on what school you put them in. Parents need to do their homework too (in finding the right school).

I agree but bottom line is money how much will it cost him per child per year

• Like 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, smokey said:

I agree but bottom line is money how much will it cost him per child per year

Understood, and that certainly has to be part of the equation. And, of course, sending a child to the best schools and giving them the opportunity for a great education will NOT guarantee that the child will do the work necessary to turn the opportunity into a real advantage. As you well know, there are some (well-connected) kids in the best schools who think that just attending the school (to make lifelong friendships and contacts) is enough, whereas in reality for most students, attendance is only half of it. To get accepted into the best universities around the world, students must have a record of top performance in those upper echelon schools here in the Philippines. Not all children will take full advantage of the opportunities they are given.

Educating a child is always a risk, but it sounds like Aiden is willing to risk moving his family halfway around the world to give his children the opportunity of a good education. My point was that it might be cheaper (even with high tuition) to simply put them in the best schools here rather than uprooting them. It is at least worth looking into. The most expensive private school in the Cebu metro area is still between five and six thousand dollars US per year. You would be hard pressed to find any decent private school in our home countries that could match that low price. It would be even more difficult to find a school in the home country (for the same price) that would give the children such a leg up toward getting into a top tier university.

JohnSurrey
13 hours ago, aiden9991 said:

Admins, sorry didn't quite know where to put this , you may move it if you wish.

Hello 

I am in a super confused state right now and feel the need to vent it all out and receive some input from you more experienced gentlemen.

Firstly some background details.
Myself a British man 37 years old, married, 2 beautiful kids and been living in Cebu (Mactan/Dumanjug) for 10 years.

I really don't know what is the best option, should i continue living in the PH or if you were in my shoes what would you do?

Fellow Brit with the same dilemma - always at the back of your mind isn't it.

I'm older than you and still got a place in the UK which we could switch to... my children are 4 and 6 and the local schools here are not up to much... we have one left to try but it's a bit of a hike for them at the moment.

My own plan is to wait until I'm closer to 66 and eligible for the UK pension - I put away money to buy the missing years each month. 

I don't know what the right answer for you or me is.

I guess the (current) reason I'm thinking we'll try it when I turn 66 is because:

1) I know as I get older I'm more likely to have health problems... and no decent insurance plan might mean I'm then forced to sell my property in the UK and go back there anyway but in a far worse financial state.

2) My children's English/General Education/Behavioural standards will deteriorate (like mine) and that will probably make it harder for them later if they want to study further (in the UK)

3) I'm not sure I'll ever be able to afford the better schools here unless I work or start some kind of a business... maybe.

4) The children will be older and my wife should be able to work... not sure how that one will work out :) 

Anyway - having said all that I don't think I really want to go back but if I don't... the children will never have the opportunities I did... doctors/dentists/schools/friends/opportunities...?

One thing you might want to consider (as your in BPO) is the Ireland/Gibraltar/Malta ... option - probably still available even with Brexit.

Let me know if you make you're mind up maybe you can help me!

Kabisay-an gid
10 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

I think that if you do it, an important thing will be for your wife to meet other Filipinas in the area.

Not necessarily a good idea, IMHO, especially if the husband is quite a bit older than the Filipina asawa.

Filipinas who've been living in North America, Europe or Australia for quite some time - are often just as self-centered and materialistic as the native women of those countries.

One guy I used to work with had his younger Filipina wife leave him (and of course she took their child) for a younger American guy. Turned out her circle of "westernized" Filipina friends had been encouraging her to "dump that old fart and get yourself a younger guy", and that's exactly what she did.

I know some westernized Filipinas here in my state - they're very materialistic and cuss like sailors.

I can only speak for my asawa, but she couldn't care less about having Filipina friends here in the States. A Filipina at our church invited my wife to her house one time, but she politely declined.

Uprooting his family and going to the UK probably has a lot more pitfalls than the OP realizes. Hopefully he won't make a hasty decision that he ends up regretting.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Kabisay-an gid
7 hours ago, savarity said:

You should go back if you can earn more there.

But the overall cost of living in the UK is much higher, which will negate the higher earnings.

• Like 1

savarity

But the overall cost of living in the UK is much higher, which will negate the higher earnings.
I really can't speak at all about the UK, that's why I presented it as an "if" statement. The point is to run the numbers and see if he can make more there, then go there.

In the US, my overall cost of living is certainly LOWER, so it might depend on the person.