Sign in to follow this  
Dafey

An abundance of seafood

Roadhawg
On 12/29/2018 at 8:43 PM, shadow said:

I was raised on cold water seafood, Halibut, albacore tuna, rainbow trout, walleye, northern pike, sturgeon, dungeness crab, razor clams, etc...  

The seafood I have eaten here has almost always been a great disappointment to me. No flavor.

Halibut, Walleye are two of my favorites, I know it's not seafood but nothing better than catfish.

• Like 1

Soupeod
7 hours ago, Roadhawg said:

Halibut, Walleye are two of my favorites,

Miss those great tasting fish!  However I was able to pick up fresh live lobster for 600p a kilo at the market the other day...and holy cow the meat was tasty sweet, probably the best Lobster I've ever had. 

Lobster.jpg

• Like 2

NgitsCarlo
On 12/29/2018 at 4:22 PM, JamesMusslewhite said:

the price I quoted above is a grower's price of individuals of (300-400 gram sizes). These individuals still require an additional 4-6 months to obtain the 1st Buyer's market weight. Grower's prices differ according to size and stage of development, and subject to fluctuation primary driven by supply and demand. As is also true with the 3 buyer's market weight listed below)

As of this weekend here in Northern Caraga and Dinagat Island area, the current 3 primary Buyer's market weight prices are as follows:

(500gram +) 1st Buyer's market weight size  @ 2,800php (per kilogram)

(1,000gram +) 2nd Buyer's market weight size @ 3,800php (per kilogram)

(1,500gram +) 3rd Buyer's market weight size @ 4,800php (per kilogram)

Market prices increase during (regulated Lobster Fishing 'off-season' and nearing the Chinese ) New Year

This is very informative but my cousins there were telling me that the grower's price now dropped from the above mentioned to just only 2,000 / kg.  

• Like 1

JamesMusslewhite
On 4/30/2019 at 6:12 PM, NgitsCarlo said:

This is very informative but my cousins there were telling me that the grower's price now dropped from the above mentioned to just only 2,000 / kg.  

This is very possible. There are a few reasons that lobsters may be only 2k per kilo when the price I quoted are higher. A. the species is not a Panulirus species which yields the higher market price. There are 22 species of Panulirus of which 10 species are native to the Philippines. The species which I specialize is the Panulirus 'ornatus' (Tiger) which actually yields the highest market price. b. the lobster are not live; but rather are iced or frozen. When chilled the flesh still has a creamer texture than that which has been frozen. Reasons the lobster may for sold at lower prices can be that it was of lower quality as to shell (exoskeleton) quality as to color, luster and free of blemishes. The lobster may have died due to mishandling or poor husbandry practices; which is common if improperly transported or relocated between nets. If water quickly became too brackish or were held on excessively high stock densities. Water temperatures become too high causing high mortality due to M.D.S. (Moult Death Syndrome). Currently there are also outbreaks of the WSSV (white spot) virus which is a diseases so pervasive that most growers are forced to conduct 'emergency harvest', which is either to quickly ice their whole stock or harvest the tails.

My own 'grow-out' nets were hit by the WSSV virus which had the potential to effect all 409 pieces in my research net, and another 45 pieces in my wife's own 'grow-out' nets in our lobster hut located near the facility. The virus was carried by 'shrimp heads' sold as lobster food during the last weeks of the rainy season. There was a WSSV outbreak in Zamboanga shrimp ponds. The shrimp growers conducted 'emergency harvest' but some pricks in Butuan then collected the infected heads and flushed them with breach and then treated them with a preservative product Formaline which is a formaldehyde/disinfectant treatment. These idiots then transported the contaminated heads here in this region and sole them to unsuspecting lobster growers. Some growers stock valued in the millions but most local growers were effected. When the outbreak was first reported the buyers immediately stopped buying and shipping stock. Many growers immediately conducted 'emergency harvest' of their stock, but some simply unloaded their infected stock on unsuspecting buyers. There will probably be more than a few killings over this. Some nets were either owned directly or indirectly by members or family of NPA, Others were nets owned by some pretty pissed-off growers who lost hundreds of thousands and even some whose losses were in the millions of pesos. So those involved in this little 'get rich quick' scam best hope the department of fisheries finds them before the NPA are businessmen can get their hands on them. But it did provide some outstandingly affordable prices for lobster in the markets.       

Dafey
23 minutes ago, RangerUp said:

Which market?

Ormoc

• Like 1

PlanB

P2000 for a complete live lobster dinner, veggies, baked potato, hot real butter, in a U.S restaurant-  with assurance it will be cooked just right or immediately corrected. Better health controls, ingredients. Cost of living 5 higher?? Philippines more expensive with no hot water, a cook making P400 a day, no guarantee of food quality. If I knew how to cook it myself those thoughts would be negated. Maybe the lobsters here in Phils are worth it and someday I will understand the restaurant pricing.

• Confused 1

savarity

If I knew how to cook it myself those thoughts would be negated. .

Lobster? Big pot of salted boiling water, in he goes, out he comes when the shell turn red.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

PlanB
51 minutes ago, savarity said:

Lobster? Big pot of salted boiling water, in he goes, out he comes when the shell turn red.

Amazing.

Soupeod
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, RangerUp said:

Nothing in Cebu?

He doesn't live in Cebu but I am sure you could find them in Cebu with as many members who shop the wet markets.

Edited by Soupeod
  • Like 1

oztony
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, savarity said:

Yep ... about 12 minutes does it ..... if you are lucky enough to get them when they are still alive ... just drown them in a bucket of fresh water (they caný breathe in fresh water)..then into the pot .

We got half a dozen of them straight off the boat a couple of weeks ago (for free) 

image.thumb.png.4271e808947d7996044ef9598c3ea9ac.png 

Edited by oztony
  • Like 1

oztony

image.thumb.png.c296e44268ac07b5e41b77b94bc1fd92.pngimage.png.2a4aae236e43c10b8acba5881fa1c72e.pngimage.thumb.png.956aae03427ad334e27edfff65db6805.pngimage.png.73f1fd5a3fbabee1cc3368af4a0d004d.pngimage.thumb.png.038e010dabae75de143b981acdba8890.png

• Like 3

Soupeod
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, oztony said:

image.thumb.png.c296e44268ac07b5e41b77b94bc1fd92.pngimage.png.2a4aae236e43c10b8acba5881fa1c72e.pngimage.thumb.png.956aae03427ad334e27edfff65db6805.pngimage.png.73f1fd5a3fbabee1cc3368af4a0d004d.pngimage.thumb.png.038e010dabae75de143b981acdba8890.png

I see you like drowning them! I just toss em in a pot of boiling water. 😅

they look similiar to the lobster here in Leyte... maybe a little bigger, 1.5k ?

Edited by Soupeod
  • Like 1

oztony
4 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

I see you like drowning them! I just toss em in a pot of boiling water. 😅

they look similiar to the lobster here in Leyte... maybe a little bigger, 1.5k ?

Yeah about 1,5 ... $100 a kilo in this part of the world , most get shipped to Japan and now China .... but if they have 1 yes 1 iddle widdle weg missing they ain't export quality no more ... :)

• Like 1

Cebuandrew

At the main market in Bantayan, all I've seen is the occasional smaller rock lobsters. No colors to them. Here, the best is the large black tiger prawns that one can get for around p400/kilo fresh caught. Take a kilo home, butterfly and devein them, quarter stick of butter and a clove of fresh minced garlic. That is heaven to me.

Soupeod
1 hour ago, RangerUp said:

I haven't seem them in Cebu, not in any malls or markets. Anyone else?

edit: lobsters

Wow, im not sure where they are catching them. They look just like Oztony’s. 600₱ - 700₱ a kilo