Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Wife became a US Citizen… at last! For those who are contemplating K-visa…

Headshot

Congratulations to Mrs. Dog...  :P

• Thanks 1

Salty Dog

The first thing they suggest she does, is get a passport.

She has to send in her original Certificate of Naturalization for the passport. If it gets lost or damaged, it cost $555 to replace it and can take 6 to 12 months.

So I found out they will accept a certified true copy as long as it has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority (USCIS). So we have to go back to where she just got her Naturalization Certificate with a photocopy, and they will certify it. Of course they don't allow walkins, so have to make an appointment online. You can make an appointment from 1-14 days ahead. Of course 1-13 days is already booked. The don't release the 14th day until between midnight and early morning. If you don't make an appointment by 5am, they are all filled already. So I stayed up and they opened the 14th day around 2 am. I snagged one, but still not sure if she won't just go ahead and do the passport ASAP. She doesn't actually send the paperwork in. She has to go to a processing site who checks it over, takes her finger prints, (for the 5th time), and then they mail everything off for processing. It takes 4-6 weeks to get your passport, unless you pay an extra $60 to expedite it, which is still 2-3 weeks. They send the passport to you priority mail, but they send your Naturalization Certificate regular mail. Hopefully in 1-2 weeks after you've gotten your passport.

• Like 1

Soupeod
9 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

My wife is now a US citizen.

Start to finish it took 272 Days.

Onc.jpg

Congrats to her!

SkyMan
16 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

The first thing they suggest she does, is get a passport.

She has to send in her original Certificate of Naturalization for the passport. If it gets lost or damaged, it cost $555 to replace it and can take 6 to 12 months.

So I found out they will accept a certified true copy as long as it has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority (USCIS). So we have to go back to where she just got her Naturalization Certificate with a photocopy, and they will certify it. Of course they don't allow walkins, so have to make an appointment online. You can make an appointment from 1-14 days ahead. Of course 1-13 days is already booked. The don't release the 14th day until between midnight and early morning. If you don't make an appointment by 5am, they are all filled already. So I stayed up and they opened the 14th day around 2 am. I snagged one, but still not sure if she won't just go ahead and do the passport ASAP. She doesn't actually send the paperwork in. She has to go to a processing site who checks it over, takes her finger prints, (for the 5th time), and then they mail everything off for processing. It takes 4-6 weeks to get your passport, unless you pay an extra $60 to expedite it, which is still 2-3 weeks. They send the passport to you priority mail, but they send your Naturalization Certificate regular mail. Hopefully in 1-2 weeks after you've gotten your passport.

Any chance you can request a certified copy with the original? 

papimafioso69

Congrats . I asked my wife if she wanted to stay and get her citizenship and she said nope . We should be moving in about 7 months . 

RedRanger

My wife finally got approved for her 10 year GC from a K1.

We did the AOS and she never had an interview for either the 2 year or the 10 year Greencard.  

We filed for her 10 year greencard almost 3 years ago about 90 days or so before her 2 year was set to expire, She got an one year extension letter for her 2 year while they process her 10 year GC.  That expired and we had to go get a 1-551 stamp at a local USICS office in Texas so she could enter back into the USA, worked like a charm we traveled to Mexico, Domincan Republic and Turks and Caicos and Philippines and never had an issue getting back into USA.

I wanted to file for citizenship back for her a few months ago and let them do the GC and Citizenship concurrently, but for some reason she wanted to wait till she had the permanent GC before filing for naturalization.  

samatm
On 12/7/2018 at 4:56 AM, Anthonytt said:

When your wife becomes a US citizen she will lose her filippine citizenship and will need to apply for dual citizenship. Regardless of if she has a valid filippine passport. 

Technically you are right... But there really is no compelling reason to...  Get  attain formal Philippine citizenship after becoming a naturalised citizen of another country.

My wife got her U S citizenship in 2008  the same year she moved back to the Philippines..  10 years on she has had every right of a RP Citizen.   She votes,  she renewed get RP Passport, she bought property.. Got her SSS,  Phil health,  opened business etc and travels freely using both passports. 

I guess if she were to run for elected office..  She would need to cover her "bases" and get her Philippine Citizenship  formalised.     

Can you think of any other reason to jump through the hoops?    Oh some schools require foreigners who apply as Filipinos to show the formalised document...  San Carlos was giving my son that line But he just showed them his RP Passport and birth certificate which quieted the registrars office. 

goggleye
On 2/7/2019 at 5:55 PM, goggleye said:

My wife sent her application for adjustment of status in late September  -  she recently received her notice of appointment on March 5 for her green card  interview .

Went to the Detroit USCIS field office today.  We passed the change of status Interview today.  Interviewer says a green card in the mail in a week or two. 90 days before it expires in two years you apply for a renewal.  Three years from today she can apply for naturalization.

Side note here.  Haven't been down inside  Detroit for a long time  Hard to believe what Detroit looks like. Block after block of houses all boarded up.

• Like 1

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, goggleye said:

90 days before it expires in two years you apply for a renewal.  Three years from today she can apply for naturalization.

Kind of like the old 10 hotdogs in a pack and 8 buns. You can apply for citizenship in 3 years so we'll make your green card good for 2.

• Like 1

RedRanger
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:11 AM, samatm said:

Technically you are right... But there really is no compelling reason to...  Get  attain formal Philippine citizenship after becoming a naturalised citizen of another country.

My wife got her U S citizenship in 2008  the same year she moved back to the Philippines..  10 years on she has had every right of a RP Citizen.   She votes,  she renewed get RP Passport, she bought property.. Got her SSS,  Phil health,  opened business etc and travels freely using both passports. 

I guess if she were to run for elected office..  She would need to cover her "bases" and get her Philippine Citizenship  formalised.     

Can you think of any other reason to jump through the hoops?    Oh some schools require foreigners who apply as Filipinos to show the formalised document...  San Carlos was giving my son that line But he just showed them his RP Passport and birth certificate which quieted the registrars office. 

Had  friend whom drove to Houston Texas last week, his wife got her US Citizenship a few weeks ago, she is about to drop a kid. Since she is no longer a Philippines Citizen she had to high tail it Philippines Consulate in Houston to get her dual citizenship so when the baby is born it can be have a Philippines Passport and be a Philippines Citizen as well. 

• Like 1

samatm
On 3/6/2019 at 7:09 PM, RedRanger said:

Had  friend whom drove to Houston Texas last week, his wife got her US Citizenship a few weeks ago, she is about to drop a kid. Since she is no longer a Philippines Citizen she had to high tail it Philippines Consulate in Houston to get her dual citizenship so when the baby is born it can be have a Philippines Passport and be a Philippines Citizen as well. 

Now that seems like a pretty good reason!  Does the Philippines have a way to track those who have been naturalised in another country?   

RedRanger
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 11:47 AM, samatm said:

Now that seems like a pretty good reason!  Does the Philippines have a way to track those who have been naturalised in another country?   

Not that I am aware of