Sign in to follow this  
miles-high

Wife became a US Citizen… at last! For those who are contemplating K-visa…

Salty Dog

My wife filed for naturalization on 05/2018. Biometrics completed 06/2018. They are saying it will be completed by 06/2019. All she can do is wait. It seems a lot of it has to do with what regional office they will be going through.  Her's is the Orlando office. 

Now she may have to renew her Philippines’ Passport because it looks like they won't complete her naturalization before it expires. She will have to go to DC to do it. The trip, hotel, meals and all will probably end up costing close to a $1,000. Maybe she will be lucky and there will be an outreach to Florida where she can renew it. 

• Like 1

Dafey
26 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Now she may have to renew her Philippines’ Passport because it looks like they won't complete her naturalization before it expires.

Good idea to keep both passports up to date for a dual citizen. My wife let her Philippine PP lapse and it's a pain to get a new one.

• Thanks 1

SkyMan

ANNOUNCEMENT: CONSULAR OUTREACH MISSION IN MIAMI, FLORIDA ON 16-17 NOVEMBER 2018 (Please note that the schedule is ALREADY FULL as of 30 September 2018)

http://www.philippinesmiami.org/

16 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Now she may have to renew her Philippines’ Passport because it looks like they won't complete her naturalization before it expires. She will have to go to DC to do it. The trip, hotel, meals and all will probably end up costing close to a $1,000. Maybe she will be lucky and there will be an outreach to Florida where she can renew it. 

Maybe there will be another.  She's ok on a green card though, right?

• Like 1

RogerDuMond
34 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

It seems a lot of it has to do with what regional office they will be going through.  Her's is the Orlando office. 

Doesn't it still have to go from Orlando to the Service Center for Florida, which used to be Texas?

RogerDuMond
6 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Doesn't it still have to go from Orlando to the Service Center for Florida, which used to be Texas?

To answer my question, it says that N-400 applications for Florida should be mailed to Texas.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Salty Dog
28 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

http://www.philippinesmiami.org/

Maybe there will be another.  She's ok on a green card though, right?

Technically you don't even have to have a passport when you have a green card as long as you don't plan on going anywhere but getting your citizenship they want to see a passport. Not sure if it has to be current but I wouldn't want to take a chance. 

• Thanks 1

Salty Dog
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

To answer my question, it says that N-400 applications for Florida should be mailed to Texas.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Nothing to mail, it was all done on the computer via the internet.  As to where it's initially reviewed,  it could be in one of several locations.  But in the end,  everything has to go to the local office where the interview is conducted. 

• Like 2

Anthonytt

When your wife becomes a US citizen she will lose her filippine citizenship and will need to apply for dual citizenship. Regardless of if she has a valid filippine passport. 

• Like 3

Highlighter
4 hours ago, Anthonytt said:

When your wife becomes a US citizen she will lose her filippine citizenship and will need to apply for dual citizenship. Regardless of if she has a valid filippine passport. 

Is this the case for all nationalities? I refer to Australian in particular

shadow
44 minutes ago, Highlighter said:

Is this the case for all nationalities? I refer to Australian in particular

Yes, it's basically just a formality and a way to get your money.

• Like 2

Headshot
21 hours ago, miles-high said:

☆Attended the Oath of Allegiance Ceremony! 12/2018

Congrats to the little lady.

• Thanks 1

miles-high
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, Salty Dog said:

Her's is the Orlando office. 

Her's was processed at their Lee's Summit, MO office...

• Thanks 1

Soupeod
On 12/6/2018 at 2:03 PM, Salty Dog said:

Nothing to mail, it was all done on the computer via the internet.  As to where it's initially reviewed,  it could be in one of several locations.  But in the end,  everything has to go to the local office where the interview is conducted. 

Is there a test?

Salty Dog
14 minutes ago, soupeod said:

Is there a test?

Yes, but they usually just ask them a couple of question and make sure they can read, write and understand English.

My wife has studied the sample questions so much that she probably knows more than what 90% of natural born citizens know about the government.

• Thanks 1