GBT62

Time For Training: Only 7 Out Of 9,000 Motorcycle Riders Pass Exam On Traffic Rules

GBT62

https://news.abs-cbn.com/video/news/12/05/18/time-for-training-only-7-out-of-9000-motorcycle-riders-pass-exam-on-traffic-rules

ABS-CBN News

Posted at Dec 05 2018 08:00 AM 

A group of motorists on Wednesday expressed support for a proposed law that would establish a mandatory training safety program for motorcycle riders to curb road accidents. 

Senate Bill 1822, filed by Senator JV Ejercito, tasks motorcycle riders to complete the training as a requirement for registering their vehicles at the Land Transportation Office. 

"Matagal na naming hinahangad na matupad iyan," said Motorcycle Philippines Association director for administration Atoy Sta. Cruz.

Sta. Cruz noted that only 7 out of 9,000 motorcycle riders passed the exam on traffic rules that his group gave before seminars on road safety in the last 2 years. 

Ejercito, in proposing the Motorcycle Safety Training Act, also noted that motorcycle riders were the top victims of road crashes since 2010, based on data from the Metropolitan Manila Development Authority. 

Of the total 8.7 million vehicles registered with the LTO for 2015, 4.8 million were motorcycles, the senator added, citing data from the regulating body. 

Ejercito's measure was pending in the committee level, as of this posting, according to the Senate website.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

Better yet ... make sure that this exam is given to all motorcycle operator license applicants, and don't allow those who fail to get a license. That will keep unqualified riders off the road in the first place.

• Like 2

liquido
18 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Better yet ... make sure that this exam is given to all motorcycle operator license applicants, and don't allow those who fail to get a license. That will keep unqualified riders off the road in the first place.

Hypothetically speaking could this be an income generator for some people/? Nah

• Like 1

lamoe
1 hour ago, liquido said:

Hypothetically speaking could this be an income generator for some people/? Nah

Loss of income for ambulance drivers, hospitals, repair shops, morticians, motorcycle dealers.

streak03

That'll never happen.  Sounds good, makes sense, but nah, wont happen.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

wondersailor

Followed by auto drivers too, I'm sure. Oh wait, auto drivers are more weathy. Can't piss off the wealthy even though their vehicles pose a potentially much greater hazard. And of course, there are the bus, truck and van drivers. But wait, can't upset the business owners. So, let's just focus on motorcycle riders even if the greatest risk they pose is to themseves. They are the perfect group, poor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Enuff
Followed by auto drivers too, I'm sure. Oh wait, auto drivers are more weathy. Can't piss off the wealthy even though their vehicles pose a potentially much greater hazard. And of course, there are the bus, truck and van drivers. But wait, can't upset the business owners. So, let's just focus on motorcycle riders even if the greatest risk they pose is to themseves. They are the perfect group, poor.
Auto drivers are the problem

Sit at a traffic light and watch 50 motorcycles take off without incident in less than 3 seconds, meanwhile the 1st cars just disengaged their emergency brakes and putter off.

A car equals the same space occupied by at least 10 motorcycles. Usually 1 or 2 passengers in the car and about 15 on the bikes.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

lamoe
1 hour ago, Enuff said:

Auto drivers are the problem

Sit at a traffic light and watch 50 motorcycles take off without incident in less than 3 seconds, meanwhile the 1st cars just disengaged their emergency brakes and putter off.

A car equals the same space occupied by at least 10 motorcycles. Usually 1 or 2 passengers in the car and about 15 on the bikes.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

Motorcycles rely on that "disengaged their emergency brakes and putter off" to get 1 car length ahead.

MY multicab is automatic - fuel injected - so I can move like a BOH (bat out of hell) off the line - I often tell motors on left when I'm 1st at light waiting for change  - "be careful I move quickly" - get WTF does that mean look?  - They are so accustomed to disengage , shift, putter along that I scare the sh!t out of them with foot off brake onto gas  - zoom.

I have learned to tone it down after many scared "holy sh!t" looks over shoulder and horn.

Fastest I've ever driven is 155 Mph (250 Kph) - farthest is 2000 Km in less than 1 day

image.png.c7e4147b290396c49c56cd9a753e30a9.png

lolhahaha
12 hours ago, Headshot said:

Depends where you are talking about because according to my wife nobody has a license where we live and they would have to travel several hours to get one even if they wanted to waste their time getting one.

• Like 5

towboat72
17 hours ago, Headshot said:

Sounds like a great idea,but I don't think just because they failed to get a license they will stop using there bikes.

Look how many still ride without helmets even though the law requires a helmet.

Davaoeno
18 hours ago, GBT62 said:

Sta. Cruz noted that only 7 out of 9,000 motorcycle riders passed the exam on traffic rules that his group gave before seminars on road safety in the last 2 years

It is very easy to make test questions that most people will get wrong.   I've seen it on Canadian driving tests- you make the questions culturally biased  or ask questions in such a way that  the memory of information is more important than logic ! 

• Like 1

smokey
8 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Wonder what the rules are for rain you know when the back riders hold the umbrella to sheidl the bike rider funny but possibably not safe says this car owner

• Haha 1

noddle

Maybe they need to make it expensive for no license riders..,

If you get caught without a license, impound the bike for 30 days, and a fine to get it back (php5000+) , if no money to pay the fine.  hold the bike until the fine is paid, after 12 month, bike get sold at auction.

maybe then it would make them think twice.

smokey
9 hours ago, wondersailor said:

Well at least them rich guys have car insurance 

• Like 1

bounder
6 hours ago, lolhahaha said:

Depends where you are talking about because according to my wife nobody has a license where we live and they would have to travel several hours to get one even if they wanted to waste their time getting one.

I am amazed at the number of motorbikes who have no plates on them, or have temporary tags (and I know some who have had their motorbikes/trikes for years) and also those who do have plates, but no tags.   Now, add the possibility that those drivers don't even possess a driver's license and then you can understand how such a test would be useless.  If there is no enforcement of the rules/laws, then there is no revenue or accountability.  Makes my time on the highway with my motorbike far more perilous.  AND, there is an LTO in our municipality which seems to make no difference to the drivers.