Sign in to follow this  
Jawny

Renewal of ITIN process worked

Jawny

Thought I’d pass along good news about the renewal process for an Individual Taxpayer Identifcation Number, ITIN. There is a way assistance can be provided from the Jim Boyd Foundation.  However, that requires an in-person visit.  Living in Leyte makes that a bit of a hassle, so the process can also be done by use of mail or courier such as FedEx. 

The requirement for renewal of an expiring ITIN makes it necessary to present identification document such as a passport. This would be done in person at the RAO in Angeles at the Jim Boyd Foundation. The alternative is to send the passport to the IRS.  The good news is that the IRS will accept a certified copy of a passport. That reduces the risk of a loss of the passport.

When the IRS returns documents, they use ordinary mail.  Not registered mail.  Thus, there is a risk of loss or theft of the passport.

Time from mailing to receipt takes aroundtwo months. 

Davaoeno
1 minute ago, Jawny said:

Thus, there is a risk of loss or theft of the passport.

not if you only send a certified copy  ??

Jawny

A certified copy is just that, a copy.  If lost or stolen, the passport is still on hand.  

SkyMan

Got my wife's pp back last month. Regular FPO mail. Way problema. 

As for the certified copy, I don't think the IRS will accept a PI notary and I don't think the Consul/Embassy will notarize a PI document such as a pp. I'd use regular mail and not worry about it.  If it doesn't come back it's like p1300, right?

Salty Dog

Way back when. I sent my wives PP to the Jim Boyd Foundation.

They were authorized to certify a copy and send the copy of her PP to the IRS.

The turn around for her PP was less than a week.

Jawny

The Jim Boyd Foundation is authorizes to serve as an official agent for ITIN processing.  However, the requirement now is the applicant must make a personal appearance.  Then the W7 form is prepared and they send it to the IRS on behalf of the applicant.  

The passport is easily certified by the issuing agency, the DFA. Easy is relative, however.  The DFA in Cebu accepts the request for certification, fees are paid (I think it is ₽200), the application with a colored photocopy of the passport is then sent to Manila for the actual certification.  I may have the term incorrect.  It may be authentication.  

The docment is returned to Cebu DFA and can be picked up.  Ordered two, but glad it was checked.  One of the two did NOT, have the raised seal.  Easy to remedy right there.

The certification (passport copy) along with the OR is sent with the W7.  

A replacement passport is more than just the cost of a new one.  There will need to be a statement of loss prepared by a lawyer, as well as a trip to the nearest DFA.