Bama

Editorial: Military Presence (Cebu Traffic)

Bama

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1776662/Cebu/Opinion/Editorial-Military-presence

Editorial: Military presence

MILITANTS critical of the recent deployment of military personnel to the streets to help address the traffic problem worry that the move is preparatory to the declaration of military rule in the country. They also talk about militarization. They could be right but the more apt concern is practicality.

Or what’s this penchant for calling on the military every time the civilian authority is faced with problems of a certain magnitude? When illegal drugs were successfully smuggled into the country, attesting to the reality that smuggling is still rampant in our ports, the military was deployed to the Bureau of Customs.

How big is the civilian authority’s problem with traffic that the military has to be deployed to our streets? Or should we say how big is the Cebu Provincial Government’s problem with traffic that the military has to be called in? In the same vein, one can question the ability of the newly formed Inter-Agency Council for Traffic (I-ACT) to solve the province’s traffic woes without the military.

The other problem was raised by the local government units, specifically the City of Talisay Traffic Operation Development Authority (Cttoda), about the lack of coordination when I-ACT flexed its muscle, using the military of course, in their jurisdiction. Wouldn’t it have been good had I-ACT consulted the LGUs, which have their own traffic units, before their operation and the deployment of military men in their areas?

Finally, you have the image conjured by uniformed men carrying high-powered rifles on the streets, an image proper only to highly militarized zones like, say, Marawi City at the height of the siege by terrorists. In more advanced nations, their traffic policemen only carry sticks and sometimes short guns, while apprehending traffic violators.

We are not even talking here of the possibility of abuse being committed by those behind this setup in the long run. That is why the Cebu Provincial Government and Gov. Hilario Davide III, who heads I-ACT, should review the logic of the move, including the assigning of the military to a task the civilian authority could manage well if imbued with enough determination and dedication.

militants.thumb.jpg.2ee3a6c5b647261f6e0a0e63200cec1e.jpg

• Like 1

lamoe

And the OP-ED's author's solution is?        Is?        Is?

People are more abt to listen to a man with an M-16 than they are a guy in a vest is why.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Complaining without offering a solution is just wining. 

He seems to hint that issuing sticks or handguns to CITOMs would help.  Not sure if that would. 

I just wonder if the military doesn't have something better to do? And while this seems like a bandaid,  what is cure?

Edited by SkyMan

lamoe
9 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Complaining without offering a solution is just wining. 

He seems to hint that issuing sticks or handguns to CITOMs would help.  Not sure if that would. 

I just wonder if the military doesn't have something better to do? And while this seems like a bandaid,  what is cure?

Education and enforcement..

Teach them the rules of the road and enforce them.

Osmena Extension - no left turn onto Escario - enforcer present - taxi and motor almost hit a person crossing with light.

Guy with an M-16 might make them think

Cgu

There will be no solution. There is no space to build new roads!! At the same time vehicles and other moving "things" are increasing. 

Have you seen a new road built in Cebu City in the last 10 years?

So not even discipline will help to decongest Cebu City.

Headshot

It would help if the traffic cops (CITOM, TEAM and C-TESS) were actually out there enforcing the laws (writing tickets for those those breaking the law) instead of trying to direct traffic and failing miserably. As it is now, the traffic cops do more to congest traffic than they do to clear it up. They give right-of-way to side streets rather than making sure the main streets are flowing smoothly. If they use the soldiers to merely reinforce what they are doing now, it will only make the problem worse.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

lamoe
1 hour ago, Cgu said:

There will be no solution. There is no space to build new roads!! At the same time vehicles and other moving "things" are increasing. 

So not even discipline will help to decongest Cebu City.

Disagree - no parking on Escario or other major roads - Osmena, etc. blocking right and sometimes half of left lane  - will be a PITA  - pain in the a$$ - yes it will be at first.

What you will find I believe is that the center of town as it exits will cease for the small business - will many people will suffer?  - yes - happened to small town US  will happen here. Business will move to where the customers can get to them and customers will go where the businesses are.

Build huge parking garages instead of another condo building

Jeepneys - restricted to right lane only

Motors no weaving in and out - restricted to extreme left or right lane only, if in  designated lane stay there.

Remove  sidewalk obstructions - including trees so pedestrians can use them

In some areas - they have restricted large delivery trucks to late night hours I believe?

• Like 1

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Cgu said:

There will be no solution. There is no space to build new roads!!

Express (limited access) elevated hiway from Danao to Carcar.

2 hours ago, Cgu said:

The Cansaga bridge road and I think the SRP is slightly less than 10 years old.

2 hours ago, Cgu said:

At the same time vehicles and other moving "things" are increasing. 

That's a big problem they aren't addressing.  Lots of new vehicles added daily and the old clunkers hang around forever.  I say, a big registration tax on vehicles over 25yo would help a lot.  Then slowly reduce that age down to 20yo.

Cgu
19 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

The Cansaga bridge road 

Yes...and after the bridge...10 years on..just worse...useless.

Jim_in_Jax

I'm not sure who bears responsibility for traffic enforcement.  I've seen CITCOM the most often.  When I have seen them, they're not doing much enforcing.  They're quite often standing in the shade while countless traffic violations are being committed right in front of them.  An example I experience this lack of enforcement most often is the intersection of E. Sabellano St and Francisco Llamas in Punta Princesa.   If going north on Francisco Llamas at that intersection you're held up much longer than necessary because even though the left lane is for turning both lanes attempt to turn left onto Sabellano street which is one lane.  Jeepneys are the worst offenders of this but many other vehicles do it also.  In the other direction going south, the vehicles counterflow into one lane of northbound traffic so they can turn left.  I can't count the times I've gone through there while CITCOM stands around watching this.

This city (Cebu) and quite likely most cities here, need to get the enforcers enforcing or find ones that will.  This could contribute much to smoother traffic flow if people's wallets get dented for the idiotic way they drive here.

to_dave007

Just to let you know..  soldiers out here in Tuburan too.

SkyMan
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Just to let you know..  soldiers out here in Tuburan too.

I was in Cebu yesterday and didn't see any military.

Woolf
5 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I think that you will see military in connection with check point only

I think it was mentioned in the first thread on this subject   ???

• Like 1

to_dave007
11 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Passing over Transcentral last week or week before saw two young and armed soldiers all camouflaged with tree branches that looked they were on some mission..  which COULD have been to make it back in time for lunch for all I know.  Not focussed on traffic.

But the ones in Tuburan were at main intersection,.  At least 3 of them.

Dafey
23 hours ago, lamoe said:

Let's all keep in mind that when a Member posts an article, especially and "editorial", it is not necessarily their opinion...they are just reporting the news.