Anthonytt

Inguinal Hernia Repair Surgery

Anthonytt

Hello All, Just a metter of time before I need to have this hernia repair, did left side 15 years ago now right side needed. I wanted to know if anyone has gone through this in the Philippines? Wanted to know your experience, price, where you had it done. Thanks for your reply!

Jawny

From what I know hernia operations are pretty common for a general surgeon to perform. That is, selecting a surgeon and hospital is first choice.  Two ways to have it done, endoscopically and open cutting.

Mesh is used here and implanted during the process.  The anesthesiologist will probably use a spinal injection and you’ll be awake during the process.

Maybe three days in hospital for presurgery preps, one or two days post surgery exams.  

There is a fee for the surgeon at the surgery and any post surgical exams.  As well, the anesthesiologist.  A fee for the surgical theater.  While talking with the surgeon, he should be able to give an estimate of the costs.  

Linc members will likely have strong opinions about which hospital is best.  Chung Hua is considered a good choice.  I doubt there will be much difference in pricing from other private hospitals. 

Tony Chua is/was a general surgeon at Chung Hua. 

• Thanks 1

nothingbutquestions

To increase your awareness of all the options available you might find it informative to visit this site www.desarda.com

There is a surgeon trained in this repair who practices in Manila.

Good luck

• Thanks 1

smokey

Had it done cebu doc by dr. Don Rosello 4 days total had to take some intestine large cost about 200 000 all in

Edited by smokey
  • Thanks 1

M.C.A.

One of my neighbors' and a friend a Philippine man had this done I think last year and the cost was 30,000 pesos.

• Thanks 1

smokey
4 hours ago, M.C.A. said:

One of my neighbors' and a friend a Philippine man had this done I think last year and the cost was 30,000 pesos.

Well mine was golf ball size and attached to my intestine it was a 2 plus hour operation using key hole surgery no scars 30 sounds like a cyst removal in day surgery room i had 2 of those removed also took 30 min 12.500

sierra01

Fliping heck.  I had the Same op done in the UK in April.  Arrived at 7.30am, general anesthetic, bit of mesh, 2 glasses of water, a cup of tea with biscuits and walked out the door at 1pm.  Driving my car 4 days later.  They gave me 2 changes of dressing to do myself and I was back at work 2 weeks later.  

• Thanks 2

M.C.A.
12 hours ago, smokey said:

Well mine was golf ball size and attached to my intestine it was a 2 plus hour operation using key hole surgery no scars 30 sounds like a cyst removal in day surgery room i had 2 of those removed also took 30 min 12.500

Smokey would your surgery also be labeled a TURP or Transurethral resection of the prostate?  Or both a hernia and a TURP.

smokey

That went right over my head sorry.  Good doctor still calls to ask how i am once a year. All i know is mine was deep below the belly button and intertwined to my large intestine looking back i should of just had dong use tin snips and i could of drank some cocunut wine then i could say see 800 peso all in

Edited by smokey
  • Like 1

Busted Dick
19 hours ago, sierra01 said:

Fliping heck.  I had the Same op done in the UK in April.  Arrived at 7.30am, general anesthetic, bit of mesh, 2 glasses of water, a cup of tea with biscuits and walked out the door at 1pm.  Driving my car 4 days later.  They gave me 2 changes of dressing to do myself and I was back at work 2 weeks later.  

I had hernia surgery in the UK 8 years go... very similar experience to yours although I was off work 4 weeks.

sierra01
3 hours ago, Busted Dick said:

I had hernia surgery in the UK 8 years go... very similar experience to yours although I was off work 4 weeks.

I drive cars for a living so nothing too strenuous, if I'd worked in an office I could probably have gone back to work after 7-10 days.

If it's just a straightforward op, as mine was, why the need for 3 days in hospital?  

Jester

Good timing.  I had a surgeon consult yesterday at the VA in Cape Coral FL.  Suggested a laparoscopic procedure as I have 3 that need to be repaired.

I have had them for a long time and they never bothered me but last month started hurting bad.  Need to go to St Petersburg FL for another consult.  Need to get it over with for a Mar trip to the P's.    I am usually full of harmless but smelly gas so that part may not be needed.

Laparoscopic surgery: In this surgery, your abdomen is inflated with a harmless gas. This gives the surgeon a better look of your organs. He’ll make a few small incisions (cuts) near the hernia. He’ll insert a thin tube with a tiny camera on the end (laparoscope). The surgeon uses images from the laparoscope as a guide to repair the hernia with mesh. For laparoscopic surgery, you’ll receive general anesthesia.

Recovery is usually faster with laparoscopic surgery: On average, patients are back to their normal routine a week sooner than with open surgery.

• Thanks 2

smokey

So lets see i guess all hernias are not created equal and to remove them depends on size and location and can take days in the hospital or if your a bad to the bone type guy a sharp piece of glass and some duct tape 

• Haha 1

sierra01

Don't you just love sarcasm.

• Sad 1

smokey
6 hours ago, sierra01 said:

Don't you just love sarcasm.

Sarcasm would be i once knew a guy who removed his own hernia with a dull spoon and a bottle of 151 rum guess i was a.light weight and.used a hospital