• Thanks 1

colemanlee

I did learn something, if your stupid dont make videos

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

lamoe

2 cases reported on the street where her family compound is near Inaganga

Goetz1965

Another typical millennial who learns the facts of live the hard way !

I had dengue myself in Panglao, I just felt I had a bit cold, but the virus check showed its dengue.
I just went home to cebu but never stayed at a hospital. I googled what dengue is and just memorized that if I suddenly feel weak and start bleeding than its really dangerous.

I also was in Cebu Doc hospital for treatment some days 3 yeas ago. 
All I learned there is that YOU as the patient be responsible for your treatment yourself !
When I didn't need any more pain medication I was the one telling the nurses to get me the doctor and then told him to stop medication as I didn't need it anymore.
I also was the one telling them I feel good and can be released, it then just took the doctor half a day to write the bill for his treatment. So if I wouldn't have been the one gently pushing the nurses to call the doctors again and again so that I can talk to the doctors and convince them that its better to do what I say - I sure would have stayed some more days.

• Like 1

Dafey
49 minutes ago, lamoe said:

2 cases reported on the street where her family compound is near Inaganga

30 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

I had dengue

It would help if you guys actuallywatched the video before making a comment....he did not have Dengue

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

lamoe
2 minutes ago, Dafey said:

It would help if you guys actuallywatched the video before making a comment....he did not have Dengue

Thanks - I have a hard time understanding his accent - tried until about 1/2 of the way through (6 min mark) and gave up - before he said it wasn't Dengue - went back listened to the 7:10 mark then stopped it again:oldtimer:

Dafey

Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it...

• Haha 1

lamoe
3 minutes ago, Dafey said:

Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it...

Same with Jimmy  - maybe 2 out  3 other words - high pitched and music overrides it :sad_01:

Goetz1965
23 hours ago, Dafey said:

I watched the video, and when he started to present his blood tests I realized that Cebu Doc is a clever hospital - as they noticed this guy is a stupid millennial and worth to milk from his money.

When I was in Tagbilaran and the doctor checked for dengue I just had the antivirus check done - not a complete blood count test ! So the guy could have saved a lot of money if he only would have knowledge - but he is a millennial youtube influencer and that means dumb as feck !

So in that case KARMA hit him hard LOL

Jawny

I’ve had multiple instances of family members experiencing symptoms identical to those described by the young man.  In each instance, there were a variety of blood tests done to help eliminate possible ailments.  Once done, treatment can be narrowed down to what is the suspected ailment.  

Dengue is not the only ailment with these symptoms  

In effect, the blood tests he described seem quite appropriate.  

My family members have gone to private as well as public hospitals.  The diagnostic process they went through was very similar to the young man.  I doubt Chung Hua simply over billed him to make a profit. 

Also, the process for blood testing includes a "package" exam (my words). That is, rather have single unique tests performed, a full range is done.  This is much more cost effective.  I once asked for an itemization of the package tests and was amazed at the much higher cost of each test were done individually. 

• Like 3

RogerDuMond
1 hour ago, Goetz1965 said:

When I was in Tagbilaran and the doctor checked for dengue I just had the antivirus check done - not a complete blood count test !

A CBC is a standard blood test and is usually one of the first test done when someone has the symptoms of any serious ailment. It is a relatively inexpensive test and can show the possibility of Dengue among other diseases. The blood test for Dengue is a specialized test that is much more expensive and would only tell you if you have Dengue.

• Like 2

Headshot

He is happy that he didn't have Dengue, and if it wasn't Dengue, he should be happy (though he never did say what disease he actually had). When I had Dengue, I went through all of the tests that he did, except that I had them done at Hi-Precision before I went near a hospital. Then I gave the results to my doctor, who had me admitted into Cebu Doctors immediately. I didn't have to stop in the Emergency Room or anything. I just went to the front desk, told them who I was and that my doctor had made arrangements and booked a deluxe room (on the sixth floor).

Finn obviously didn't have his own doctor and went with the cheapest room when they finally admitted him (shown in his video), which was why he waited for everything. Even the deluxe room is cheaper than staying in most resorts here, and with Dengue, you are mainly in the hospital so they can keep you hydrated and keep track of your blood counts. There is no cure for Dengue other than letting it run its course. The treatment is just to not let the disease get to critical levels.

Luckily, I didn't get so low on red blood cells that I needed a whole blood transfusion, but that doesn't mean the disease didn't still mess me up. I was in the hospital for almost a week, and the disease damaged my heart muscle (one of those possible outcomes that they never tell you about). I now have a fancy heart device implanted in my shoulder to keep my heart running (done in the US).

Yes, he is happy, but unless he changes his lifestyle and the precautions he takes, he will likely get Dengue at some point. There are four different strains of the Dengue virus, and I have to wonder which strain of anti-bodies the Dengue test is checking for, since each of the strains causes its own anti-bodies. Infection with one strain doesn't make you immune to the other strains either. In fact, it makes you even more susceptible to the others, and more likely to have a fatal encounter.

You need to have a good relationship with a doctor here, who you can call on to give you assistance, or else you just fall through the cracks of the medical system. It makes all the difference in the world. Don't wait until you are in the Emergency Room, and then hope that an ER doctor will help you. In most cases, the ER doctor that treats you is just an intern or a resident. They are too busy to give you whatever attention you need.

Cgu
2 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

but he is a millennial youtube influencer and that means dumb as feck !

Why? He earns good money and likes what he does. Travels and lives in the Philippines and blogs about his experiences. He is young and does not like at 8 to 5 job. So what is dumb about that?

The experience he had in the hospital seems like a standard procedure (according to some members). What is dumb about that. Anyway hospital is not a good experience in any country, less so in a developing country.

• Like 3

GBT62

Unlike a lot of travel Vloggers that quickly fly through PI/Cebu and just do the usual "first time foreigner tries Lechon/Jollibee/whatever" - then on to the next island or country -  he has settled here and does a lot of good positive and promotional videos.

Also involved in worthwhile local charity work (watch the school video below).   I'd buy him a beer tomorrow.

• Like 2