Dafey

Isolated Tribe Kills American Missionary

Dafey

John Allen Chau, 27-year-old American tourist, who was out to explore a cut-off island on the Andaman Sea, was killed by a remote tribe that fiercely defends its island home, media reports said on Wednesday.

The man, according to the reports, was hit by arrows as soon as he set his foot on the island. His body was recovered from the sea. The incident occurred on Saturday.

The Andamans are home to the 400-strong Jarawa tribe who activists say are threatened by contact from outsiders.

Chau had paid the local fishermen to take him to North Sentinel Island, which is a home to Sentinelese (also known as Sentineli). They resist contact with the outside world.

The North Sentinel Island is out of bounds even to the Indian navy in a bid to protect its reclusive inhabitants who number only about 150, AFP reported.

According to reprots, the island has been inhabited by the indigenous Sentinelese for over 55,000 years.

Who are Sentinelese?

The Sentinelese is a tribal society of hunter-gatherer that hunt and gather in the forest, and fish in the coastal waters. They also collect wild plants. It is said that the tribe does not practice cannibalism.

They fiercely reject all contact with the outside world that is not known to them.

Also read | US man, out to explore cut-off Andaman island, killed by protected tribe

North Sentinel Island is about 50-km (31 miles) west of Port Blair, the capital of the island cluster.

It was in 2004, during the Indian Ocean tsunami that the tribe attracted international attention when a member of the tribe was photographed on the beach, shooting arrows at the Indian Coast Guard helicopter that was flying around to check on their welfare.

The Sentinelese have a record of being hostile to anyone who tries to get close to them.

In 2006, two Indian fishermen, who were poaching mud crabs near the island, moored their boat to sleep and were drifted onto the shore after their anchor broke loose, were killed by the tribe, AFP reported. Three days later, their body was discovered by the Indian Coast Guard amid hostile reactions from the tribe.

image.png.1b21c324d14e057fadaa349bbe8110c0.png

Women wear fibre strings, men carry spears, bows and arrows

The Sentinelese are considered as sovereign people by the Indian government. Indian authorities make periodic checks on the tribe from boats anchored at a safe distance from shore, a report in AFP said.

According to Survival International, the Sentinelese live in three small bands and have two different types of hours. A number of families lives in large communal huts packed with hearths, while some live in temporary shelters big enough for one nuclear family with no sides.

The women of the tribe wear fibre strings tied to their necks, heads and waists, while the men wear necklaces and headbands. They also wear a thicker waist belt. Men carry spears, bows and arrows.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/world/isolated-tribe-kills-american-tourist-on-remote-island-in-andaman-sea-but-who-are-sentinelese/ar-BBPYIZy?ocid=spartandhp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wondersailor

I guess he learned his lesson! Young and foolish.

• Like 5

Goetz1965

Darwin Award !

• Like 3

Davaoeno

Ugh ! I come in peace !  

• Haha 3

GBT62

tourist ? 

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/american-killed-after-wading-ashore-on-an-isolated-island/news-story/9ae5c8d507a541986ba2cb757b7f6c5e

"American missionary John Allen Chau had written that he didn’t want to die, hours before a remote Indian tribe killed him in a hail of arrows."

“You guys might think I’m crazy in all this but I think it’s worthwhile to declare Jesus to these people,” he wrote in a last note to his family on November 16, shortly before he left the safety of the fishing boat to meet the tribesmen on the island. “God, I don’t want to die.”

He appears to have been tolerated until the tribe started losing patience. They survive by hunting, fishing and gathering plants.

When they fired an arrow at him, it struck a book Mr Chau was carrying, which an acquaintance said was a Bible, AP reported.

He attempted to speak their language and sing worship songs.

“I hollered, ‘My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you,’,” Mr Chau wrote, adding that a child shot at him with an arrow that missed and pierced his waterproof Bible.

Mr Chau, who was illegally ferried to the island by fishermen, returned the next day and exactly what happened next is unclear, but the fishermen have told police Mr Chau was set upon from the moment his feet touched the sand.

• Haha 1

Davaoeno
12 hours ago, GBT62 said:

“I hollered, ‘My name is John, I love you and Jesus loves you,’,

I can't count the number  of times someone started yelling that and I wished I had a bow and arrow handy !!

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

GBT62

Same tribe fired arrows upon Indian CoastGuard Helicopters on more than occassion.  Rampant arrow culture ...

image.png.484ac842366a3160f138143f1f8f2a9e.png

"Tribespeople killed two Indian fishermen in 2006 when their boat broke loose and drifted onto the shore.

An Indian Coast Guard helicopter sent to retrieve the bodies was repelled by a volley of arrows from the community."

The tribe chieftain looks kinda familiar :scratch_head:

image.png.62ccd920e8e6865f839f93e5aa09a753.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

oztony

Isolated Tribe Kills American Dumbass Missionary

I fixed the title....

• Like 8