More questions...

udonthani

yes that picture in reply #14 is exactly the kind of pouch that you want. It looks like it's got a velcro fastener on both the front and back, which is better than a zipper. It's lightweight and non-bulky, therefore invisible when it's concealed, and it also looks like it's made of, not cloth, which is a bad choice of material in the tropics, but the kind of material that's water resistant enough to resist the sweat that it will inevitably come into contact with when it's hidden in your pants for long periods. It doesn't look like it's water resistant enough to beat the wet that will attack the cards if you find yourself motorcycling through a downpour without wearing waterproofs though. For that eventuality, I always have a few small plastic bags of the kind that banks use to store coins, and wrap the cards in those to make sure they keep absolutely dry in the pouch. With cash, it doesn't matter if it gets wet as it will quickly dry again, though not to the point where it doesn't matter in Australia, or anywhere else where the money is plastic rather than paper.

always keep your lifeline pouch about your body, i.e. in your pants, at all times except when it's in an hotel safe. Even on a motorcycle, never put it in the dry place under the seat, because it's really easy to forget taking it out when you park up. It's bad enough to get your motorbike stolen. When your pouch, with your passport, cards, and possibly 10,000 pesos or more is under the seat and that gets stolen as well, then that multiplies what is already a disaster into a total calamity. Also you don't want to be seen by anybody taking it out of the dry compartment and putting it on again.

I also have a completely waterproof pouch that I use when I'm swimming and snorkelling, in those places where I don't have access to a safe. That's bulkier, therefore more difficult to conceal, but still should be invisible walking around on a beach underneath a suitably loose-fitting pair of shorts. Even though this plastic pouch is pretty much completely waterproof and if it's securely fastened you ought to be able to carry a cellphone in it, I do not of course carry a cellphone in it when I'm swimming and take the precaution of protecting the cards and also my passport if I'm carrying it, with those small plastic coins bags should a little trace of water seep into it while swimming.

targetlock

you just have to use common sense. I just got back from my second trip there in a year and got married this time to a girl I met the last time I was there. I was riding the multicabs by myself all the time. You just don't want them to think that you just arrived in the country yesterday. If they percieve that you have spent even a little time in the area no one should mess with you. I am not the biggest guy at only 6'2 and 210 pounds but I never had anyone try a physical intimidation thing other than a couple of other foreigners who found themselves on the floor rather quickly. You just have to treat everyone with respect it will be returned in many ways.

Paul

Bob, I have to agree with Sam and Jim, too.

You ride a jeepney, what, daily? I don't even ride them daily, although I do ride in them fairly often. Of course, over time, you will learn the ins and outs of jeepney riding. But, the new guy shouldn't really ride one unless he is with someone he can trust.

I have seen "seasoned" guys do some really stupid things. For example, I have seen guys who lived here for years, ride a jeepney with tons of cash, simply because they were too cheap to pay for a taxi. They lost tons to pickpockets too.

tom_shor

If I am carrying money I always take a taxi. :rolleyes:

Bob Ward
Bob, I have to agree with Sam and Jim, too.

You ride a jeepney, what, daily? I don't even ride them daily, although I do ride in them fairly often. Of course, over time, you will learn the ins and outs of jeepney riding. But, the new guy shouldn't really ride one unless he is with someone he can trust.

I have seen "seasoned" guys do some really stupid things. For example, I have seen guys who lived here for years, ride a jeepney with tons of cash, simply because they were too cheap to pay for a taxi. They lost tons to pickpockets too.

Yes I did. I don't try and hide my mistakes. BUT, I was targeted at the Citibank ATM and followed. Having K with me was no help either. But that is about pickpockets.

The bullshit comment I made about Jim's post was because he implied it is gravely dangerous to ride jeepneys alone. I just don't feel that way. I ride them all hours of the day to all places. Even Carbon/Colon at midnight, you just have to use common sense and keep you wits about you.

Turbota

Despite Bob Ward's previous comment on another jeepney thread about a post I made concerning jeepneys ... let me just say; If you folks plan on living here full time, you might seriously consider buying a car.

Then you don't have to worry about getting robbed in some overcrowded run-down jeepney. It will also make your quality of life much better than relying on taxies, jeepneys or trikes everytime you want to go somewhere.

Owning a bike is another option (I have a Sportster over here), but it is impossible to carry groceries and such on a bike ..... get a car, or something with 4 wheels. You will be glad you did.

Just my opinion

Edited by Turbota
Bob Ward
Despite Bob Ward's previous comment on another jeepney thread about a post I made concerning jeepneys ... let me just say; If you folks plan on living here full time, you might seriously consider buying a car.

Then you don't have to worry about getting robbed in some overcrowded run-down jeepney. It will also make your quality of life much better than relying on taxies, jeepneys or trikes everytime you want to go somewhere.

Owning a bike is another option (I have a Sportster over here), but it is impossible to carry groceries and such on a bike ..... get a car, or something with 4 wheels. You will be glad you did.

Just my opinion

The other thread was meant to be informational about spotting potential pickpockets for those of us who do not have the luxury of a car. Then someone, hmmm, comes on and gives no pertinent information and just brags about the comfortable car they drive. I was only a little sarcastic and did not berate you in any way.

Now this thread is a bit OT at the moment so maybe we should get it back on track. And yes, I participated.

Turbota

Who am I to argue with a "Super Mod"

I will make every attempt to make my posts more informative and stay strickly within the topic at hand.

udonthani

it is not impossible, or even all that impractical, to carry groceries on a bike. Countless millions of people the world over do precisely that every day. Some people even move house, from province to province using a bike, take a look at this blog :

http://www.dutchpickle.com/philippines/ley...r-to-leyte.html

perhaps you'd better revise what is impossible and what is not.

cars are horrendously expensive in South East Asia and are an item that are massively more expensive than in the west compared to the price of other goods and services. Serviceable cars can be picked up in the UK for only about 40 hours minimum wage, i.e. the equivalent of about 8000 pesos in the Philippines. Though they are an asset that don't deteriorate as fast in South East Asia as elsewhere, they still deteriorate quite fast.