Chris24

Is A Multi-fuel Backpacking Stove Handy Vs. Useless In The Philippines

Chris24

Have any of you had occasion when you would have liked to have one of these available or stashed away somewhere, either during a prolonged brownout, road trip/motorcyle trip, other other reason?  It burns a variety of different fuels including gasoline, kerosene or even diesel fuel.  The background is that I'm thinking about getting a more basic version of this that just uses white gas (or in a pinch unleaded gas), but I'm at a life stage where I really want to limit how much more stuff I accumulate.   Choosing a model that could be of use in Asia would have added value, that is if it would really have a real world use. 

Or put another way, if you had one of these, would this be something you'd hang onto and bring along on a permanent move?

https://www.msrgear.com/whisperlite-international-2012

image.png.71aac884da641783bae463f2b2313a20.png

BossHog

Unless you're going on an ultra-light multi-day hike there isn't really a point is there?

I've used those things while camping; If you're going on foot around mountains in d'Phils it would be useful otherwise no.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

softail

Why not bring a regular 2 burner camp stove?

Woolf

to_dave007
2 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Why not one like this one, they are used all over ph

just do not buy refilled canisters

My suggestion also.  Butane cooker.  should be able to get canisters most places.  

I made myself a little "kitchen kit" for those times when we travel here..  Butane cooker has worked well..  and means hot coffee in the morning.

Edited by to_dave007

RogerDat

Don't use refilled canisters, you are not that poor, or you could not live here. Also, a multi fuel stove is OK, but  must be fume, and liquid free to ship it. And what ever is shipped with it will also stink. I have a gas GI stove that has my first name, and year born here. It has never been used, that's why i shipped it, and has still not been fueled in 14 years. If you want one like the picture, buy it just before you come here, I have not seen white gas here, and all is lead free.

The go to here is propane gas stove, with wood or charcoal as a back up.IMG_0653.JPG.3914761a57d51936fbb2b2d270426cab.JPG

• Like 1

GBT62

my GF tells me leaks/explosions of the refilled butane canisters are suspected and reported as the most common cause of the squatters area fires....

Popped up just now in a Cebu For Sale FB group  - part of the items under the heading "Moving Out" Lapu Lapu

Stove ...

image.png.7f27706f57d8302f952b6ae773a2a684.png

Canisters for same .... hardly fresh from the store :unsure:

Wording of advert states "gastove plus empty bottle butane" - ready for their next safe refill ?

image.png.a8c7e72c2504967167fc1a364d17d0e3.png

Edited by GBT62
  • Like 1

Chris24

Thanks, good advice, better to use and stock for what's common locally.  Those butane stoves are available here in the US for under $20, and of course the cannisters too.  I've read that butane is easy to handle due to its low vapor pressure (compared to propane), although for camping or travel it does not perform well in very cold weather.  Fine for SE Asia of course.

And for camping or emergencies there is always this:

• Like 1

Chris24
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 9:11 PM, RogerDat said:

Don't use refilled canisters, you are not that poor, or you could not live here. Also, a multi fuel stove is OK, but  must be fume, and liquid free to ship it. And what ever is shipped with it will also stink. I have a gas GI stove that has my first name, and year born here. It has never been used, that's why i shipped it, and has still not been fueled in 14 years. If you want one like the picture, buy it just before you come here, I have not seen white gas here, and all is lead free.

The go to here is propane gas stove, with wood or charcoal as a back up.IMG_0653.JPG.3914761a57d51936fbb2b2d270426cab.JPG

That looks like a good kit.  Would be fun it fire it up to see how well it works. 

• Like 1

RogerDat

I have handled this kind of stove after use. You would not want in your house after use, unless you enjoy gas fumes. I only bought this one because it had never had fuel in it, plus has my name and year of birth on it.

1128777968_Screenshot(268).thumb.png.d7be9862792e637f836d98deba86e750.png