Sign in to follow this  
Enuff

Retiring In The Philippines

Enuff

I think the Philippines is missing out on a lot of potential retirees.

Instead of building an IT plaza/city on the SRP they should be building a state of the art hospital and condos designed for worldwide retirees. Make it a simple process. At a couple small grocery stores, a few casual dining spots and some shopping. Make plenty of greenery and usable sidewalks.

The amount of nurses available and the money brought in would far exceed and call center. The weather is good and people are generally hospitable. No reason they can't get 50,000 retirees into there from around the world. I'm sure they could even sell healthcare and prescription plans as well.

The cost of senior living is through the roof in the USA and if seniors could save only 25% it would definitely add to their benefit.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Cgu
10 minutes ago, Enuff said:

if seniors could save only 25% it would definitely add to their benefit.

Most should already be able to save 25%. In the Philippines a retiree does not have to pay taxes - any other country I know of (maybe exception of Portugal) have to pay income taxes the income (pension) if they reside more than 183 days in one country.

lamoe
1 hour ago, Cgu said:

Most should already be able to save 25%. In the Philippines a retiree does not have to pay taxes - any other country I know of (maybe exception of Portugal) have to pay income taxes the income (pension) if they reside more than 183 days in one country.

As far as costs - my situation only - while some are cheaper  - many are the same and others are not -  the intangibles in the US can be priceless - infrastructure,  civic amenities, air / water quality, simple free venues for entertainment, reliable water / electricity

On the other hand quality of life on a personal level here far outweighs good beef, hot dogs, pizza, traveling at 75 Km / hr instead of 20, drivers who actually know there are rules of the road

• Like 4

Enuff
I'm talking about housing, meals & overall general care.

A room in a senior assisted living facility in USA is averaging $3,750 (p197k) monthly or $45,000 (p2.36m) a year.

Sent from my CPH1819 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

bob the builder

I dont retire for another 20 years but im sure i will end up back in uk,as i will be an old fart by then i would want propper health care and my family around. Im sure the philippines will be as expensive place as ive noticed in the last 9 years living here everything is going up, seems the only cheap things here now are beer and cigs.

• Like 1

savarity
I dont retire for another 20 years but im sure i will end up back in uk,as i will be an old fart by then i would want propper health care and my family around. Im sure the philippines will be as expensive place as ive noticed in the last 9 years living here everything is going up, seems the only cheap things here now are beer and cigs.
Besides labor, not much is cheap here, that's for sure.
  • Thanks 1

Dafey
1 hour ago, savarity said:
3 hours ago, bob the builder said:

Besides labor, not much is cheap here, that's for sure.

I disagree. I save a bunch of money retiring in the Philippines. Food, electric, housing, phone, internet....lot's of daily needs are super cheap here

• Like 5

Cgu
3 minutes ago, Dafey said:

electric

Electric?? In Europe I pay a fraction of the electricity bill here. 

• Like 4

Woolf
2 minutes ago, Cgu said:

Electric?? In Europe I pay a fraction of the electricity bill here. 

where in europe is that  ???

in denmark  it is close to 3 times as much pr. kw/h

savarity
I disagree. I save a bunch of money retiring in the Philippines. Food, electric, housing, phone, internet....lot's of daily needs are super cheap here
I could argue a bit on all of those, but electric really jumps out. Philippines has some of the highest cost of electricity in the world. Maybe the joke just went over my head though.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

wondersailor

It is all relative to where you live or, at least, familiar with. As for me,in a small city in Mindanao, I am saving at least 50% over the small city I lived in the southern US. Prices vary considerably from Manila to Cebu to the place I now call home. It's all relative.

• Like 5

Stewie47

I moved back to Aus after living in the Phils for a few years. I found that the renting of housing in the Phils much cheaper than Aus. The big minus for me in the Phils, were all the Immigration fees for me to remain there and then charge exit fees for me to leave after 6 months. Food and electricity costs were similar, but healthcare was a BIG minus.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dafey
4 hours ago, savarity said:
5 hours ago, Dafey said:

I could argue a bit on all of those, but electric really jumps out. Philippines has some of the highest cost of electricity in the world. Maybe the joke just went over my head though.

My electric in the US was 2-3 times what it is here

• Like 1

Davaoeno
12 minutes ago, Dafey said:

My electric in the US was 2-3 times what it is here

To put things into perspective so that your comment is easier to understand - are you saying that using the same amount of  power in the US you paid 2-3 times as much as you pay for that amount of power here??

Or are you telling us that you owned a huge house in Florida where you had central air and  pool pumps running non stop ? ^_^

• Like 3