Sign in to follow this  
davidt1308948988

Senior Discount

davidt1308948988

Is the senior discount available to visitors?

MickyG

Philippine citizens only

• Like 1

softail
3 minutes ago, MickyG said:

Philippine citizens only

That probably is the case, however, I have never been turned down. I ask, they take my drivers license, come back a few minutes later and all is good.  I don’t think that the business really cares because it is my understanding that they get reimbursed from the government anyway.

• Like 2

Woolf
1 hour ago, softail said:

I don’t think that the business really cares because it is my understanding that they get reimbursed from the government anyway.

I think that you are NOT correct there

I would like to see a link that could show it

To get the senior citizen discount you need at senior citizen ID, you can NOT legally get that as a foreigner 

If a business want to give you a discount  it is up to them 

https://www.lawphil.net/statutes/repacts/ra2010/ra_9994_2010.html

Section 7. Section 10 of the same Act, as amended, is hereby further amended to read as follows:

"SEC. 10. Penalties. - Any person who refuses to honor the senior citizen card issued by this the government or violates any provision of this Act shall suffer the following penalties:

"(a) For the first violation, imprisonment of not less than two (2) years but not more than six (6) years and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (Php50,000.00) but not exceeding One hundred thousand pesos (Php100,000.00);

"(b) For any subsequent violation, imprisonment of not less than two (2) years but not more than six (6) years and a fine of not less than One Hundred thousand pesos (Php100,000.00) but not exceeding Two hundred thousand pesos (Php200,000.00); and

"(c) Any person who abuses the privileges granted herein shall be punished with imprisonment of not less than six (6) months and a fine of not less than Fifty thousand pesos (Php50,000.00) but not more than One hundred thousand pesos (Php100,000.00).

"If the offender is a corporation, partnership, organization or any similar entity, the officials thereof directly involved such as the president, general manager, managing partner, or such other officer charged with the management of the business affairs shall be liable therefor.

"If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he/she shall be deported immediately after service of sentence.

"Upon filing of an appropriate complaint, and after due notice and hearing, the proper authorities may also cause the cancellation or revocation of the business permit, permit to operate, franchise and other similar privileges granted to any person, establishment or business entity that fails to abide by the provisions of this Act."

• Thanks 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, davidt1308948988 said:

Is the senior discount available to visitors?

The Senior Citizen Card is only available to Philippine citizens over 60. However, many businesses give a senior discount that is NOT covered under the law, and does NOT require a Senior Citizen Card to avail the discount. You can accept senior discounts all day long UNLESS they require the card. If they will only discount with the card, then you are out of luck.

So, the answer to your question all depends on what senior discount you are talking about.

• Like 4

MickyG
41 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

It it necessary to be precise in answering this question.

There is a Senior Citizen Discount offered by the government , and you have to be a Philippines Citizen to avail those discounts.

There are also many many senior citizen discounts offered by businesses to anyone 60 years or older- Philippines Citizen or not .

There is no blanket answer to this question. 

''There are also many many senior citizen discounts offered by businesses to anyone 60 years or older- Philippines Citizen or not .''

Name me any, as it would help point friends that way as I am way too young to qualify. 

When asked about a ''seniors benefit'', it may be prudent to stick with the government rules as being in default can result in a world of issues.

Headshot

Go through life not expecting a discount for anything. Then, when somebody gives you a discount, it is a pleasant surprise.

No foreigner has a right to a Philippine Senior Citizen Card, but many other discounts will come your way without breaking any laws.

Just as an example, parking (in the covered parking garage) is free for all seniors (not just senior citizens) at SM City Cebu. The lounges are free to all seniors at Ayala Center. The only thing required to avail of these discounts is an ID with your birth date on it.

• Like 1

Davaoeno
28 minutes ago, Headshot said:

over 60

that is incorrect .  Those who are 60 years old qualify

26 minutes ago, MickyG said:

Name me any, as it would help point friends that way as I am way too young to qualify. 

I will let your friends do their own research into the matter.  I'm too busy eating lunch  at my discounted restaurant Vikings .

• Haha 1

lamoe
18 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

that is incorrect .  Those who are 60 years old qualify

I will let your friends do their own research into the matter.  I'm too busy eating lunch  at my discounted restaurant Vikings .

20% off entire bill - correct?

Most places will split the discount if 2 or more people some don't.

Edited by lamoe

softail
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

I think that you are NOT correct there

I would like to see a link that could show it

To get the senior citizen discount you need at senior citizen ID, you can NOT legally get that as a foreigner 

If a business want to give you a discount  it is up to them 

I am merely sharing my personal experience. I guess I am the link. My only experience is at restaurants. Like I said, I ask for the discount, they ask for my drivers license, they do what they do and I get my license back. Nuff Said

• Like 1

the.lone.gunman

I use my ACR card in restaurants and get the senior discount 95% of the time. ACR is Philippine Govt. ID and is readily accepted. 

• Like 5

RogerDat

Wolf said "If a business want to give you a discount  it is up to them " so he also thinks that way about the discount.

• Confused 1

RogerDuMond
5 minutes ago, RogerDat said:

Wolf said "If a business want to give you a discount  it is up to them " so he also thinks that way about the discount.

What?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Rat
4 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

It it necessary to be precise in answering this question.

There is a Senior Citizen Discount offered by the government , and you have to be a Philippines Citizen to avail those discounts.

There are also many many senior citizen discounts offered by businesses to anyone 60 years or older- Philippines Citizen or not .

There is no blanket answer to this question. 

In other words, simply, if you are an alien and cheeky enough to ask for a discount you will most likely get one.  

wondersailor
3 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

'm too busy eating lunch  at my discounted restaurant Vikings

Vikings give a discount without a card?

liquido

i was at S and R a few days back standing in line at the snack bar..A young in front of me ordered like 3 slices of differant pizza and a chicken dinner.He had the senior card in his hand that he presented to the cashier and I also noticed it looked like his grandma was sitting in the senior chairs there next to the senior line because they were talking..So he got the senior discount because the family members helped get the food of course..My question is could that family get in trouble because from what I understand VAT is also not being paid to the government?maybe im wrong about the VAT?

Im thinking thats were the problem is,not paying the government the VAT..So I guess if your a foreigner 60 and over being a senior but not a senior citizen and the business gives you the 20% discount and you pay the VAT your ok? I guess im talking in circles.. haha

Edited by liquido
  • Confused 1

MickyG

I think the VAT is unaffected as the discount is on the bill then the VAT is added to the discounted bill.

• Like 1

wondersailor
4 hours ago, Woolf said:

As everything in the Philippines, what is written in the law is not the way it functions. I know several foriegners with official disount cards. It all depends on who you know/pay.

MickyG

For admin/mod

Would it be beneficial to have a thread where we can add businesses that do give a ''seniors discount'' to foreigners at their discretion.

I would suspect it will be for some of the larger chains as suggested Vikings? the local sari sari store may do but it will not be so helpful on a larger scale.

Just a thought

liquido

All my foreigner friends get 20% off at Mcdonalds by just using the ACR card..

• Like 1

Woolf

"In the availment of the privileges mentioned above, the senior citizen, or his/her duly authorized representative, may submit as proof of his/her entitled thereto any of the following:

"(1) an identification card issued by the Office of the Senior Citizen Affairs (OSCA) of the place where the senior citizen resides: Provided, That the identification card issued by the particular OSCA shall be honored nationwide;

"(2) the passport of the senior citizen concerned; and

"(3) other documents that establish that the senior citizen is a citizen of the Republic and is at least sixty (60) years of age as further provided in the implementing rules and regulations.

• Like 1

Woolf

"(a) the grant of twenty percent (20%) discount and exemption from the value -added tax (VAT), if applicable, on the sale of the following goods and services from all establishments, for the exclusive use and enjoyment or availment of the senior citizen

• Thanks 1

Woolf

Maybe it is time to post the below again , even if it was posted earlier in this thread

"(c) Any person who abuses the privileges granted herein shall be punished with imprisonment of not less than six (6) months and a fine of not less than Fifty thou

"If the offender is an alien or a foreigner, he/she shall be deported immediately after service of sentence.

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 2