Sign in to follow this  
smokey

Yearly Check Up

smokey

Every year or 6 months i go just what are they checking up for?

lamoe

To see if they have to keep asking us to come back?

They test for a variety of aliments via blood work and physical  to update history

Big C is one they check for

Edited by lamoe

Soupeod
3 hours ago, smokey said:

Seriously? Your Doc never explained or your didnt listen or you didnt go? 

Bro talk to your Doc who is the expert and go at least annually.

My trip to the Manila VA annual checkup is soon.

RogerDat

I have had everything re plumbed, and only have to go once a year. They also check if you are still alive, and confirm your refills.

colemanlee
4 hours ago, smokey said:

I don't go "never" why would I want a doctor to tell me I'm gonna die? ..most people who get a bad diagnosis cease living, I personally would rather just die...now days you go to a doctor, he tells you, you drink too much, you smoke too much, you need to change your lifestyle. 

Thats just stupid...live your life like you want to as long as you can....I'm 71 which is about 30 years longer than I thought I would get to.  I've taken care of my family, now I take care of me...the way I want to....its a just leave me alone attitude

• Like 1

Gus

This topic kinda interests me ..because having just spent 2 weeks in Australia visiting family.. And at age 71 , I thought I'd take advantage of the medical services offered me , and have a full medical check up ..
in fact just this evening I visited the doctor to discuss the results of my tests .
All good !
Blood pressure , liver function, kidney function, PSA - prostrate ..all good or normal .
Only downside was cholestrol , and then only marginal. Slight adjustment to diet will fix that .
Now, I havent had a checkup for years and years, and only really sucumbed to pressure from my kids to have one .
I'm glad I did .
I kinda knew I was healthy ..been exercising and eating right .lost 27kg in the last 12 to 14 months. So it was nice to get some affirmation that Im doing things right ( and maybe a little luck ).

On my way to Cebu later this week ..hope theres a coffee meetup scheduled soon .. Cheers G

Sent from my vivo 1713 using Tapatalk

smokey

I was told all is good psa slightly elevated just wonder what they check with all that blood they take

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jester

Went every 6 months for mandatory work physical.  Told everything was fine.  Go and am told cholesterol is too high and need to go on diet to try and lower it. 

Dr is telling me what I can and can't eat and nurse is handing me papers.  I stop Dr.  Look I say I do not drink, smoke or do drugs.  I am not going on a diet!!

I find out a couple years later that they have lowered the numbers for cholesterol is how I entered the too high zone.   Perhaps not selling enough medicine?? 

Some years went by maybe 15 and my cholesterol is again fine.  Go figure.

Dr explained some of the results but I cannot remember what they were, like trying to fill a sieve with water:cool_01:

petecebu
7 hours ago, colemanlee said:

I don't go "never" why would I want a doctor to tell me I'm gonna die? ..most people who get a bad diagnosis cease living, I personally would rather just die...now days you go to a doctor, he tells you, you drink too much, you smoke too much, you need to change your lifestyle. 

Thats just stupid...live your life like you want to as long as you can....I'm 71 which is about 30 years longer than I thought I would get to.  I've taken care of my family, now I take care of me...the way I want to....its a just leave me alone attitude

I tend to agree with this. Everybody has a body that reacts differently. Some people die of smoking at 35yrs, some live til death with no smoking issues and have smoked most of their lives. Same with drinking and liver problems.

Each to their own choices.

Aerosick
1 hour ago, petecebu said:

I tend to agree with this. Everybody has a body that reacts differently. Some people die of smoking at 35yrs, some live til death with no smoking issues and have smoked most of their lives. Same with drinking and liver problems.

Each to their own choices.

Had my yearly last month. Got lots of blood test results, but just wait for my Doc's reactions!

Usual remarks during the tests were: STOP SMOKING! Been smoking for 65+/- years, damage is done! (my last bad habit)

Getting to almost diabetic levels: WALK AT LEAST 25 MINUTES PER DAY AND EXERCISE MORE! Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!

I have been and do take several meds tho...

Goetz1965

I do it every 2 years, every time my doc tells me "You're totally healthy".
Still I feel old lol

Headshot

I just had my annual physical. BP is 120/70. All of my numbers are OK. My heart is still ticking. I'm good for another year. I go in once a year whether I need to or not (I guess it's a habit from the military). The only other time I visit a doctor is if I'm sick.

smokey

But what are they testing for u give blood pee in the cup take your bp 

Jester
24 minutes ago, smokey said:

But what are they testing for u give blood pee in the cup take your bp 

In my case I take several medications and all meds are hard on the liver.  So I assume that they are monitoring my liver would be one thing they are checking. 

Good question.

To complete the physical, your doctor may draw blood for several laboratory tests. These can include a complete blood count and a complete metabolic panel (also called a chemistry panel). The panel tests your blood plasma and can indicate any issues that exist in your kidneys, liver, blood chemistry, and immune system.

GBT62

Last year for the full medical requirement to get the PRA SSRV (by full I mean not the pretend LTO version ) - I went with the Executive Check-Up Unit service at Chong Hua.

It was very thorough (there are different options and levels of service) and included the blood tests, chest X-ray, BP, ECG etc.  Very convenient and efficient - they take you around priority lane style to the hospital lab and departments so waiting is minimal - with snacks and coffee in their waiting area anyway.

I wouldn't do it annually at my age - looks like a quite few people do as a few others were there at the same time - but maybe every 4-5 years if nothing indicates I need more. 

Can't remember exact cost - but to get Xray and all tests done so quickly seemed worth it. Have spent far too long in waiting rooms here for a minor op - so it was a pleasant surprise how quickly they did it all.

http://chonghua.com.ph/index.php/ecu/plans shows what tests they offer and perform.